Most ISH are usually part TB

dominobrown

Visit site
I wonder how many horses competing at badminton this year DON'T have tb blood in them???
Also to point out a lot of native breeds have arab or iberian in the somewhere along the lines.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
In Ireland the ISH can be anything from parents in the ISH studbook, which includes, amongst others, Dutch,German and French warmbloods, as well as ID,Con and TB.

The imported Polish Arabian stallion Zygmunt is an approved ISH. Even if they had an ISH by him, there would probably still be TB blood on the dams side as explained by JG. I think the potential buyers were just ignorant about ISHs and it makes you wonder what else they are ignorant about. It possibly was best all round that they were put off.

hairycob

Visit site
That's the way we have decided to look at it of they are that ignorant god knows what would have happened if the poor horse had a problem. They keep theirs at home so not even the advice of a yo.

Enfys

Visit site
Enfys I have spent so many years trying to tell people that ID x TB is a warmblood, to no avail, that I have long since given up!! Of course a warm blood is a TB (hot) crossed with any draft type of horse (cold) hence HOT plus COLD = WARM. QED!!!

I like you :) :D

attheponies

Visit site
My coloured ISH has a blue passport with no mum or dad recorded bless him! He apparently came over from Ireland as a 5 year old and now 14 what a brilliant all rounder he has proved to be - hunting, eventing, hacking, pleasure rides, dressage. Kind and honest. Can't believe anyone would walk away from an ISH!

Lady2021

Visit site
Sorry to bring up a old thread but I think people who confused if they are reading on the internet. Most Irish sport horse are warm blood mixed with a draft. They can be any cross breed .

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Sorry to bring up a old thread but I think people who confused if they are reading on the internet. Most Irish sport horse are warm blood mixed with a draft. They can be any cross breed .
No, the traditional mix was a hot blood (TB) to the draught.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
No, the traditional mix was a hot blood (TB) to the draught.
Yep. My boy is a registered “Traditional ISH” he’s 3/4 ID and 1/4 TB, but think as long as they’re the only breeds in a cross the ratio doesn’t matter. It’s just that warmbloods have been crossed in for the modern ISH to make them a bit flashier.

Regandal

Visit site
My little ISH is 7/8 tb, green book. I got him in the summer, when he looks like a slightly stocky tb. I was really doubting that there was any ID in him.
Come the winter, he grows an incredible coat, beard and curly feathers. Looks like a totally different horse.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I was told by someone that they had an arab sport horse the other day, straight 50/50 cross, she assured me it was NOT an anglo arab as she hated those :D who am I to argue !

As this old thread has been bumped, I read it again. The above quote is so funny! I wonder if they are still in crazy denial about the breed of their horse? Nowt as queer as folk. ;)

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
I find it confusing. If a tb x ID is an ISH and a tb x ID is also a warmblood.

Then it's no wonder people get mixed up.

The Irish Sport Horse (ISH) is the name of the Irish warmblood. I'm not sure why this would confuse anyone?

A TB X ID is a warmblood because that's what it is, like a Dartmoor is a native pony.

It might also be an ISH (and a ISH TIH) if it is registered as one, which (assuming its not a stallion) would mean it was born in Ireland to registered ISH parents so whilst it might be 50% TB and 50% ID it wouldn't be a first-generation cross.

Old school

Visit site
Fairly sure the old-fashioned definition of ISH was that it had to be some combination of RID, TB, and/or Connie. That now technically has a different acronym these days (which I can't remember off the top of my head), because ISH can also refer to something that's RIDxWarmblood etc. but nearly all of them have a fair old bit of TB in them.
It is Traditional Irish Horse, TIH....it is used to reflect no 'continental warm bloods' in breeding. Only the three you mention TB, ID and Connemara.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Anglo Arab
Yorkipoo

Same thing.

It's really not for several reasons.

The English Thoroughbred was created using some Arab blood in the first place, with the Darley Arabian being very significant in contributing to this.

