More feeds contaminated with zilpaterol

Velcrobum

Visit site
If the companies whose products are effected do not be proactive they will lose custom. What they need to do is put out information of products and batch numbers effected. This will allow those who will be potentially adversely affected to stop feeding the contaminated products. The rest of us who are not racing, FEI, national competitors will not be affected by the products potentially being contaminated by a banned substance. In PR terms it should be a win win for the companies. There are many people out there at affiliated competitions who could end up being fined if randomly tested which does happen!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site

Mary3050

Visit site
Hi guys,
We have seen tonight that happy hoof is included. Little concerned as we feed this our boy who has EMS which makes him have lami. We where told by the vets that if he gets it again and the bone goes he’s gonna have to be PTS. My other concern is that his owners we brought him of had been giving him steroids. The vet believe this is why he’s got EMS so young. So now a little worried as this is steroid although a very tiny amount.Weirdly he’s been gaining weight a little the last 6 weeks when we would usually see him lose it at this time of year.

I will ring the vet first thing but should I go up and give his meds which we only give if there a change e.g. diet, grazing etc . Part of me thinks i am worrying over nothing. But I can’t take the risk as it’s took us almost 2 years to get him right xx

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Hi guys,
We have seen tonight that happy hoof is included. Little concerned as we feed this our boy who has EMS which makes him have lami. We where told by the vets that if he gets it again and the bone goes he’s gonna have to be PTS. My other concern is that his owners we brought him of had been giving him steroids. The vet believe this is why he’s got EMS so young. So now a little worried as this is steroid although a very tiny amount.Weirdly he’s been gaining weight a little the last 6 weeks when we would usually see him lose it at this time of year.

I will ring the vet first thing but should I go up and give his meds which we only give if there a change e.g. diet, grazing etc . Part of me thinks i am worrying over nothing. But I can’t take the risk as it’s took us almost 2 years to get him right xx
If I was you I wouldn't feed happy hoof to an EMS horse generally as it does contain molasses (the current issue not withstanding) and would move onto a straw chop.

Mary3050

Visit site
If I was you I wouldn't feed happy hoof to an EMS horse generally as it does contain molasses (the current issue not withstanding) and would move onto a straw chop.

Thanks but the vet did him a feed plan. He’s a weird EMS he doesn’t hold his weight well now mainly due to medication. He’s also got feed allergies so he’s a special case xx

Visit site
Thanks but the vet did him a feed plan. He’s a weird EMS he doesn’t hold his weight well now mainly due to medication. He’s also got feed allergies so he’s a special case xx

I definitely wouldnt give an EMS horse mollases, Happy Hoof do a mollasses free, especially for laminitics.

Another thing for you to consider is that Happy Hoof (both versions) contains Alfalfa, doesnt suit a lot of horses, made 2 of my boys very foot sore.

What is he allergic to in feeds, perhaps we can help with a better feed plan for you.

Reactions: TPO

Mary3050

Visit site
I definitely wouldnt give an EMS horse mollases, Happy Hoof do a mollasses free, especially for laminitics.

Another thing for you to consider is that Happy Hoof (both versions) contains Alfalfa, doesnt suit a lot of horses, made 2 of my boys very foot sore.

What is he allergic to in feeds, perhaps we can help with a better feed plan for you.

Thanks are you a vet ?

We had him on the molasses free but he was very skinny to the point where both me and the vet was very concerned you could see all his ribs and hips. Despite having every test under the sun. She said because he only has a small amount of chaff he would be okay and his mash.
Alfa Alfa one of the few things he’s okay with.

PurBee

Visit site
Gosh - thanks for this thread....i use gain opti care balancer and didnt know about this! Will have to check batch numbers.
my supplier hopefully knows about this as usually they order in the bags for me due to no-one using it so possibly has bags waiting for me that are/should be recalled...will have to check!

dont need my horses on growth hormone, jeeezus!

Nicnac

Visit site
Unless you're competing affiliated and at risk of a drugs test, I really wouldn't worry too much. The amounts are minute and out of their systems within 3 to 4 days.

PurBee

Visit site
Stupid question but one would assume the Happy Hoof molasses free is ok?
Should be as the contaminant is in a batch of molasses shipped out to various feed merchants adding it to their molasses mixed feeds.

The opti care balancer pellet from gain i get uses molasses to bind the pellets i believe....just checked my bag almost finished...its a contaminated batch. Will ring supplier tomorrow and discuss as they stock bags for many weeks, probably still have a load of batch 2029-2040 on their shelves.