More revelations on AHAR

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
So did they use this trailer/transporter or did they nick the photo off the Internet and said this was the trailer they used when in fact they used another? Sorry, confused.

Sorry I meant further up this thread where they had stolen a copywrite picture of an Irish fair to put on their facebook, the AHAR supporter posting had previously said that it didn't matter that it wasn't a picture of the right fair if it wasn't copywrited. Reverse google image searching proved it was copywrited and that the picture had been cropped to remove that bit. So I posted the link so as not to be hypocritical ;). That trailer is what delivered the horses, it is not lifted from elsewhere.

ester

Visit site
The livestock trailer is precisely what it says on the tin: for transporting livestock, nothing wrong with that.

I can't quite believe that I am (sort of) defending something of which I strongly disapprove, but the tone of this post is unpleasant and accusatory. Perhaps you are unaware of the situation in countries other than your own (I am aware that there are posters here like myself from Ireland). This is a registered charity, operating outside of the remit of the ISPCA but subject to government regulation; it is a "private" rescue, of which there are several in Ireland.

I cannot speak for them (they are voluble enough at that themselves), they are not "selling" animals - all rescues ask for a donation, they would'nt be able to continue without. I am about to collect a dog from them for which I paid a donation (direct to the vet) which I know does not cover the full cost of neuter/vaccs/micro chip. I have another dog from another rescue for which I also paid a donation fee.

As far as I know horses are vaccinated, wormed, de-loused, castrated, passported and have farrier and other necessary vet treatment before they are rehomed, but they are not a training establishment, any more than the RSPCA is. I volunteer my time when I can to the local ISPCA horse centre to handle horses for them, and have backed a few that were suitable, something that vastly improves their chances of getting a home.

These people are trying their best in the midst of an absolute avalanche of neglected, unwanted, abandoned animals. The answers are complex, largely rooted in stopping the breeding of these creatures in the first place. No, they should not be buying horses from the meat man; that is where I think the vast majority of these horses should go. But please don't trouble yourselves thinking there are vast profits being made, or that money is the motivation behind AHAR's actions. For the non-equines they are doing SOMETHING in a situation in which the alternative is NOTHING.

In which case maybe we should get back to the original point of this post which was that poor darn pony that they have openly lied about because the photos tell a completely different tale to the one they are peddling.
I don't think money is being made etc etc, it is all about one persons ego and saviour complex regardless of the consequences for some of the animals, particularly the ones which are best for fundraising.

Fwiw I have no major issue with the transport method.

Last edited:

Kaylum

Visit site
The livestock trailer is precisely what it says on the tin: for transporting livestock, nothing wrong with that.

I can't quite believe that I am (sort of) defending something of which I strongly disapprove, but the tone of this post is unpleasant and accusatory. Perhaps you are unaware of the situation in countries other than your own (I am aware that there are posters here like myself from Ireland). This is a registered charity, operating outside of the remit of the ISPCA but subject to government regulation; it is a "private" rescue, of which there are several in Ireland.

I cannot speak for them (they are voluble enough at that themselves), they are not "selling" animals - all rescues ask for a donation, they would'nt be able to continue without. I am about to collect a dog from them for which I paid a donation (direct to the vet) which I know does not cover the full cost of neuter/vaccs/micro chip. I have another dog from another rescue for which I also paid a donation fee.

As far as I know horses are vaccinated, wormed, de-loused, castrated, passported and have farrier and other necessary vet treatment before they are rehomed, but they are not a training establishment, any more than the RSPCA is. I volunteer my time when I can to the local ISPCA horse centre to handle horses for them, and have backed a few that were suitable, something that vastly improves their chances of getting a home.

These people are trying their best in the midst of an absolute avalanche of neglected, unwanted, abandoned animals. The answers are complex, largely rooted in stopping the breeding of these creatures in the first place. No, they should not be buying horses from the meat man; that is where I think the vast majority of these horses should go. But please don't trouble yourselves thinking there are vast profits being made, or that money is the motivation behind AHAR's actions. For the non-equines they are doing SOMETHING in a situation in which the alternative is NOTHING.

