most shock absorbing half pads - gel, memory foam, wool , other ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Interesting stuff DabDab 😉
I'm nearly 2 weeks in and definitely pleased with mine, more swing and reliable connection from salty and kira feels easier in her back and easier to access the back raised-hindlegs under work that she needs to develop to progress further.
I have had a variety of pads over the years and I do think they both like this best so far.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
So, looking at this thread and the other, I decided to treat the mare and went and ordered a Thinline pad. I got the ginormous "ultra" one, as that is what seemed to be the best for maximum coverage without bulk.

It came quite quickly to say it was from abroad, and I realised that I probably had not needed the XL one, so I trimmed it a bit so it would not be an actual rug (!) and gave her a ride.

Her verdict?

She says I can shove the fancy pad where the sun don't shine (I presume she means the tack room) as she prefers the saddle with a thin numnah.

Pah, horses!
Read more at https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/...s-or-alternatives.769409/#hdjBwwUWPSMgeuIO.99

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I hope that if she loses weight she will appreciate it then! She is very expressive about what does or does not suit her, it was just a disappointment that the super Xmas present to her was such a flop!

DZ2

Visit site
The only definition of a memory foam that I can find of is that it is a visco-elastic foam that becomes more pliable once warm. There is huge variation within the category, rate of recovery, open cell, closed cell, heat absorption...we think of Tempur and think it must always be a good product, but is it designed for the use you have in mind? I think lots of products can feel lovely to us, but not be any good to put on a saddle. XRD feels pretty firm, not that lovely feel you get from memory foam, yet it really is one of the best things you can put under your saddle.

Resurrecting an old thread but just wanted to share my experience and to thank Sbloom for excellent advice.

My kissing spine horse is coming back to work after an operation and a year off and I've been looking into all those pads (VIP etc.) to make him as comfortable as possible. After reading this I've decided to try xrd poron inserts; I bought sheets of xrd from amazon and cut to shape (saddle is fitted with sheepskin underneath which has shim pockets). Wow what a noticeable improvement in how he moves! so much looser and more forward.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Resurrecting an old thread but just wanted to share my experience and to thank Sbloom for excellent advice.

My kissing spine horse is coming back to work after an operation and a year off and I've been looking into all those pads (VIP etc.) to make him as comfortable as possible. After reading this I've decided to try xrd poron inserts; I bought sheets of xrd from amazon and cut to shape (saddle is fitted with sheepskin underneath which has shim pockets). Wow what a noticeable improvement in how he moves! so much looser and more forward.
which thickness did you go for, out of interest?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk

Brilliant, just wish I could get hold of it wholesale but at least you can find it retail :)

Silver Clouds

Visit site
Having a quick look on Ebay there are a range of XRD poron sheet sizes and thicknesses available from approx 1.6-6.5mm thick (not wholesale prices though) :)