Mollichaff calmer complete

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Has anyone ever fed this?
I've been recommended it and although I always thought all Mollichaff products were just cheap heavily molassed chaff I may be wrong here!
From the bit I read about it it's actually a total feed as it contains balanced minerals and vitamins etc but I'm not sure if it still contains molasses or would actually maybe be a good idea to try?!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
if you want to use it as a complete feed then you'd need to feed quite a bit of it - the recommended amounts should have been calculated to deliver the vits & mins for your average horse... so if you've got a 500kg horse a bag would only last a week ;)

Why have you been recommended it? It wouldn't be my first choice

ihatework

Visit site
I've fed it with no issue on a hot head.
It's nothing fancy, just a low energy molassess free chaff.
It's Alfa free if that's a concern, but otherwise not much different to any of the other commercial laminitic type chaffs IMO - you need to feed a shed load for the vit/min RDA.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
It was only in passing. I said about all chaff' s seeming to contain Alfalfa or Molasses or being unpalatable and it got suggested as being an easy option to try

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I use dried grass chaff when I need to add bulk, either emerald green or graze-on, cheap and cheerful , no rubbish and they seem to like it :)

GoneWithTheWind

Visit site
I love it!
Before this he was on apple chaff but did nothing for me
This is the mollichaff without molasses so brilliant for my sensitive sports horse
However I would expect you would need a lot to feed it on its own (I feed 1 cup full (200g) in each feed as well as cubes and a balancer and its done wonders for my horse)
Highly recommend it, I would never use another one.

spike123

Visit site
I switched to it a couple of years ago when my horse had to stay in one winter. It made a big difference to his stressy temperament and now I use it every winter. I have a horse that can't tolerate sugar and as its low in sugar and starch it seems to suit him well. I also don't feed it as a complete feed though

AppyLover

Visit site
Fed it last summer and loved it but but then changed to the dengie hifi lite as it was cheaper and it turned my nice and calm boy into a rageing nut case you couldn't do anything with without him bolting off or acting like a rude pain in the ass (it was practically rocket fuel to his system). Swapped back as he can't have molasses and now Alfalfa after 1 feed the next morning he was back to his normal calm self with his normal level of Appy attitude 😁

He gets it with a mix of nuts, speedibeet and soon when I find some around me Suregrow.

Bradsmum

Visit site
Reading this thread with interest as been looking for a widely available molasses-free chaff for ages. However, is it truly molasses-free? I've looked as various sites and none mention whether it does or does not contain molasses but sugar content is 7-8%. So to those who use it, does it have a coating? I thought all Mollichaff products contained it.

be positive

Visit site
Reading this thread with interest as been looking for a widely available molasses-free chaff for ages. However, is it truly molasses-free? I've looked as various sites and none mention whether it does or does not contain molasses but sugar content is 7-8%. So to those who use it, does it have a coating? I thought all Mollichaff products contained it.

I have found a list of ingredients and it DOES have molasses in it, I have never fed it to mine but remember feeding a friends pony and thought it extremely sticky so couldn't believe it was molasses free.

Straw, Fibre, Pellets, Molasses, Dried Grass, Soya Oil, Vitamin and Mineral premix, Herbs, Limestone, Salt and Flour.

I prefer to use a grass chaff that is completely molasses free, better quality ingredients mean no need to coat it in molasses to get the horses eating it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Thanks for that be positive. I'd not seen anywhere that mentioned molasses either.
Annoying!
For anyone interested Countrywides own natural chaff is simply straw, dried grass and mint.
Absolutely nothing else

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Mm, it was what we used as kids for our pony! (It was what the entire livery yard used) and I do remember big sticky smelly handfuls!
Why did ponies back then accept molasses etc so problem free?!!
I vividly remember people who could afford more than me buying bottles of molasses and pouring it all over their horses feed. One lady added it to her hay soaking water!

ihatework

Visit site
Mm, it was what we used as kids for our pony! (It was what the entire livery yard used) and I do remember big sticky smelly handfuls!
Why did ponies back then accept molasses etc so problem free?!!
I vividly remember people who could afford more than me buying bottles of molasses and pouring it all over their horses feed. One lady added it to her hay soaking water!

Probably because they worked harder and were less pampered!
I think there are very few horses out there that have a genuine intolerance to the small amounts of molasses found in feeds these days!

Bradsmum

Visit site
Thanks BP, thought it was too good to be true. To the person who mentioned Countrywide own chaff, looking at their website only brought up an economy chaff in their own range and it contained molasses - shame. I think it's about time that manufacturers caught onto the non-molassed market but we need it at a reasonable price. I cannot see how chaff can cost so much more when it's non-molassed compared to less than £10 for 15kg when it comes molassed. Sorry rant over!!!!!!

be positive

Visit site
Thanks BP, thought it was too good to be true. To the person who mentioned Countrywide own chaff, looking at their website only brought up an economy chaff in their own range and it contained molasses - shame. I think it's about time that manufacturers caught onto the non-molassed market but we need it at a reasonable price. I cannot see how chaff can cost so much more when it's non-molassed compared to less than £10 for 15kg when it comes molassed. Sorry rant over!!!!!!

Because the molasses covers up the poor quality ingredients that probably taste awful, an unmollassed plain grass chaff should be better quality to start with so will not need covering to make it palatable.
The first 2 ingredients in the calmer are straw and "fibre" the fibre is probably a waste product that has no feed value and is likely to taste dreadful, the 4th ingredient is molasses, the 5th dried grass so less grass than molasses, I wouldn't feed it as it seems like a waste of money however cheap it is they would be better having extra hay.

sem9999

Visit site
Have been looking at the ingredients, it's does not state molasses but does mention sugar which is 7-8% , so very small amounts.

Yes exactly, it is pretty low sugar.

One of the biggest error is to think that dark brown coloured molasses means lots of sugar.
It is not at all that simple and you cannot at all visually look at a chaff and the colour of the molasses coating and tell if it has high or low sugar. Colour is not an indicator of sugar level.

theopuppy

Visit site
Just got samples of Honey chop lite and healthy.. not a complete feed but looks like a good chaff with no molasses or rubbish. My fussy ones loved it. Just got to find a supplier now.

Jo1987

Visit site
Mine is on mollichaff calmer as it’s the only alfalfa free chaff that he will eat, he won’t touch the plain chop type chaffs unfortunately. I do add a couple of supplements to it as he only has a handful of it so wouldn’t get the benefit of the vits and mins contained in the chaff.