I just wondered as I have never been there or heard of them until I read this and looked at their Facebook. Fair enough. I guess it is better than nothing especially if they castrate.

ester

Visit site
Lets hope they have turned a corner and are castrating, passporting and chipping before rehoming to the homes that are expecting the animal they receive.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
The thing that bothers me, Cortez, is not the 'above board' FB and 'sat afternoon visiting' picture of the place. Thats all perfect, I am sure. (Well, it is, Ive been) its the fact that the manager seems not to be able to see sense at times. Putting a wild rabbit with mixi in intensive care, amputating the wing of a magpie, keeping a dying donkey in her sitting room, keeping the coloured pony with contracted tendons and associated club foot alive (and IMHO suffering) taking in dogs and horses which she has no room for, which are perfectly healthy animals for sale at a fair, they aren't all being cruelly treated - a true animal lover, and manager of a rescue should be more selective in how they manage donations.
I am not sure where this last lot came from, it cant be far from their premises as at 4pm they were asking for donations and transport help, and at 7pm approx they had arrived in the big truck, which presumably cant travel very fast. But if anyone asks a legitimate question, such as "How come 'the meatman' has so many unpassported equines " on their FB page they aren't answered, just comments deleted and banned.
I think they would do themselves a BIG favour if they stopped banning people who asked legitimate questions and answer them truthfully. I dont expect them to be 'open all hours' for the public, just to be more open and honest. For example -IF the Rottie x pups died of parvo, (and this is purely an example of a question someone has asked) admit it- they probably had it when they arrived, it wouldn't be AHARs fault if they couldn't be saved, why not just tell the true story?

Yes, all that bothers me too; a LOT, but it also bothers me that people are jumping on the bandwagon to denigrate someone who is doing some good. I havn't been there yet (will be picking up a dog next week), but I have friends who have and the place is certainly not the hellhole that some people are saying it is, nor is the proprietor an animal hoarder, nor making a fortune from selling horses (the two would be mutually exclusive anyway). I expect that the truth is somewhere in between the image they portray and the rather hysterical allegations being made.

It is easy to criticise, but it rubs me up the wrong way when someone who is doing SOMETHING, albeit IMO misguided, is criticised by people who in all liklihood have done...what? And now the pack are worrying away at the method of transport? Nothing wrong with transporting animals in an animal transporter.

ester

Visit site
Nope I'm still worrying about the pony who started this thread, not the transport, nor do I think they are making any sort of money from the outfit. But I do think they mislead and lie to people in order to get donations, that is wrong.
Out of interest do you have any other dogs? Have you had any sort of home check?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Nope I'm still worrying about the pony who started this thread, not the transport, nor do I think they are making any sort of money from the outfit. But I do think they mislead and lie to people in order to get donations, that is wrong.
Out of interest do you have any other dogs? Have you had any sort of home check?

Yes, I have a dog from another rescue (also private, also quite ramshackle, also struggling and overwhelmed). I have had two homechecks, one from the ISPCA and one from our local rescue (CSPCA). I had to provide a copy of the ISPCA report to AHAR, also an e-mail from my vet, and they phoned them. I must say AHAR were quite thorough. In my quest to replace our recently dearly departed dog I have been to a number of rescue centres and county pounds - the scale of animal neglect is appalling here.

Edited to add: I entirely agree re the pony being talked about in the OP, abuse upon abuse. Shocking.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Yes, all that bothers me too; a LOT, but it also bothers me that people are jumping on the bandwagon to denigrate someone who is doing some good. I havn't been there yet (will be picking up a dog next week), but I have friends who have and the place is certainly not the hellhole that some people are saying it is, nor is the proprietor an animal hoarder, nor making a fortune from selling horses (the two would be mutually exclusive anyway). I expect that the truth is somewhere in between the image they portray and the rather hysterical allegations being made.

It is easy to criticise, but it rubs me up the wrong way when someone who is doing SOMETHING, albeit IMO misguided, is criticised by people who in all liklihood have done...what? And now the pack are worrying away at the method of transport? Nothing wrong with transporting animals in an animal transporter.

As Ester said back to the original post, do you find that acceptable because I and others dont, its not a one off either as per the poor donkey Kaylum, there are loads of other instances as well. Just because some make it out to good homes doesnt make it right if its at the expense of others, where do you draw the line and it is about the money. If you add up what people are donating it runs into thousands, where is this money going.

In the past they have had huge fund raisers for things like the hoist and one man even made a huge donation in memory of a family member, it never materialised, it was never mentioned again. If anyone asked about it their comment was quickly deleted and they were banned, does that sound like a responsible rescue?

