Most stupid thing you've seen???

fidleyspromise

Visit site
That does look fun.

Stupidest thing I've seen was me! I took rug off pony in field with no headcollar when she got a fright and took off, rug ended up slipping and she fell. Eventually it was round her neck, strangling her and she couldn't move. I got it off her and she was fine but I'm still cursing myself for not taking the extra five minutes to take her inside.

I also passed someone riding across a dual-carrigaeway, no hat, no hi-viz, dark horse and wearing dark clothes. They jumped the barrier in the middle and tootled off.

Mince Pie

Visit site
The most stupid thing I've done was hack out an ex racer, get to a grassy hill with the full intention of just walking up it - and then shorten my reins :eek: :eek: after the resulting tantrum I just let her go!

scarymare

Visit site
It already exists....i have seen footage from another country where someone rides around a set of showjumps towing a person on roller blades, who then also goes over the jumps with ramps. I have tried to find the videos on the internet before but cant find them now!!

I saw something similar on Landward last year. Special skateboardy things as I remember (no jumps though!)

Holly_09

Visit site
I fell off my friend's pony whilst mounting. Said pony was stood as solid as a rock, but my gloves didn't have any grip and I slipped straight down and landed on my back :D

dafthoss

Visit site
Ha broke but happy yours made me laugh was that with your lovely little mare?
I once managed to jump over the little 12hh pony I was trying to get on. Can't think of the worst I have seen right now one person I know shocks me every time I see them and it's worse when they open their mouth. Just feel sorry for the horse stuck with it.

savia

Visit site
I fell off my friend's pony whilst mounting. Said pony was stood as solid as a rock, but my gloves didn't have any grip and I slipped straight down and landed on my back :D
Something similar happened to me once, during a riding lesson.The lesson hadn't officially begun yet and I was sitting on the pony that I was riding that day, having just mounted.
One of the helper girls came to do up my girth (even then I could do it up myself).Cue me lying flat on my back with the saddle under the ponies tummy:) Needless to say I never lived that one down.

unbalanced

Visit site
:D awesome. It's not really any different to ski jorring etc. I'm praying for snow so I can harness my highland up to a sledge - if I could ski or blade without landing on my butt (without equine help!) I would be doing them too ;)

Last winter I harnessed my welshie up to a sledge (well, tied it to her saddle horn, not actually having any harness, and it was only a kiddie tray type sledge not a proper heavy jingle bells one anyway). It's awesome. I fully recommend it.

Mince Pie

Visit site
Ha broke but happy yours made me laugh was that with your lovely little mare?
Yes it was :) She is normally so chilled that I forget she has only come off the track this year and done naff all since due to both of us being injured! Will definitely remember in future though :D

neigh31

Visit site
I was putting hoof oil on my horse, and this girl at my yard who dosen't have a clue about horses asked me why she had plastic shoes on!:D

sally87

Visit site
does it have to be horse related? students cycling through the middle of nottingham in the dark with no lights! how they expect drivers to be able to see them! gaaaaaaah it annoys me!

Shantara

Visit site
I just remembered one...no one had the heart to tell them the truth XD

Ziggy the youngster was letting himself 'hang out' and one of the youngest kids said "Excuse me...what's that plastic thing on your horses stomach?"

Fools Motto

Visit site
First thing that has sprung to mind, was at the end of a hunter trial day (years ago) there was one person left in the lorry park. She was trying to load her horse in to the trailer. Picture this, 1 bay horse standing at the bottom of the ramp, happily gazing about at his surroundings, and 2 humans, one at the end of the lead rope in the trailer saying something along the lines of 'c'mon Harry, I am in the trailer, it won't hurt you, and the other human standing to the side of the ramp litterally waving a carrot, saying something like 'if you go in, you can have the carrot'
They got to the stage of lining up carrots on the ramp, so the horse just shuffled around the side and ate them!
They did have help in the end, funnily enough a man just grabbed the lead rope, walked the horse round and marched straight in. 'Twas a funny sight though, not sure who was taking more of the P, horse or humans and their 'horsemanship!?'

OH, and another. Mini Hunter Trials, jumps at 2ft. Child on pony = gallopy gallopy RUN OUT..... repeat twice more. (Technically E'd, but at mini's we allow them to continue). ALong comes Father who shouts 'go down there, turn around and GALLOP at the jump'. Said child duely does, but shoots past said jump and isn't seen again, with Father in hot pursuit shouting 'PULL'!!

horsimous

Visit site
an adult who bought a rugby pelham from ebay (probably mistakenly thought it was a normal one). She thought she had to use it with a slip head but as she has a comfort bridle decides she can't possibly (you don't actually have to use one although it's more correct). Instead of using two reins she threads her rounding onto the bottom ring and also through the snaffle ring but attaches it to the curb. You may as well buy a double bridle and then decide not to include the snaffle. Once quizzed on why she's using it by the horse's owner she sells it to another livery and then tells them how to misuse it as well so that they think it's the correct way. Oh and the roundings were also inside out - but I'm just being picky now lol...

