Most & Least Favourite Eventer

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
As the title, what are you most and least favourite eventers and why?

I have officially reached the level of missing sport where I am watching all 6hrs of 2017 cross country coverage (and I can't remember what happened, so it's actually as though it's new, I'm rather enjoying it) and I was just pondering my least and most favourite eventers.

My most favourite has to be Mark Todd. He is always so classy, can spot a stride a mile off and has the most fantastic seat, the scrapeds he gets himself out of are incredible! He always seems to sit so quiet and waits until the horse needs his support - very enjoyable to watch and he seems a very pleasant man in interviews.

Someone I have never enjoyed watching is Louise Harwood. She's tiny in stature and always seems to run the biggest of horses, and it looks like a fight from start to finish. Event riding doesn't have to be tidy, but she is always pony club kicking, she is thrown forward on landing at every jump and can be often seen leaning her whole body back in an effort to stop the horse, doesn't look very enjoyable for either horse or rider.*

*I'm no 5* rider, just my opinion :)

ihatework

Visit site
There is a lot of riders I admire for different aspects, but yes Nicholson & Jung are right up there, as are some of our Brits.

There are also a number of people I don’t enjoy watching ride, but the one seared in my brain is Buck Davidson

JFTDWS

Visit site
Andrew Nicholson is always my favourite, but as anyone who's been around a while might know, my motives aren't entirely pure. He's ultimate levels of cool though.

I don't enjoy watching Louise Harwood or Buck Davidson much either.

Fools Motto

Visit site
Another vote for Michael Jung - he really is class to watch.
Who was that lady, I think she was a firefighter that had that 'incident' at the last fence somewhere? (I think she has sadly passed now?). We all can ride with big whoopsies, can all look like a sack of spuds/weird aliens but if we are in the limelight, a sense of horsemanship is required imho. Should add, this could have been a one off obviously, but it came to mind. Buck Davidson is again a person who I don't enjoy watching.

TPO

Visit site
Who was that lady, I think she was a firefighter that had that 'incident' at the last fence somewhere? (I think she has sadly passed now?). We all can ride with big whoopsies, can all look like a sack of spuds/weird aliens but if we are in the limelight, a sense of horsemanship is required imho.

Amy Tryon

ihatework

Visit site
Who was that lady, I think she was a firefighter that had that 'incident' at the last fence somewhere? (I think she has sadly passed now?). We all can ride with big whoopsies, can all look like a sack of spuds/weird aliens but if we are in the limelight, a sense of horsemanship is required imho.

Amy Tryon, Le Samurai. The biggest error of judgement I’ve ever seen. But I’ve not followed her riding prior to that so would be cautious to pass further comment especially as she is now dead. Feels wrong.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
Louise Harwood has fixed ankles and knees due to a motorbike accident when she was young. She never looks particularly pretty on a horse but is an excellent and kind rider.
There are many riders I love watching, however one I don't like watching is Elizabeth Power, she always seemed to be heavy in the hand and not very balanced to me.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Love watching Andrew Nicholson ride. We saw him ride a very green Swallow Springs round Chatsworth at his first advanced and it was just outstanding. I think we have some really good British riders coming through just now, Tom Mcewan certainly comes to mind. Imogen is really lovely, and quite bonkers!
Agree about Louise Harwood, and I think it was an American rider whose horse fell at the last fence at Badminton a couple of years ago when exhausted.
And it feels a bit bad to say it, but Emily King at the top level. She seems to get away with some silly decisions but seems to be not quite right at advanced.

SOS

Visit site
I adore watching Tim Price and Jonelle Price go XC. He makes it look a piece of cake!
Always loved William FP as an eventer, was a huge fan as a child.

I tend to dislike whoever is pushing their horses too far that year... OT a few years ago. Not a huge fan of Emily King either for making repeated mistakes and the infamous crowd funding on that horse which was ‘definitely going to be a 4* horse and the donors would be able to personally meet him’.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Yes, Andrew Nicholson - he has a seat like no other! Michael Jung was always a good watch too but he seemed to disappear from the 5*’s for a short while?

I wasn’t watching eventing back in 2007 when Amy made that error so unsure completely what happened. I remember the mistake from I think the American rider but I’m rubbish at names! Oli Townsend was also very unpopular for a while for the same sort of thing - although he seemed to take his public bashing and learn from it so whilst he isn’t my favourite, it’s a fair way to have come out the other side.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I will go back a few years for my favourites. Ginny Leng and Lucinda and Ian Stark. Today would be Michael Jung.

The one I couldn't bear to watch will surprise you. Lucinda Fredericks, hauling and mauling at the horses mouths. Horses that were immensely brave, talented and so stoic.
I'm not a fan of Lucinda Fredericks either.

crazyandme

Visit site
The American rider who fell at the last fence of Badminton a few years back was Elisa Wallace. Michael Jung hasn't had many horses at 5* level since Sam retired I don't think, I have seen him around in the last couple of years with various horses though

My favourites are similar to most, with Michael Jung, WFP, Nicholson, Todd....
Harwood I don't understand why she keeps on with her enormous horses. And Emily King just doesn't seem to learn from her mistakes!

teapot

Visit site
Someone I have never enjoyed watching is Louise Harwood. She's tiny in stature and always seems to run the biggest of horses, and it looks like a fight from start to finish. Event riding doesn't have to be tidy, but she is always pony club kicking, she is thrown forward on landing at every jump and can be often seen leaning her whole body back in an effort to stop the horse, doesn't look very enjoyable for either horse or rider.*

*I'm no 5* rider, just my opinion :)

She had a horrific car accident years ago, hence the lack of perhaps 'finese' with her riding.

