Most stupid horsey thing you've ever said, asked, done etc.!!!

Visit site
In response to recent posts: what's the most stupid horse-related question you've ever asked, thing you've said, or done? Because let's be honest we HAVE all done it at some point (!!) But it doesn't mean we're necessarily evil bad horse abusing monsters or have anything to be ashamed of.

Gonna be honest and say I'm not sure I can choose 😭 there's an awful lot....😬😬

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Oh, I have another.... I fed my Tb mare in the field, changing her rugs as she ate.
After she'd finished her feed she normally walked to the hay, but she seemed oddly paralysed, starting at me with a rather scowly face. I wondered if she were lame in all four legs, suddenly?

On further inspection, however, it turned out that I had rugged her firmly TO the electric fence.

Mule

Visit site
Another one was when one of the horses had seedy toe. I was using a syringe to squirt iodine in it, as a disinfectant. One day it squirted off the hoof and went straight in my eye. Naturally I had just bought the 'extra strong' version. It was rather unpleasant... On the bright side, I didn't go blind:D

NLPM

Visit site
Oh Shilasdair, yours made me laugh!
I've done lots of daft things.

As a child, I got very scissor-happy with my poor pony's mane... and feathers. I can't describe his hooves to you, but they were hilarious. He has really thick feathers, and I trimmed them in a straight line all around his hooves... So all of his hooves had neat little bowl cuts. To match his forelock. I'm crying laughing remembering this.

I also tried to convince my horse to go through a stream. He was having none of it. I got off to lead him through. A few steps in, he reached the limits of his tolerance and pushed me with his nose until I fell over, then retreated to dry land and started snacking on the nearest tree like I didn't exist.

I don't know what possessed me last year, but I waited until new year and then decided to give them all full clips instead of doing blanket clips early on. Terrible mistake. I'd had my blades serviced and to be honest, I think they were damaged - probably dropped in the shop or something. For some reason I went with the approach of "well, I've started now". Horse looked like a jigsaw puzzle for MONTHS, I tell you. I had to cancel lessons out of shame.

Shooting Star

Visit site
went to adjust the gaiters in the hoof boot that had disappeared somewhere down into the boot at the same time that the horse lifted its leg - result one instant black eye from a knee in the eye socket🙈

albeg

Visit site
Remounted in a TREC competition with my reins crossed. Had to be quickly stopped as I was about to ask for a halt-canter to head off around the gallops to finish the course...

Have, on more than one occasion, brought pony into the barn after riding, stood him beside his headcollar, untacked, and headed for the tackroom. Usually results in "oh shirt!" and a dash back.

While cleaning my saddle, I managed to whack myself in the head with the stirrups (twice):oops:

Gave myself a fat lip on more than one occasion, while pulling my stirrups down to mount.

Another one was when one of the horses had seedy toe. I was using a syringe to squirt iodine in it, as a disinfectant. One day it squirted off the hoof and went straight in my eye. Naturally I had just bought the 'extra strong' version. It was rather unpleasant... On the bright side, I didn't go blind:D

Similar, but got it on my hand rather than in my eye. Seems fine, but I had the bright idea of wiping my hand on pony's leg. He's grey, and had an orange splodge which wouldn't wash off for days.

Mrs G

Visit site
Brought horse in to ride, put saddle on, then bridle. Tightened girth, got on. Walked round the yard. Saw the sun shine on silver metal as I came round a corner. Turns out horse had spat the bit out when I'd put his bridle on but I hadn't noticed and it was just dangling under his chin. I still don't know if I should be impressed at how well horse behaved in his first experience of bitless riding or wether I should be ashamed I couldn't tell from the feel of the rein....

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Many many things. The most recent one I can think of is the first time I tested out getting on my unbacked pony (some time last year). For some reason I had decided to stand on a stacked couple of plastic milk crates, which she was initially terrified of and wouldn't go near. Once we'd got over that and were stood up next to them I leant over her a couple of times, stepping down onto the floor and then back onto the crates in between each. On the third step up onto the crates they parted company and I ended up sprawled on the floor at the feet of my pony, bleeding knee and crates strewn. I looked up in panic thinking she'd be freaking out, but she was perfectly calm, and just looking down at me like I was the stupidest thing she'd ever seen.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I tried a saddle with a stupidly high cantle once; it was fine when ridden in and I thought, great! this is a lovely saddle.

Then I tried to dismount (normal fashion, leg behind); the only problem being that the momentum was well in place to take me to the ground, but the crook of my right knee was hooked around the blimmin stoopid high cantle of the thing, and there I was, stuck like meat on a flaming hook! Couldn't go up and couldn't go down. Hugely embarrassing.