More confident riding alone or in company?

Which situation are you most confident in hacking?

• Total voters

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I was thinking today (though I have thought about this previously too) that I usually feel more confident riding alone then I do with others.
Saying that, I am ok with one other horse, but the idea of many more makes me feel more nervous, any one else the same?
I grew up hacking alone and do love it, and most of my hacking over the years has been solo, though I am on a busy yard with lots of nice people to ride with, I do love my solo hacking, plus actually I think I feel more confident and in control.

What do you think/feel?

ETS: Sorry that last option does not read too well, but hopefully you get the idea :) Just ignore the 'at' gawd knows where that came from

Last edited:

khalswitz

Visit site
Alone, because I do it more. I hate the excitability when there's lots of horses - and then you have to worry about looking after everyone rather than just yourself.

3Beasties

Visit site
I prefer hacking alone, especially if I plan to canter, as I can set the pace and dictate where we go! The rides on my own seem to be more productive than if I am company.

L&M

Visit site
Any, but then I am lucky to have horses that behave the same on their own as in company.

We hunt so they are used to group situations, but equally love the 'thinking time' when hacking solo.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I prefer to ride alone, I wouldn't say I was more confident as such, I'm just a miserable old cow who prefers the company of her horse to other people! However, my horse has absolutely no confidence on his own, so we now have to ride out with others as I've had a couple of nasty falls. One day I hope I'll be able to start hacking him alone again.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I get more done when alone as I can trot and canter when I want and for as long as I want, but dont mind company sometimes nice to have a chat walking along for a change, not bothered riding in a group my horses are ok its the other people I find you have to watch, many enjoy wreckless riding its not my thing galloping around out of control.

Baggage

Visit site
I get more done when alone as I can trot and canter when I want and for as long as I want, but dont mind company sometimes nice to have a chat walking along for a change, not bothered riding in a group my horses are ok its the other people I find you have to watch, many enjoy wreckless riding its not my thing galloping around out of control.

This 100%
My horse used to be so nappy I couldn't hack without a lead horse or a fight so usually hacked with company now 6 years she is great and we go it alone as have horses on our own land.
Given a choice though I'd hack alone anyways.

Pigeon

Visit site
Not bothered by either, though I prefer to go alone so I can school. Tbf my horse is pretty laid back about hacking, if he was the type to hot up in company etc I might feel differently.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I think I am a bit unsociable too, I love solo hacking, always have done like a few of you have said, you can go the speed and the direction you want. I have ridden in larger groups and all been fine but have also been out in groups and things have gone awry and what with bringing Nell on I feel wary of getting in a fix out in a group when she is so super alone. Interesting to hear what people think though, thanks for sharing.
JB, your post did make me laugh, perhaps instead of me saying I am unsociable I should admit I am a miserable old moo hehe!

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i now hack with one other horse for preference as my mare is very spooky and is much worse on her own. as i am a mature rider i seem to see more danger now and worry that if i come off and she runs off she might get hit by a car and i could never forgive myself...however i do like hacking alone if the horse is sensible...

X

xspiralx

I'm fine with anything really, however my preference is to hack with one or two others.

The reason is twofold. Firstly - safety. You never know what could happen out hacking or what you will encounter and I feel more secure knowing there is someone else around who could catch my horse/call an ambulance if we did have some kind of accident.

The second reason is simply that my horse is slightly better in company. He is confident and fine to hack alone, and I do hack solo most of the time but he does have a mildly nappy streak and can be a bit backwards thinking, and he is more forwards and settled with another horse.

Equally fine in a big group, but it depends who with. My horse is quite easily wound up so I would avoid hacking with people who struggled with control or went hell for leather all the time as he would go through the roof!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Am another who is pretty ambivalent really.

I prefer being on my own so can dictate pace, location etc & also I tend to work more on myself & horse then.

Not bothered if going out in big company (such as hunting etc) and fine to go out with another 2 or 3, but would not want to do it daily as I LIKE my communes with my Fuzzy :)

Madam Min

Visit site
I'll hack out with one or two others, up until this year, I'd never hacked out by our yard as although we have a large country park literally across the road, the road is really really busy and a proper rat run. Also most people on our yard had tended to stick to the big fields at the back. However there is a small group now that hack out and they were very kind to babysit my mare and I earlier in the year. We both loved it and once we got across the road onto said park we went for miles and miles. We all tend to respect each others wishes and will only canter in certain spots and if everyone is happy.

Shutterbug

Visit site
I dont generally mind - my boy is fine on how own, with another horse or on the beach - he got slightly more excited out hunting and reared which he has never done since - think his mind was a little blown that day lol. But otherwise hes great to hack out

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I do both but have less problems on my own because when I go out with another it's usually because I'm nannying them and I've had both the horses and riders do the most dangerous things. He doesn't bother about anything so gets collared to go out with young or nappy horses. My beastie is just a little squirt and the ones I go out with are usually a lot bigger. Over time, amongst other things I've had them - shy into mine and knock him into a deep ditch; whilst pulled over waiting for a car to pass other horse shot up my inside and pushed him into the path of a car, which fortunately stopped; spin round so its head came over the top of my pony smashed into me and knocked me off the back; gallop off and leave me while I'm leaning down fastening the gate...etc..etc.......sometimes I wonder why i do it because when I had a young horse everyone seemed to be too busy to go out with him :( Moan over.

Last edited:

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Both my horses will hack politely either solo or in company.

I normally ride out with a friend, who rides one of mine, so basically its two horses out with their fieldmates, so no issues of dominance/first -v- last etc. We have been in bigger groups, but find that because they're a pair-bond it can create difficulties on occasion, i.e. mare tends to "protect" her boy, and he, the great lummox, then goes into follow-the-bum ahead mode which makes it infuriatingly obvious that he spent a long time in a trekking centre.

So I find they go best with just the two of them; or solo.

I'm quite happy to ride out solo, but equally enjoy riding with a friend whenever she can!

Shantara

Visit site
I PERSONALLY prefer being with one other horse and a good friend. Ned however doesn't seem to be that bothered, though he does play off other horses. For instance, if I hack out with a bombproof horse, Ned will also be bombproof (which is why he's SO good out with a bike!) and if I hack out with a spooky horse, he'll get more looky and spooky.

Either way though, not too bothered!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I am happy to hack out on my own but love being able to hack out with my daughter now she has her own horse.

Aw, I miss that now. Daughter and I used to ride together everyday.

I usually ride alone because I have an aversion to pre planning hacks, but I do enjoy riding with a group or just one other. Sometimes hacking alone can become a bit 'same old, same old' so having someone to chat to is lovely. The horses enjoy the company too.
Solo hacking is generally nice as well as its just me and the horse exploring and I don't have to worry about riding with people who have no road sense or who don't show courtesy to motorists.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
We are very happy alone or in company - it might simply mean that I have to add a curb chain to his hackamore instead of the usual leather strap if we are to go in a straight line :D

KidnapMoss

Visit site
My pony is quietest alone and we can canter in open spaces. With more than one other he gets very hot headed. I only either like hacking with my husband or my friend if I hack in company as both have very sensible horses that I know will stop,if I hacked with an excitable youngster for example, pony would lose his cool! I like hacking alone but equally I like plodding along with friend or husband as I like chatting :D

Spring Feather

Visit site
It doesn't bother me whether I ride alone or with a large group of riders. I run a big boarding stable on my farm so sometimes there's loads of us riding out together and sometimes just a couple. Either way I'm fine with whoever I go out with, as I am going alone.