More revelations on AHAR

paddi22

Visit site
the place just looks like an absolute kip though. whats the point of rescuing and keeping them in limbo in a horrible set up. We have 5 rescue horses plus foals at the moment, I would love to take more and but at some stage you have to stop and assess at what level do you provide the best quality of life for them, and at what level are you financially secure enough to take them and keep them secure without demanding others help you out.

That person who runs it is an animal hoarder who gets a high off appearing like a saint.

I can't give cash to those types of charities anymore. The money is better going to proper retraining and rehoming charities who have correct policies in place for finding horses new homes.

stormox

Visit site
You seem to know a bit about it Equi, so is all the money coming from private donations? She must be doing very well. Surprising with all the bad press.

A lot of the money is private donations, have you seen their FB page? Pictures are posted of some injured/skinny/deformed animal, whether it be horse, dog, even magpies and crows, and donations are requested to 'save' and 'treat' it. Many people from America and other countries give money. Indeed, the farm (was Nolans equestrian centre) was purchased for them by a benefactor a few years back. Prior to that they were renting a farm and not paying their bills so were evicted, or about to be - I believe they still owe money there!!

Irish gal

Visit site
Unbelievable Stormox, fb is even better than can be supposed if that's the case. Hard to believe someone would outright buy her a farm without stringent conditions that had to be met on an ongoing basis. It's a scandal really that she can get away with it.

stormox

Visit site
I think it was bought for the AHAR rescue, not Suzanne Gibbons personally, and it is in a trust or something- she is the manager and founder of AHAR. But yes, the donations received are amazing, you only have to read the page to see that. And theres a new 'urgent case' or 'code red' every few days. It is a very biased page though, if someone queries something, or asks a question they dont like, your comment is instantly deleted and you are banned from commenting. She is definately a hoarder, she cant cope with the amount of animals she has but keeps buying more, I really believe she is a bit mad, a bit like one of those religious cult leaders.

Equi

Visit site
You seem to know a bit about it Equi, so is all the money coming from private donations? She must be doing very well. Surprising with all the bad press.

Yes all private donations and rehoming money. They rehome many animals to England and beyond because there is a higher price to adopt plus the shipping.

It's all information easily found on the Internet by the way. I've never been near it.

Leo Walker

Visit site
She gave 4 to a friend of mine within 6 weeks. My friend is very competent and capable but she did zero checks, just dropped them off with her, and to be fair, my friend wasnt in a particularly stable place in her life and wouldnt have been someone I was off loading horses onto. 3 gained weight and were turned around. The 4th put my friend in hospital and she doesnt come off very often! He clearly has huge issues, which is probably why he ended up where he is. Luckily my friend is doing the right thing by him, but he could easily have killed someone and/or ended up in exactly the place he came from!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
She gave 4 to a friend of mine within 6 weeks. My friend is very competent and capable but she did zero checks, just dropped them off with her, and to be fair, my friend wasnt in a particularly stable place in her life and wouldnt have been someone I was off loading horses onto. 3 gained weight and were turned around. The 4th put my friend in hospital and she doesnt come off very often! He clearly has huge issues, which is probably why he ended up where he is. Luckily my friend is doing the right thing by him, but he could easily have killed someone and/or ended up in exactly the place he came from!

Crikey that is really scary, Im not surprised though, same with the dogs which are not assessed and go out to homes with children having come in from the pound with an unknown history. Im surprised no one has not been badly injured before or god forbid killed.

I forgot to ask did they come with passports and when was this.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have no idea about passports, I can prod her and ask as she no longer has any dealings with them. But I cant imagine she would openly come out against them. Shes had a bit of hassle on social media already after she had dealings with another nutcase in that location, so shes keeping a bit of a low profile at the minute!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I would be interested to know when this was and if passports went out with them, no one can identify her and I can understand the need she has for anonymity given their habit of threatening people and sending nasty pms..

Equi

Visit site
A while back they did a massive 80 horse from meat man deal. They were shipped all over the country in a matter of days with no passports no home checks no vet checks just basically pick one and give us 50£. Many went to notorious dealers and many were gone never to be heard from again. One caused a strangles outbreak in an area that had not had one before.

stormox

Visit site
I have actually seen (didnt buy) horses that have been passported by AHAR -LHI passports, AHAR prefix- being offered for sale on donedeal after being re-homed.
I also had a friend who rehomed a 4 year old gelding (according to her page) no home check, luckily my friend is experienced coz when he arrived he was a 2 year old colt!

Last edited:

ElectricChampagne

Visit site
I heard of a tale through a friend that agreed to take a broken 6 year old gelding, 16hh or so. She was in work and arrived home to find an un cut 2 year old 13hh colt dumped in their fields and AHAR admitted to doing it. He broke every fence and tried to get in with her mares
She asked her to take the obviously dangerous and unhandled yoke back and got nothing but threats and lies. Only when the colt was threatened to be shot (it was unhandled and very wild to the point of dangerous) did she re-appear to collect it.

Sob story went up on FB then about it to get more donations.

The Strangles issue was disgraceful, AHAR even tried to discredit other proper and well run charities over it. Basically she dumped and transported several strangles (and obviously so) riddled horses into a few yards.

Took no responsibility and denied it all.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'm sure they would have gotten an accurate representation had they announced they were a journalist wanting to visit :rolleyes3:

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
That was my point? I imagine they didn't think they would get an accurate representation on an organised, pre planned visit. . . .

WeeLassie

Visit site
Ah yes, the one where the journalist refused to visit the rescue. Not biased at all of course.

Which journalist was that? I saw a post on their page where a journalist had gone there unannounced and they wernt happy!! Also saw on their page she has a goose in her house- that doesnt seem right, I think he needs to be outside with access to a pond

Mollylittle

Visit site
As far as I know she still writes for the Mail.She also declined the invitation to come to ahar and being 'shown' around. obviously with an appointment. Given AHAR's track record of hiding things in all kind of remote locations or hiding animals away she felt that to be a useless exercise.

stormox

Visit site
As far as I know she still writes for the Mail.She also declined the invitation to come to ahar and being 'shown' around. obviously with an appointment. Given AHAR's track record of hiding things in all kind of remote locations or hiding animals away she felt that to be a useless exercise.

Agree- like the Niall Boylan show, where she just happened to get called out on a 'rescue' during the interview......