Could watch Tina Cook all day - that first rider on course of her's at Burghley the other year was pure utter perfection.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I will go back a few years for my favourites. Ginny Leng and Lucinda and Ian Stark. Today would be Michael Jung.

The one I couldn't bear to watch will surprise you. Lucinda Fredericks, hauling and mauling at the horses mouths. Horses that were immensely brave, talented and so stoic.

Completely agree with you AA on all names but I'd also add Richard Meade too, to the plus list :)

McFluff

Visit site
I will go back a few years for my favourites. Ginny Leng and Lucinda and Ian Stark. .

All of these were a delight to watch cross country. I’d add Pippa Funnel and Mark Todd to my list.

For me I don’t like watching a combination who seem out of their depth. I get that there will be ugly jumps sometimes, but some seem to have that at every jump. To be fair, they are far braver and way more talented than me, but I don’t like watching it.

L&M

Visit site
Mark Todd for the favourite hands down.....

Not so keen on Ollie Townsend - undoubtedly talented but feel he sometimes pushes his horses too much, just for a win. I never forget seeing him at Weston Park being, shall we say 'less than sympathetic' to a young/green horse that threw in a refusal, when he thought no one was looking...…..

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
She had a horrific car accident years ago, hence the lack of perhaps 'finese' with her riding.

Right understood, someone upthread I now see has also commented the same, that part of my comment was perhaps unfair in that case but the rest of it still stands, not keen.

Not so keen on Ollie Townsend - undoubtedly talented but feel he sometimes pushes his horses too much, just for a win. I never forget seeing him at Weston Park being, shall we say less than sympathetic, to a young/green horse that threw in a refusal, when he thought no one was looking...…..

I didn’t know that either! Seems I’m out of touch with some things. He isn’t an eventer of course but I will never forgive Ben Maher for his abuse of a horse in the warmup of a show I can’t remember the name of - some things just stick in your mind.

oldie48

Visit site
Louise Harwood has fixed ankles and knees due to a motorbike accident when she was young. She never looks particularly pretty on a horse but is an excellent and kind rider.
There are many riders I love watching, however one I don't like watching is Elizabeth Power, she always seemed to be heavy in the hand and not very balanced to me.
Louise is a very brave and talented rider, riding mainly home bred horses that most pros wouldn't look at once let alone twice. She is the sort of rider amateurs should respect not criticise because she does it despite the odds that have been stacked against her. She is also extremely popular because she's a really nice down to earth person. I'm another who loves to watch Michael Jung, his horses are beautifully schooled and he rides with such rhythm (although I don't want him to win).

Nicnac

Visit site
Christopher Burton for me. Poetry in motion. I know Louise Harwood doesn't look pretty at times but considering the awful car accident she had where there was doubt she'd walk again she's done pretty well. She's so tiny but loves her (huge) home breds and is also a very lovely person.

Oli T is a very effective rider. Nicholson definitely and WFP too.

Welsh Dragon

Visit site
Mark Todd for the favourite hands down.....

Not so keen on Ollie Townsend - undoubtedly talented but feel he sometimes pushes his horses too much, just for a win. I never forget seeing him at Weston Park being, shall we say 'less than sympathetic' to a young/green horse that threw in a refusal, when he thought no one was looking...…..

I watched Ollie Townend on a young horse at a local BE and was horrified by the way he rode, especially when the poor horse put a stop in at a water complex.?
I would add Mary King my faves, I remember watching her as a kid on King William and being in awe.

DiNozzo

Visit site
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Ben Hobday on his happy gallolopy horses that always just look they're out hacking. He seems a really nice bloke too.

Piggy French is another I really admire. She's never quite the tidiest or most stylish, but she rides with such a huge amount of heart.

Pippa Funnel is another favourite, but more because she seems a really decent person than her riding currently which is often messy.

I quite like Oli (now). I think he's put in a huge amount of work wrt to his temper and how he comes across in the press and is much better for it.

Who was the British rider who fell at the white gates and was calling for her horse before she got up? I like her, but I can't remember her name!!

Nicholson, Chris Burton, Team Price are all favourites too!

Does anyone have a link or any interest in finding a link of Buck a few years ago? He's definitely not pretty but he must be some horseman because his horses keep jumping and galloping. I wonder if he was tidier earlier?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Louise is a very brave and talented rider, riding mainly home bred horses that most pros wouldn't look at once let alone twice. She is the sort of rider amateurs should respect not criticise because she does it despite the odds that have been stacked against her. She is also extremely popular because she's a really nice down to earth person. I'm another who loves to watch Michael Jung, his horses are beautifully schooled and he rides with such rhythm (although I don't want him to win).

I was about to say the same thing! I really admire how she has managed to take multiple home bred horses to 5* level, while also having physical problems. Getting that many horses to that level means she must be a pretty good rider!