Money saving tips!

Rubber matting to save on bedding- its saved us so much even with the intial cost.

Baby oil for mane and tail spray- put in spray bottle, spray on = shiny and tangle free + very messy hands

A friend of mine noticed that her local supermarket was throwing perfectly good carots and other veg in the bin. She asked the manager if she could take them off their hands rather than throwing them away, they agreed! Now she gets free carrots and veg every week which her horse loves. The veg is perfectly edible! Give it a try!

T_K

Buy some normal kitchen rubber gloves, get the smallest size that will fit you - always use the size guide on the back as different brands are different sizes. The gloves should be quite tight but comfortable. Wear a pair of fingerless gloves over the top or your normal gloves. You don't need to worry about you gloves/hands getting wet and cold! It's also a good idea to warm up the gloves before you put them on!

[ QUOTE ]
I actually weigh my haynets now, instead of cramming them full and finding most of it trampled into the shavings next morning...much less wastage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree - this is the way forward - you can find the 'optimum' amount to feed your horse and actually is a much more 'sophicsticated' stable management technique. Pat on the back for you!

burtie

Buy only what you really absolutely need, then buy the best you can afford and look after it.

Cut out all the lotions potions and supplements and buy decent quality big bale haylage (share with friends of only 1 horse). Very few horses actually need supplements.

clean tack after use, will last much longer. I only have front shoes on in winter, saves me 25.00 per horse every 6 weeks. Buy wormers in bulk with friends, saves a fortune. feed for workload, I have cut the cobs down by half in hard feed, not lost an ounce and look just as well.

find a yard with lots of grazing that will allow you to live your horse out, and only stable in emergencies , my horse loves it , oracan rug right up to the neck , company , not so much mud as 23 acres, trees for cover, visit once a day , and feed in winter , other owners keeping an eye out , no bedding , no mucking out etc, and when i start work at seven i havent got to go to the yard first, go at lunchtime

You might have to wait until the summer to use this one but. Lidl almond shampoo is 60p for a litre!! AND it gives them (especially bays and blacks) a REALLY shiny soft coat!! Well worth it!

my old boss used to use that spray on oil as coat shine, not recommended!!! but it did make the quarter marks look good and stay put. a non horsey one but saves me a load of money is magazines. I used to have a bad habit of buying two or three a week which really adds up. I commute a lot and now i just read them in the whsmith of the train station while i wait for the next train naughty i know!!!

If you keep your horse in at night, buy a cheap duvet to put under his rug for the cold winter nights- it'll keep him warm and costs way less than buying a thick rug or many thinner ones.