J&C

Visit site
I overheard a woman pointing out 2 shetland ponies and telling her children they were baby donkeys. She said it in such a matter of fact way and went on to show her kids the two donkeys in the next field and said that 'mummy' is pregnant and will have another baby soon. To make it worse 'mummy' was quite clearly showing off his manliness at the time ;)

phoebeast

Visit site
I'm not into bitching threads but I have to say that most of the worst things have been at PC. A DC putting boiling water in sugarbeet and telling me to feed my ex racer barley...kids getting flung at all angles because of AWFULLY fitting saddles...and I'm talking every 3rd or so kid at an inter SJ comp, at least 10 of them with towels under their saddles... And then their trainers complaining that the kids don't like fence 3 and it being taken out before anyone's even jumped it.
Other things include letting a horse run out of his stable onto a concrete yard (did not end prettily) and putting a 12 welsh B in a (less than an acre) bare paddock with an Ardennais. That did not end well either. Unforunately I could not have stopped either of these events.

Chavhorse

Visit site
2 things are = first for me. one is people standing on horses backs or saddles in adverts and the other is a local guy who breaks horses to ride, he always puts blinkers on them and also drives his car whilst leading them ,lead rope through the window ,apparently to get them used to roadwork!

I got used to seeing this when I lived in Cyprus, often used to be hacking out on my horse and come across local guy who owned a Stallion, never rode it just used to take it out on a lead rope whilst he drove his truck, very disconcerting to see them coming towards you especially at a full gallop! Luckily my horse was a saint and just used to stand to the side as they rocketed past.

Chavhorse

Visit site
Hmmm, I sympathise! Somebody suggested that I moved my shettie using my corsa. I've also lost count of people suggesting using the transit...

Another Cyprus story (I have lots:))))

Friend bought 3 mini ponies and the owner said he would deliver them (you can see where this is going right?) ponies turned up standing on the back seat of a Honda Civic! he had also bought along a bag of feed for her which he promptly split open and left in the middle of the bare sand paddock, the mini's were on it like a Tramp on Chips and we had a wonderful time trying to wrestle the little sods away from it.

Blitzen

Visit site
Novice rider + spurs + 3 ring gag on bottom ring + young inexperienced horse + xc course + angry PC Mother = ridiculous display!
Poor horse was bitted up to the eyeballs, getting yucked in the mouth, smacked with a whip and jabbed with spurs all at the same time, and after about 5 minutes 'warm up' decided it wasn't having any more of it, stopped dead and refused to move. PC Mother starts shouting "whip it, for *******s sake! No, harder than that!". Girl whips horse, stabs with spurs, horse rears and plunges and chucks the little madam on the floor. This was bad enough, but later I saw said brat bragging to her friends that she had kicked so hard she had torn a hole in her horses side and made it bleed.
*shakes head*

mcrobbiena

Visit site
The most stupid thing I did was when I was 10 and my brother got a new 5yo 16.1hh horse who was quite sharp. We went to get her from the field and he gave me a leg up on her (no hat,shorts and t-shirt) luckily she was wearing a rug because I could hold on to that. The tinks that had horses next door and drove past our field in their flatbed lorry far to fast, this led to the horse freaking and bronking round the field with my brother holding on the the end of the lead rope and after quite sometime (amazing I didnt fall off) my brother couldn't hold on to her any more and she galloped towards the fence and stopped and dropped her shoulder, I was flung into the wire LUCKILY landing with a wire under my knees and a wire under my elbows and my bum not quite touching the ground as though I was sat in arm chair. Very stupid and could have ended so much worse but I can't help but laugh now.

My brother never learned, I was riding my pony up from the field again no hat or anything just on a head collar and my brother hid behing the wall and jumped out pony dumped me! not surprisingly but I did hold on and get dragged a bit along the stony road. I used to get my own back. We were so lucky we are not brain damaged or dead we used to do some stupid stuff.

Also on a 6hr hack in the summer holidays we went up to the forest to go exploring, we decided to go through this tunnel of branches. My brother got hooked up and the horse carried on and as he was holding on to her she kept pulling, he was saying "stop pulling, please stop pulling" so she did and he fell flat on his face. VERY funny and very stupid. but so much fun!!

We did some stupid things ourselves and used to take our horses out the fields which meant we had to go along the road and as soon as we were out of mums sight we would hop on no hat, hi vis or anything on a headcollar. So we were the stupid people you keep mentioning...I wouldn't do it now though but our fields are by the stables so we don't need to!

midi

Visit site
Novice rider + spurs + 3 ring gag on bottom ring + young inexperienced horse + xc course + angry PC Mother = ridiculous display!
Poor horse was bitted up to the eyeballs, getting yucked in the mouth, smacked with a whip and jabbed with spurs all at the same time, and after about 5 minutes 'warm up' decided it wasn't having any more of it, stopped dead and refused to move. PC Mother starts shouting "whip it, for *******s sake! No, harder than that!". Girl whips horse, stabs with spurs, horse rears and plunges and chucks the little madam on the floor. This was bad enough, but later I saw said brat bragging to her friends that she had kicked so hard she had torn a hole in her horses side and made it bleed.
*shakes head*

ugh thats disgusting behaviour, poor pony :(

Blitzen

Visit site
I know, it made me feel sick. I really struggled to keep my mouth shut. Especially when her friends started suggesting using draw reins, poor animal will be ruined for life.