When its open to the public everything is pristine, of course it is but there are areas you are not allowed to go, as we have seen with Hero there is a very good reason for that, how many more animals like Hero are shut away from the general public.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
As Ester said back to the original post, do you find that acceptable because I and others dont, its not a one off either as per the poor donkey Kaylum, there are loads of other instances as well. Just because some make it out to good homes doesnt make it right if its at the expense of others, where do you draw the line and it is about the money. If you add up what people are donating it runs into thousands, where is this money going.

In the past they have had huge fund raisers for things like the hoist and one man even made a huge donation in memory of a family member, it never materialised, it was never mentioned again. If anyone asked about it their comment was quickly deleted and they were banned, does that sound like a responsible rescue?

When its open to the public everything is pristine, of course it is but there are areas you are not allowed to go, as we have seen with Hero there is a very good reason for that, how many more animals like Hero are shut away from the general public.

No, I do not find it acceptable, and I profoundly disagree with a lot of the sentimental guff being spouted on their FB page. Keeping animals alive that should be put out of their misery, prolonging life so that "he can die surrounded by love" is both cruel and stupid.

But ganging up and criticising perfectly legitimate occurences and practises is just hysteria. I am quite sure there are areas off limits to the public in any sanctuary, it doesn't necessarily mean there are sinister goings on.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Highlighting an act of cruelty and neglect is not ganging up, its not criticising for criticism's sake but bringing to the wider public a side to Ahar they would rather people didn't know about or talk about it, certainly not on a forum such as this with its wide audience.

I would love for them to do what responsible rescues do and be open and transparent but until that day I will continue to highlight the cruelty and neglect.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Highlighting an act of cruelty and neglect is not ganging up, its not criticising for criticism's sake but bringing to the wider public a side to Ahar they would rather people didn't know about or talk about it, certainly not on a forum such as this with its wide audience.

I would love for them to do what responsible rescues do and be open and transparent but until that day I will continue to highlight the cruelty and neglect.

Please do, I think it is vital that hyperbole and sentiment does not cloud or disguise less than responsible management of animals in distress. But I think some posts are just as guilty of exactly the same sort of wilful blindness and hysteria. Far more helpful to actually do something about it, rather than just sit back and take potshots.

ester

Visit site
It's taking the information as a whole though isn't it? It isn't picking up on individual practices or the fact that there are off limit areas its the small and larger things that build up to the bigger picture. One that they don't really see when they are out there buying animals in fair condition at markets and 'saving' animals in good condition from the meatman - given the recent delivery.
When they get a genuine welfare case that really needs their help they seem to fail miserably :(.

I also think the off limits areas things has only been brought up because they say 'come and visit, you will see everything we do is great' or along those lines when actually logic says that isn't really going to prove much.

Last edited:

Kaylum

Visit site
Don't you think the visitor off limits places might be to do with insurance as if those parts are ramshackle then you wouldn't want the public tripping up and getting injured? Just a thought?

ester

Visit site
No, every rescue should have off limit areas as they always need space for some of the animals that need to not be disturbed. I would absolutely expect it, I just don't then think a visit is a means of proving everything that goes on.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Don't you think the visitor off limits places might be to do with insurance as if those parts are ramshackle then you wouldn't want the public tripping up and getting injured? Just a thought.

I think thats a given and applies everywhere such as zoos,castles etc but as Ester says put it all together and you have a very worrying situation.

Equi

Visit site
Don't you think the visitor off limits places might be to do with insurance as if those parts are ramshackle then you wouldn't want the public tripping up and getting injured? Just a thought?

