miss sold a horse

nativetyponies

Visit site
Showing empathy by sharing experiences is what adults do, you don't seem to have that in yourself so understandbly you don't recognise it.

How someone can make such crass remarks on a thread of this nature is beyond sick, I hope you are sub 15 years old, at least you will learn to play nicely as you grow up.

"there, there, never mind" isn't going to get the OP to realise she wasn't miss-sold a horse is it?

And no, i'm old enough to not belong to the Blame Culture that most Sub 15 yr olds seem to want to sign up to.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
OP - a really sad story and a reminder to us all that it really is buyer beware.

Clearly you're not going to accept the vendor as a facebook friend - why would you?

Buying a horse is a risky business. We ask as many questions as we can about the horse, and why it's being sold. We sit on it for a few minutes and then announce our decsion. The decision to purchase is usually made within the first few minutes of viewing and it's only by having someone with us who will put on the brakes, bring us back down to earth, and ask the rest of the important questions that we haven't, that we can hopefully make an informed and sensible purchase.

Some horses can take an age to settle - my last one took a good 5 to 6 months. And particularly sensative once even longer.

My advice would be to learn from the experience - and buy with eyes wide open next time.

Many of us have been exactly where you are now......

BSJAlove

Visit site
wow! this thread is pretty scary now. i think OP did the right thing. you shouldnt confront the old owner. and as for a horse being mis sold, in my opinion, old owner new horse was difficult and could be dangerous and failed to tell OP this. how could you possibly forget to mention that and IMO mis sold. especially if drugged!! however, i have not read every single post so please correct me if OP did know :)

as for OP having bhs stage 3 and 4. why the sarcastic comments? i didnt feel she was bragging or anything? and besides, she openly admitts to having help beside her and she got a more experianced second opinion so why be so nasty? blimey i feel like im back at school. people are so judgemental :eek:

Tempi

Visit site
Im surprised no one else wants to know what the horse was actually doing that was so dangerous (apart from TGM).

OP - please tell me what the horse was doing and where/when/how often etc.

ossy

Visit site
Im surprised no one else wants to know what the horse was actually doing that was so dangerous (apart from TGM).

OP - please tell me what the horse was doing and where/when/how often etc.

I don't think this is really the issue the OP was wanting to discuss when she made the post and what some have seemed to have overlooked, in the urge to get a cheap dig in about things the OP may/ may not have done she that they don't agree with, but she actually wanted advice on how to deal with the old owners facebook request and has given us some background to why she needs help with this. If she wanted to go into the ins and outs of what the horse did i'm sure she would have earlier. At the end of the day to horse is already gone and by the sounds of it she had some more experienced people around her helping with that discussion.

With regards to the facebook thing I would be tempeted to tell her that unfortunatly the horse had to PTS and as she told you never to contact her again you didn't feel like you had to tell her and I would reject her friend request, leave it there and move on.

This post is prime example of what happens when you mention the PTS words in a forum on here, I have noticed before on threads that mention it that some people have such strong opinions on PTS that it turns into a bit of an agrument for and against.

The Virgin Dubble

Visit site
There are plenty of ways to have a horse behave well when being tried.....de-hydration, drugs etc.....So he could still have been mis-sold.

One word: Proof.

You are totally missing the point of my post.

It is not constructive to to speculate on what might have been wrong with this horse.
Speculation will not stand up in a court. She needs evidence, and without blood samples, she has no evidence.
She has also not been forthcoming with her opinions on exactly why she believes this horse was dangerous.

As I said in a subsequent post;
You could be totally in the right, or you could be way off the mark. You will never know, and for that reason alone, you should let this drop before the seller finds out you are accusing her of fraud without any evidence. Otherwise, unfair as it might seem, it could be you in the dock...

It's called offering constructive advice. Or maybe you think she should spend thousands on a court case she is unlikely to win... :rolleyes:

Half-Halt

Visit site
I think some of the comments on this thread are disgusting.
Unfortunately it's obvious some people thoroughly enjoy bullying and they must get a thrill from ridiculing others, else i have no idea why they do it - maybe it makes them feel better about theirselves.

OP - Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Genuine sellers seem to be getting harder to come by these days. Perhaps if you decide to purchase another, you could find a reputable dealer to find something suitable for you so as not to get "stung" again.

Tickles

Visit site
Agree with PeterNatt. You need to get professional advice.

If you're a BHS (gold?) member they have a legal help line you can call or you could try citizen's advice before you go for a paid-for option.

As far as I understand it though you would only be able to claim miss-selling if you'd asked/been told that the horse didn't do whatever it was you had it PTS for (poor animal, not necessarily the worst outcome for it, but poor animal nonetheless, think very long and hard before buying another if you can;t guarantee it a safe, if different than you intended, future...).

If the seller had exactly the same problems but was, genuinely 'only selling this horse due to the pregnancy' then she didn't miss-sell it unless she told you it didn't buck/spin/rear/bolt/whatever. I'm afraid the fact that she didn't want to take it back makes no difference either. People don't generally sell horses they want to/are able to keep.

Good luck.