Links to some info about the three founding sires.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darley_Arabian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godolphin_Arabian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byerley_Turk

Adding Arab blood back into a modern TB does make them slower, but it should add soundness, so that is the point of doing it. You are essentially adding more arab blood to an arab derivitive.

You can't charge stupid money for an anglo arab foal. Arabs aren't fashionable and neither are the partbreds (arabs often feature on people's worst breed threads on here and the fans always put them on the favourite breed threads). In fact you get a lot of horse for your money because of this. Yes, some in-hand show horses are very expensive, especially when oil money is involved, but overall they are a cheaper breed. Compare to the current situation with Connemaras for example. Nobody is going to have a foal farm churning out anglos to make a quick buck.

The name. Anglo arab isn't a cute combination of two separate breeds creating a 'designer mongrel' with a daft name. Anglo just means English and refers to 'English Thoroughbred', it's more saying what it is on the tin (was that Ronseal?) than trying to be appealing to people with more money than sense. The dog version would be Arabred or Thrabian or some such silly contraction.

Evie91

Visit site
I remember one lunch break many years ago browsing H&H ads with a friend. She spotted a photo ad for 16.2hh ISH and thought it was funny, because she thought the ish, well ish, so how could they be precise on height and then add ish....! I had to explain what is stood for- stuck with me as we had quite a laugh about it as the time!
I used to ride/share the MOST beautiful ISH 7/8’s TB loved that horse- ones of my biggest regrets not being able to afford to buy her when she was sold. I was a student at the time, had to move back in with parents to afford to study plus working to fund- just didn’t have the cash. Used to hack on our own for hours, beautiful horse, just the right side of hot to make her fun.

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
It's really not for several reasons.

The English Thoroughbred was created using some Arab blood in the first place, with the Darley Arabian being very significant in contributing to this.

Links to some info about the three founding sires.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darley_Arabian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godolphin_Arabian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byerley_Turk

Adding Arab blood back into a modern TB does make them slower, but it should add soundness, so that is the point of doing it. You are essentially adding more arab blood to an arab derivitive.

You can't charge stupid money for an anglo arab foal. Arabs aren't fashionable and neither are the partbreds (arabs often feature on people's worst breed threads on here and the fans always put them on the favourite breed threads). In fact you get a lot of horse for your money because of this. Yes, some in-hand show horses are very expensive, especially when oil money is involved, but overall they are a cheaper breed. Compare to the current situation with Connemaras for example. Nobody is going to have a foal farm churning out anglos to make a quick buck.

The name. Anglo arab isn't a cute combination of two separate breeds creating a 'designer mongrel' with a daft name. Anglo just means English and refers to 'English Thoroughbred', it's more saying what it is on the tin (was that Ronseal?) than trying to be appealing to people with more money than sense. The dog version would be Arabred or Thrabian or some such silly contraction.

Thank you for explaining. It is nice to learn a little and have things explained. It beats some of the other blunt comments.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thank you for explaining. It is nice to learn a little and have things explained. It beats some of the other blunt comments.

I'm glad you read it in good humour as I forgot to add a few smileys to show that I was writing in a friendly way. :) Sorry about that.

There was a film (a bit fictionalised of course) about the Godolphin arabian called 'King of the Wind' (based on a book of the same name IIRC). I remember seeing it on TV years ago. It was probably terrible but I was young and enjoyed it at the time. ;)

Found it - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097668/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

TwoForTwo

Visit site
It’s truly fascinates me that people don’t realise the ISH have Tb in them to some degree. The person in the stable next to me who really needed a Been there done that type of about 16hh came back with a 5yo 17.1hh ISH who was very nice and could easily be exceptional but not with her, was horrified when I said how you could really see the TB in him but I bet as he got older he’d fill out! She had no idea that they are usually ID x Tb and the instructor who she was paying a fortune to led her up the garden path and has made not only a fortune off of her but a complete fool of the woman to. The horse is no better schooled or made much improvement in the last 2 years ?