They are closed off because they have animals in unsuitable situations. A parrot was (and possibly still is) housed in an attic cage above the stables/barn - no light or ventilation or stimulation at all. When pictures of the birds housing surfaced they went mad and instead of saying ok not the best place for the bird, they deleted everything and the bird was never mentioned again. What sort of place BANS phones and cameras. The local horse charity here gets loads of pics taken on its open days. I went up once for a bit of volunteering and I was welcomed with open arms.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Thank you to all of you, who have been messaging me privately with your concerns for Millstreet horse fair tomorrow.
Yes last year we took 3 orphan foals, 9 ponies, 12 dogs/pups and 5 roosters but we just saved 26 equines from an uncertain future and their fundraiser is just about ticking over.
Children have just gone back to school. God love you as parents its all so expensive now. Money is so tight by everyone.
You, my team and I. As an army have and are breaking our backs scrounging funds and saving as many as we can on full throttle every day of every week. Without question we are on the front line. No fear and hitting a huge success rate.
AHAR is run by volunteers who personally made a commitment to come to my side with my dream and help me just like you. We all made the choice to sign up for this powerful army. We have changed history. Over and over again.
Unless a miracle of some sort happens tonight with funds. Sadly. We will not be at the fair tomorrow. I know a lot of you will say ( because you care. Thank you xx )
Suzanne you cant save the world, but I will always respond with, just let me try.
All I can promise is. As of now. 22.10 Saturday evening and 7pm tomorrow night.
Any donation made will be used for an animal from the fair.
Is that ok? And then Monday we will go back to the 26 equines.

Another buying spree, they already have an additional 26 horses but they are going to buy more if the donations roll in, most of their volunteers will be back at school so how the hell can they look after them properly.

puppyalert

Visit site
Still no further update or information regarding Hero, can only suspect wha thas happened. However, today they have written this:- Animal Heaven Animal Rescue
12 hrs ·

Glin horse fair Co. Limerick is the final fair of the year and its on this Saturday.
Thanks to your adoptions yes we can now do the last fair of the year. We will have space.
17 equines leaving tomorrow for the UK.
More equines leaving for Irish homes next week.
Also we are planning the Northern England and Scottish equine trip.
13 dogs leaving AHAR on Saturday to Irish homes.
28 dogs leaving for the UK.
Our re homing is a massive success.
As its the last fair this year we are expecting the worst but lets hope we are wrong.
Tonight we are going to start the fundraising and we'll do what we can on the day, like always.
If you would like to support this mission and help us take animals from the fair. Just follow our pay pal link to donate.
I'll be glad when they are over, even if its only for a while. But then the dumping starts so Im not sure which is the lesser of two evils.

END

Why are people prepared to adopt an equine unseen, I do not understand this maybe someone can explain please? How sound are these equines when they have been purchased from fairs and the 'meat man'? I guess they mean dealer who has acquired equines from the meat man. How can AHAR ensure the equines are going to a good home, if a vets letter if that is what they ask for adequate? Are all these equines healthy or is the UK becomming an easy option for another countries unwanted via AHAR?

stormox

Visit site
They were meant to have bought 17 dogs at killorglin Nov 18th. I was there, very small fair in a small car park. There was a pen of cattle, about 5 cobs, a nicely turned out driving pony a shetland, 2 pigeons and a few hens. I am sure there were no dogs there at all......
I wonder when they put 'dogs leaving for UK homes' do they count those going to the rescues?

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
I know of someone locally to me in Kent that homed a pony from AHAR. It arrived and actually had a passport. The person had issues with the pony and tried to contact AHAR to sort it out or send the pony back, they ignored all calls/messages and eventually blocked the person on Facebook!

I don't know what became of the poor pony in the end, last I see it was advertised on Facebook for sale as AHAR wouldn't respond to the person!

stormox

Visit site
I saw that- it was a rig. she put it on a FB site for £100 and I think she ended up giving it away ( or she put on the FB comments to her ad she would to someones question. she was so deparate, poor girl

Dancing_Diva

Visit site
I felt for the pony. The girl who had him is very well know sadly for getting something then few weeks down the line no longer wanting it and getting rid!

Still doesn't make right what this charity have done and continue to do!

squirkle

Visit site
This place, ugh. A friend of mine who fell on really tough times had to give up her husky for his own sake, he was always VERY well cared for and went to AHAR happy and healthy. It broke her heart. But what was worse was when a few weeks later a picture of the dog popped up all skin and bones and patches of missing fur with a huge sob story of how he had been kept on a chain in a tiny concrete yard and starved, only being fed once a week. When she tried to defend herself she and a load of us got blocked.

The owner is a hoarder, she whips up sob stories to gain more donations then the animals go to their foster homes, where they apparently stay forever most of the time as there was never another update on my friends dog.

stormox

Visit site
The same thing happened to a neighbour of a friend of mine- he had to go into a hospice, and took his much lover pet yorkie x there. Within a week it appeared on their FB page, all back combed and dirtied up, headline ex puppy farm dog found in Wicklow ( he lived in Co Kerry)

puppyalert

Visit site
Be aware it is not advisable to import equines from AHAR it is reported that a person in Fife Scotland did recently and found that two of them (she imported/adopted more) were suffering from strangles and has had to close her yard. AHAR is a disgrace. I posing this link on a FAcebook page I hope it is permissable to do so.