And do think very carefully before any future commitments.

smac

Visit site
OMG what a thread! on the OP what a horrible thing for you to go through! I agree with ossy -

With regards to the facebook thing I would be tempeted to tell her that unfortunatly the horse had to PTS and as she told you never to contact her again you didn't feel like you had to tell her and I would reject her friend request, leave it there and move on.

I am not sure legally you have much of a case, but Im not sure that is what you were asking.

I think you made a brave decision and best of luck finding a new pony! If you are a little "nervous" about buying again, ask for a trial, some may say no but there are hundreds of people who will and you have time

misspepperpot

Visit site
^^^^^^ ALOT!!! believe me probably not worth it. I was taken to court when someone bought a yearing colt off me unseen (but vetted-passed) and she claimed it was infertile and had no testicles- it cost me £750 to get an equine solicitor just to do the paper work to defend me and that was with me doing a lot of it myself. Incidently she lost, we of course never got our costs back and she now has the horse standing at public stud!!!

ginadrummond

Visit site
Oh dear, a sad story. All horses are different in different circumstances and you will always get a honeymoon period of about 2 weeks (not 3 months) when the new horse is 'on the back foot'. Since I got back into horses I've brought 6 that haven't worked for me (I am pretty rubbish but do have stage 3) and in the meantime had a youngster in the field who has worked brilliantly for me even though I am really unconfident. You just cant tell. I don't think any were mis-sold to me though (and i've had loads of falls). Sometimes the way we react can really panic them (esp mares).

ThoroughbredStar

Visit site
Unfortunately it's obvious some people thoroughly enjoy bullying and they must get a thrill from ridiculing others, else i have no idea why they do it - maybe it makes them feel better about theirselves.

OP - Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Genuine sellers seem to be getting harder to come by these days. Perhaps if you decide to purchase another, you could find a reputable dealer to find something suitable for you so as not to get "stung" again.

I find it absolutely bewildering that adults (or believe to be adults) behave in such bullish ways on this forum. It hasn't escaped my notice that the awful, nasty, prevoking and mindless comments are left by the same people over and over again.

Cyber bullying has been well documented in the last few years and has been mainly high lighted amongst youths and children. Too frequently we hear of children harming them selves or becoming increasingly stressed, affected etc over the bulling they receive via net. It is NOT acceptable for children to behave in this way and the parents of bullies often get blamed and slammed for their kids behaviour. It amazes me that this kind of behaviour happens on this forum let alone be permitted. A certain number of members need removing from this forum as some of their behaviours are vile.

As for the topic of this thread I am sorry for your loss op.

ThoroughbredStar

Visit site

I find it absolutely bewildering that adults (or believe to be adults) behave in such bullish ways on this forum. It hasn't escaped my notice that the awful, nasty, prevoking and mindless comments are left by the same people over and over again.

Cyber bullying has been well documented in the last few years and has been mainly high lighted amongst youths and children. Too frequently we hear of children harming them selves or becoming increasingly stressed, affected etc over the bulling they receive via net. It is NOT acceptable for children to behave in this way and the parents of bullies often get blamed and slammed for their kids behaviour. It amazes me that this kind of behaviour happens on this forum let alone be permitted. A certain number of members need removing from this forum as some of their behaviours are vile.

As for the topic of this thread I am sorry for your loss op.

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I'm very sorry you have had such a bad experience, and I wonder if your horse was going through a similar thing to mine? My horse is 9 years old too.

My horse displayed very similar behaviour to yours. He was totally sound too, had all the checks done, several times over, and in the end it was only after x-rays that we discovered he was in fact in pain through his back, and the more pressure I put on my horse when ridden, particularly in the school, the more pain he was in. It was not apparant when the chiro or vet checked his back, he had passed a 5 stage vetting, and because he appeared to be so sound, the instructors just branded him an evil b*****.

I chose not to have the treatments, as they are very expensive, invasive to the horse's system (my boy doesnt do stress, and colic's easily), and these are not proven to work anyway, and I wasn't prepared to risk going through all that, to still have a horse who couldn't be ridden. He's now daily painkillers and I've retired him from ridden work, and he has turned into a sweetheart again. I'm going to do some in hand showing next summer, and I do lots of groundwork now and he is comfortable with that.

bonnie93

Visit site
i think if you had written this post in the english language we might be able to respond.

one does apologise for ones awful spelling, one did not realise that they had to type in perfect english to comment or post an experience on this forum.

i consider myself well and truly slapped on the wrist, i shall now go and sit in the naughty corner and think about what i have done :rolleyes:

pathetic, really, if you couldnt understand it then dear me you must be quite dumb, a few shortened words, not hard :confused:

Ted's mum

Visit site
one does apologise for ones awful spelling, one did not realise that they had to type in perfect english to comment or post an experience on this forum.

i consider myself well and truly slapped on the wrist, i shall now go and sit in the naughty corner and think about what i have done :rolleyes:

pathetic, really, if you couldnt understand it then dear me you must be quite dumb, a few shortened words, not hard :confused:

lmao! this made me giggle! x