Most stupid horsey thing you've ever said, asked, done etc.!!!

Annagain

Visit site
I was just feeling quite smug thinking I hadn't really done anything particularly stupid around horses.....then I had an awful moment remembering the time my old boy - who was a bit bolshy but didn't have a nasty bone in his body - came in with a big clump of those awful teasel things stuck right between his back legs, right where the man parts used to be. Without thinking I stood directly behind them and pulled..... I still have a lump in my thigh 20 tears on where he kicked me. Can't blame the poor b****r really!

Also, not a stupid thing as I didn't really do anything wrong but one if my worst horse related injuries was tearing my calf muscle trotting the horse up for the vet. He insists I do warm up exercises now.

Suechoccy

Visit site
Likek DabDab, my confession revolves around a young horse ... literally. It was second time I'd sat on him. I forgot to tighten girth. As I put foot into stirrup and hopped up, saddle slipped under his belly and there I was, sprawled on the floor under his feet, foot in stirrup, saddle under his belly, and him calmly standing there looking down at me. "These humans, you just never know what they're going to do next."

Suechoccy

Visit site
Tonto - OMG you've just reminded me ... I was on a group hack with a friend and 3 other riders whom I didn't know near the Roman Road in Cambridgeshire. One of them got off her 15hh to pick up her whip, then said she couldn't remount from the ground. I can remount from the ground so I dismounted and offered her a leg up. She said "I am REALLY HEAVY. You will regret this. Honestly I am VERY VERY HEAVY. I will need a really BIG leg up. I don't want you to hurt yourself or your back.." I replied "that's ok, I'm strong, I'll give you a big leg up" ... well you can guess the rest, I gave her a massive leg-up as I assumed she was REALLY HEAVY - in fact I found her really lightweight so like you did, I accidentally threw her straight over the top and she landed on the ground on the other side. All 5 of us were laughing so much we were having Tena moments and tears down our faces and through her laughter, and brushing the mud off herself, she's trying to say "Well obviously I'm not THAT heavy."

Tonto_

Visit site
Tonto - OMG you've just reminded me ... I was on a group hack with a friend and 3 other riders whom I didn't know near the Roman Road in Cambridgeshire. One of them got off her 15hh to pick up her whip, then said she couldn't remount from the ground. I can remount from the ground so I dismounted and offered her a leg up. She said "I am REALLY HEAVY. You will regret this. Honestly I am VERY VERY HEAVY. I will need a really BIG leg up. I don't want you to hurt yourself or your back.." I replied "that's ok, I'm strong, I'll give you a big leg up" ... well you can guess the rest, I gave her a massive leg-up as I assumed she was REALLY HEAVY - in fact I found her really lightweight so like you did, I accidentally threw her straight over the top and she landed on the ground on the other side. All 5 of us were laughing so much we were having Tena moments and tears down our faces and through her laughter, and brushing the mud off herself, she's trying to say "Well obviously I'm not THAT heavy."
She still holds it over my head threatening to tell our parents! The horse just looked at me like "what did you do that for?"

doodle

Visit site
Minto was on box rest with laminitis. I did him, then hitched up the trailer, drove to other yard 10mins away, got soli in and ready, loaded, drove 40mins away for a lesson, watches the next lesson, came home, sorted soli the drove back to mintos yard with trailer. Pulled in and found mintos door open with him still stood in the stable with a very worried look on his face. He was most relieved when i told him he was a good boy and shut the door that i hadnt shut before i left.

doodle

Visit site
Another mistaken identity. I do a few hours at a riding school and dont particularly know the liveries. Was asked to put a rug on s, a big bay gelding. So went to field to find 2 big bay geldings. No matter i thought s wears over reach boots. Walked up to each and no boots on either! Shouted his name and both looked up. Ummed and ahhed and picked one, thinking if rug didnt fit it was the other one. So caught him and walked back to gate which had rug on. Rug fitted. Then thought it would probably fit the other one too. Ummed a bit more. Took rug off again and let him go. Horse thinks im a nutter and wanders off. Got back to yard and asked a useful child who rolled her eyes and said s has a star and j dosnt. Yep i had caught j!

Visit site
I leg up ride judges quite a lot and they all look at me with that look of "Your never going to manage to throw me up onto big horses all day" and to prove them wrong I almost throw them right over the first horse. Then on Saturday I really did misjudge the judges weight and he had to catch himself to stop him going all the way over! Whoops!

A few years ago I had a rather heavy, tall male judge who didn't help you in the slightest with a half decent hop and the classes started with the hacks (which he really shouldn't have ridden to be honest...) and finished with the heavy horses! He said as we were nearing the end "it's ok dear I can use a step to get on the last ones as they are rather large and I don't think you will manage to get me up there". Red flag to a bull! I made damned sure he nearly went over the other side! By god i regretted it the next day - my back and shoulders were in pieces! I have also told the show organiser that it is much appreciated if we could always start with the biggest horses and work our way down to the smaller ones!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I was using one of the schools big arenas to long line during the lunch break. I came out of the arena before the 1pm lesson needed it. I took my horse out, parked to shut gate, I literally took my eyes off him for a second and looked back to see he had decided to park a back hoof on one line (fastest move he'd made in hours). I unclipped it but couldn't get him to get off it. He thought it was the most fun ever to not move that back leg as the 1pm hack tried to get passed us. He was definitely enjoying himself.

And leg straps on rugs are impossible to remember.

Orangehorse

Visit site
About 25 years ago - tied my saint of a TB too securely to a gate - he panicked and backed up lifting up & taking the gate with him 😱

Luckily there was a mound of silage behind him which held him up while I removed the gate with OH help.

Still beat myself up about it 😕

Yes, I did something similar and I think it is probably the most stupid thing I have ever done. But the ponies had always stood quietly, he was my first horse. He put his head down, got the rope around his ears, threw his head up and took the gate off its hinges and set off galloping across the field with the gate swinging from side to side. Fortunately he was wearing a leather headcollar, which broke. Still makes me feel cold with horror.