Money saving tips!

silvershadow81

Visit site
With all bills rising at the moment I though it may help everyone to share any money saving tips they have come across over their horsey years!!

My first would be a good tip (money saver!) for when your horse has an abcess in the foot and you have to change the pultice at least 2x a day and then end up dropping it in a puddle
mad.gif
....the packs of pultice you get through go up and up....

Purchase some cheap nappies (Aldi 20 for £2!) and these work wonderfully and even have the straps to help secure. (you will also need to cover with a bag and duct tape)

But much cheaper!!
laugh.gif

They also fit great around hock injuries!
laugh.gif

Any other money savers out there??!!
tongue.gif

dianchi

Visit site
contact local farmers in search of "carrot men"! Bags delivered to our yard are £1.50 instead of £4.50 from local tack shop/feed store.
Get the whole yard in on it and save a fortune!

Natch

Visit site
Ooh my fav topic!!
Own brand baby shampoo instead of horsey shampoo, baby oil, wet wipes make good eye/bum wipes etc
Many things like cotton wool rolls cheaper from Chemist not saddlery
Wash rugs that don't need re-proofing in the bath yourself
Stock up on swedes from supermarket end of day reductions, they still keep for ages.
Learn to sew or make a friend who does - lots of things easily repairable instead of throw away, e.g. velcro comes off something.
Do an occasionall reccy shop around for best price/quality straw, hay, shavings etc. don't assume you are still getting a good deal from your current supplier
See something you like in your local tack shop? If you can wait a few days for it, go home and mooch the internet to see if you can get it cheaper
Ebay is amazing!!
Get together with others to buy feed/straw etc in bulk
Look after your things - maintain tack and rugs etc, and if you have a theft problem on a yard a lock and chain is cheaper than constantly replacing things
Visit the pound/cheapo shop for storage boxes, sponges, vaseline, dustpan and brush, cheap small brooms make good yard brooms if you don't have to sweep the whole yard, laundry baskets make good skips

... told you it was my fav subject
grin.gif

brightmount

Visit site
Freecycle for wheelbarrows, yard brooms, buckets and pretty much anything and everything!

eBay for supplements and potions. American eBay for Cortaflex (Corta-flx).

Boot fairs for horse stuff that invariably looks grubby (horse stuff always does) but will easily clean up!

Big washing machine so you can wash your own rugs. Removable neck covers make rugs fit better in the machine. Reproof yourself with Nikwax. I find the sponge-on method the best.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Big bale haylage (if you have enough horse to use it up)

Second hand bins at the tack shop/equestrian jumble sales, got two lovely caveson nose bands for , some spare stirrup leathers and two peais of reins for under a £10 recently.

Dont be too proud to take your unwanted stuff to the tack room to sell on, its lovely coming away with money!

Less is sometimes more - got some exspensive camrosa shampoo two years ago, a tiny bottle, but it is so concentrated you only use a teaspoon or two in a bucket of water. Same with supplements. I swear by cortafelx. Its exspensive but you only use a tiny amount. I only use two pots a year.

Home made fly repellant - once you buy the essential oils you will be set for years.

Overalls - I bought myself and daughter a pair each (£4), it saves me a fortune on stained jops/washing powder etc. I can do morning stable in my work clothes, its also very liberating not having to worry in the slightest about getting mucky, they are also lovely and warm without being sweaty and bulky. On downside my daughter was hacking out in hers, made eye contsact with very disshy farm worker, then remembered she was weraring her fetching brown overalls!

I second walking away and thinking 'do I need this?' and also checking out prices online.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Ooh - also put the word out about things - that how I got in contact with my haylage provider. Its a good source of things like hard core, barrels for jumps etc

kit279

Visit site
Tent patches for torn rugs - no need to waterproof them.

Citronella/cold tea/detergent fly repellent.

Growing pumpkins on the old muck heaps and then feeding them to the horses.

Finding someone with an apple tree who is inevitably desperate to get rid of several tonnes of apples.

Converting the gas-guzzling 4x4 to Liquid Petroleum Gas (50p per litre).

Getting the hay off the field yourself - a bit back breaking but 80p a bale!

kit279

Visit site
I forgot..

Free rubber tyres from garages for feed tubs. They also make good jump fillers if you cut them in half and stand them up.

Tesco home delivery boxes makes good impromptu jumps - they have this funny little notch on them which is suspiciously like a built in jump cup! plus no-one will pinch them and you can stack them up on top of one another if you put the handles down.

xapplex

Visit site
mix up horse poo with water in a bucket and brush on the wooden fences and they dont chew the wood dont buy the sprays ect ...poo and water is brill and you dont have to replace posts

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Buy your feed skips from a builders yard. They are twice the thickness as the flimsy tack shop ones & at a fraction of the price. Colours are limited to black & yellow though.

Don't buy vetrap....... buy an alternative at half the price, & it's just as good.

Go to your local pound shop, you will find loads of things for your tack room & save a fortune.

Keep your tack clean & supple & it will last a lifetime.

fathorse

Visit site
Cut you own hay if you can...biggest money saver...and if you have too much hay for horse... sell it for profit and that's your horse's food paid for.

MagicMelon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
American eBay for Cortaflex (Corta-flx).

[/ QUOTE ]

Also the odd other thing is cheaper to buy from American EBay even with the postage back here. I've bought a lycra turnout neck cover (like Snuggy Hoods) for half the price and Splintex is much cheaper as well. Basically if its American made then it'll be cheaper (which makes sense really!).

ru-fi-do

Visit site
Great post!
smile.gif

Baby wipes can be used for allsorts, cleaning eyes, nose, bum, bridle, saddle.
Milton (baby sterilizing) fluid brings food buckets etc up like new.
I know baby oil has alreay been mentioned but it's aso great to use as a mud guard.
Avon skin so soft and fresh is a great fly repellent.
For a quick coat clean up us hot water, as hot as you can bare to touch with some vinegar and sugar. Use a flannel and soak in the water, squeeze out all the excess water so that you don't burn your horse the wipe over the coat, it steams out all the dirt and gives a lovely shine too!
Asda's smart price shampoo is fantastic for greys!

Ok I best stop now.......
smile.gif

sunlover

Visit site
I use a small squit of baby oil with hand hot water wrung out in a cloth as an alternative to a bath for a super shine. Another is to melt a bar of glycerine saddle soap in about 3/4 pint of milk, leave in a suitable container until set as a super saddle soap.

nuffield

Visit site
plait several strands of bailing string together to make lead ropes.
feed straights instead of commercially made mixes or cubes.
go barefoot
sell the trailer/box and ride at home intead of paying to ride elsewhere, eg at competitions

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
contact local farmers in search of "carrot men"! Bags delivered to our yard are £1.50 instead of £4.50 from local tack shop/feed store.
Get the whole yard in on it and save a fortune!

[/ QUOTE ]

Even better - check out where your nearest carrot processor is and buy direct. Carrots and parsnips £15 a tonne collected. Get some carrot sacks and sell 10 bags at 1.50 and you've covered the purchase price. Sell a few more and you've covered the fuel to collect as well.

wowser

Visit site

opps post it in new lounge before

4 bits of wood screwed together to make a square shape 2ft by2ft 4 small hooks some bailing string hung it from a beam so much eaiser to fill haynets.

my tip of the day

ponypatter

Visit site
apparently (I only know this by word of mouth) Dr Dave Marlin and Winergy researched electrolytes and the best thing you can do for your horse is use 1 part lo-salt to 2 parts table salt. V. cheap and best for ned!