Moody and Biting

Rosieposy

New User
Visit site
Hi all,
I have a 11yo thoroughbred mare, who has become extremely moody. The main issues I have is with rugging her and grooming. She’ll swing round and give me a pretty hefty nip. This happens every time I do anything that involves touching her. She’s also really bad at being tied up, she’ll just pull back and stay the twine straight away. Does anyone have any advice for calming her down or preferable to stop her biting?
Many Thanks

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I always think, particularly when there's been a change, behaviour like this often indicates there is something not right with the horse. Have you changed anything in terms of her management lately? different feed/routine/yard etc? If not I'd be planning to make a call to the vet to get her checked out.

Rosieposy

New User
Visit site
I always think, particularly when there's been a change, behaviour like this often indicates there is something not right with the horse. Have you changed anything in terms of her management lately? different feed/routine/yard etc? If not I'd be planning to make a call to the vet to get her checked out.

Thanks for your reply, she’s been seen by the vet who checked for ulcers etc and nothing was found, she’s been on the same feed for quite a while as well. The only change is that she has been in quite a lot due to the inclement weather.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If she’s been in a lot her behaviour could simply be down to boredom and frustration. How much exercise is she getting daily?

Are you unable to turnout for some reason?