Animal Heaven Animal Rescue AHAR Exposed added 4 new photos.

29 mins ·

DID AHAR EXPORT STRANGLES?

On Tuesday 19 December the representative of AHAR in Scotland reported that she was closing down her yard until further notice because two ponies which arrived from AHAR on the 26th of November had tested positive for the highly contagious equine disease, strangles, after leaving her yard on or around the 3rd of December. Strangles, caused by the bacterium Streptococcus equi, is characterised by severe inflammation of the mucous membranes of the head and throat, snotty nose, raised temperature, swollen glands, and abscesses which can rupture and produce large quantities of thick pus. Some horses may only contract a mild case with few symptoms and recover quickly, while more severe cases may result in death.

Although strangles is not a notifiable disease, the Scottish representative did the ethical thing by closing down her yard and notifying everyone through a public posting on Facebook, even though she says that neither the other three horses she received from AHAR nor her own had shown any sign of the disease so far. The two ponies from AHAR, a black-and-white cob (Gabriel) and a foal (Spirit), are now under veterinary care with their new owners in Fife.

A post on the page of the new owners on the 10th of December mentions that Spirit was showing signs of a “cold”. The incubation time for strangles is 3 to 14 days, so given the time frame involved, there is every possibility that they picked up strangles at AHAR.

Have AHAR alerted the many homes and resellers their equines have gone to in the past few weeks to watch out for strangles? Have they closed their yard and had their equines checked? If strangles has been found in the yard are they taking all the proper precautions and warning anyone who comes into the yard that there are equines with strangles there?

Given that strangles is highly contagious and can result in serious illness or even death, and that some equines can become carriers who shed the bacteria for the rest of their lives (though this is rare; the average shedding time is roughly 6 weeks), AHAR should close their yard down now and take appropriate action to identify, isolate and treat equines at risk until given the all clear by a vet, and notify everyone who has had contact with AHAR equines.

For basic info about strangles see http://www.animedvets.co.uk/horse_strangles.htm

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: text

Image may contain: horse, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: horse and outdoor

puppyalert

Visit site
This was prior to the report of two cases of strangles:-

Animal Heaven Animal Rescue

8 December at 17:49 ·

Sorry the page has been so quiet today but......
It is out of this world news for the equines of AHAR.
Today we have been so busy getting.....
Are you ready?
This is sooooo exciting!

TWENTY THREE

Equines ready for transport to the wonderful amazing people of Scotland who have come to our side to offer our forgotten equines of Ireland a home.
Like WOW!
As of now they have all been vet checked today. Thank you Steve.
Brushed and cleaned up, ready to travel. ( thank you volunteers )
Now we are waiting on what time the transporter is coming in the next 24 hrs to let all their new families know, they are on their way.
Thank you with all my heart to the people of Scotland especially Lynne and Catherine who are the AHAR reps there. The girls helped pull this all together with homes checks and finding the new homes.
The biggest thanks is to you. Our supporters who donated to save them.
Pay all their veterinary costs. Pay the farrier. Pay to support them with food and care while they waited.
You made them visible.
AHAR army. Take a bow.
What a success story.
I am so excited I could burst.
Love Suzanne xx

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
This place, ugh. A friend of mine who fell on really tough times had to give up her husky for his own sake, he was always VERY well cared for and went to AHAR happy and healthy. It broke her heart. But what was worse was when a few weeks later a picture of the dog popped up all skin and bones and patches of missing fur with a huge sob story of how he had been kept on a chain in a tiny concrete yard and starved, only being fed once a week. When she tried to defend herself she and a load of us got blocked.

The owner is a hoarder, she whips up sob stories to gain more donations then the animals go to their foster homes, where they apparently stay forever most of the time as there was never another update on my friends dog.

Do you know if your friend posted on https://www.facebook.com/Animal-Heaven-Animal-Rescue-AHAR-Exposed-795034397244586/ ? It was set up for people who were blocked from posting on the AHAR facebook page. The more of these stories that get posted there, the better chance someone will read it and not donate money or hand in an animal to them.