Monday Morning Disease

jemima

Visit site
Not only incredulous that no veterinary advice had been sought but incredulous that when when OP was answered with the correct information (call a vet) she was less than polite about it and wanted other advice which suited her better.

OP might I suggest that you go back and look at the first few replies you gave to people who had given you the correct advice and then if you need advice in the future come back and ask in an appropriate manner. I would suggest a name change as well. People on here seem very willing to help and very concerned for each others' animals but no-one likes to be spoken to the way you spoke to the people here trying to help you.

UKa

community.webshots.com
Please please call the vet if your mare is not right – I have a mare who has tied up a few times on me and it is a very distressing experience but only with a proper diagnosis you can give the right treatment! It is also a very dangerous disease and only the vet can assess whether the attack is “only mild” or not; and if the horse has some other condition they will also tell you so. Even if your mare is better after a day please let the vet look over her.

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
No one has turned this into a joke - it's not a laughing matter! I thought the original poster might be a joke because I can't believe anyone who has owned a horse for nine years is seriously so ignorant about the welfare of their animal.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
If you have to think about ANYTHING your horse is doing (differently) in terms of health or behaviour, the first thing to do is call the vet. It's normally free advice, may not result result in a call out and at least you have started the ball rolling and made a start to solving the problem by involving a professional.

Then come on here and ask - the vet says it's such and such, what should I do/expect/budget for!

You will be overwhelmed with helpful suggestions and anecdotes.

Tempi

Visit site
i smell a troll......

failing that magic fairy dust sprinkled on her twice a day (once in the morning and once in the evening) should help
grin.gif

samsaccount

Visit site
i smell a troll......

failing that magic fairy dust sprinkled on her twice a day (once in the morning and once in the evening) should help

haha

TiaPony

Visit site
guys, as much as we have our own opinions on what PeaElf should've done, we are all here for the same reason, to discuss the welfare of horses and our care for them. We all make mistakes, some worse then others and right now we are assuming about PeaElfs horses condition. i'm sure whatever PeaElf did was in what she believed was her horses best intrests. Instead of critizing her, could we please jus enforce the best possible way of helping her horse with regards to the vet and guide her through the worrying time of having her horse, her best friend ill?
x

TiaPony

Visit site
and PeaElf, this lot are decent and will help you out whatever, please jus show them some respect as they are showing genuine concern towards yoor horse x

Stella

Visit site
I find it incredible how many horse owners won't call the Vet when its clearly the thing to do. Its all the more incrediible because in the great scheme of horse owning, its not that expensive. Most call outs with a spot of medication cost less than a visit from a decent farrier, yet some people just won't pay a Vet unless the animal is lying down rolling in pain!!

PeaElf - Get the Vet to examine your horse when its clearly unwell and if you think it may not be necassary, ring and chat to them about it. That is free to do and the Vet is the best person to advise on whether he/she needs to examine the horse and on how you should best manage the problem.

Beanyowner

Visit site
I think you guys would be amzed how many people do not know what Monday Morning Disease/Azoturia/Equine Exertional Rhabdomyolysis (ERS) etc actually is. Some horses do not show true symptoms of it either.

If a case is suspected then definetly call the vet to take a blood sample...they will check the enzyme levels in your horses blood and treatment will continue from there.
Also may be worth adding a Vitamin E and Selenium supplement to your horses feed and preferably take your horse off any high energy concentrate you may be feeding.

Hope this helps.

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
well no not yet. if i had called the vet i wouldnt be asking here would i

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit rude given you're asking for advice
mad.gif

If azutoria is suspected the ONLY person to call is the vet!!