Mounting issues

starfish8

Visit site
Apologies for the long post – hoping more detail is helpful for you lovely answerers rather than plain boring!

I’ve had my 8 year old mare just over a year and through most of that time have had issues with mounting. We had a brief spell last summer where she would stand like a statue but for the most part fidgets – usually taking steps backwards. She will stand next to a mounting block without issue. Will stand lovely and still for me to get on as soon as someone else is stood next to her. The fidgeting usually starts when you pick up the reins, whether relatively short & near the pommel or half way up her neck & loose.

I have also noticed that she has started to turn her nose all the way round to my leg when I’m up on the mounting block (definitely not me pulling her round), occasionally nibbling at my chaps – she’s a sweet natured horse so I’m wondering if she’s trying to tell me something. Or if I’m anthropomorphising. She’ll also do this ‘turn to look’ sometimes when I’m doing up the girth when the saddle goes on initially.

I must admit I’m not the speediest of mounters, which probably isn’t helping matters. Perhaps it’s a vicious circle though, the less fidgety the horse the quicker I am.

The time when she wasn’t fidgeting coincided with a physio appointment (which revealed a muscle spasm in the shoulder, which was worked out) and a change in saddle – the previous one was not a good fit, despite having been checked my a couple of saddle fitters who said it was fine. She’s turned out daily, field has a round bale & she has a hay rack at night. She’s also on coolstance, speedibeet, high fibre cubes & safe and sound – half scoop of each across two feeds. Plus half a scoop of Horsefirst Relaxme per feed (being phased out as not convinced it’s actually needed).

Since it started up again in earnest, she’s seen the dentist, physio and had her saddle checked. Saddle required a minor flocking adjustment but that hasn’t resolved the issue. If anything it’s getting worse although it’s not consistent – some days are not so bad & she’ll stand after being put back in the same spot once or twice. Other days I have the embarrassment of calling someone over to help me get on.

Two questions – do you think there is a ‘real’ cause (pain etc) or is she just being awkward. The fact she did have a phase of standing perfectly makes me think the former, the fact I’ve checked all the usual stuff makes me think the latter. If she’s just being awkward, what would you suggest to correct the behaviour?

Tea and biscuits for anyone who made it to the end!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would have a really good look at her bit. My mare started fidgeting at the mounting block when the dentist was due and I realised that her bit had got scratched. A new bit and she was fine again. If it's not the bit I would suspect ulcers

starfish8

Visit site
That's a great idea! Thank you! Last time we jumped she was much better, I assumed saddle but it could be that she has a separate bridle with its own bit, which is virtually unused. Definitely going to try that.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
My first thought would be saddle. You say it's got worst since the adjustment!? You saddler might have said it fit but your horse could be telling you different. The other thing could be that the saddle has bruised her back and it is still hurting.

starfish8

Visit site
Saddle was checked mid November, we had a brief spell of improvement & now have gone downhill again. But, the dentist and physio also came out within a week of the saddler so it's hard to tell which if any made the difference.

You could well be right though, that the saddler wasn't right in their assessment, as there was such a definitive improvement last time a badly fitting saddle was changed for a well fitting one.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
Mid November is a long while ago. It could be the horse has changed shape. Riding tends to drop off over the winter, no matter how hard you try. It could be she has dropped off done muscle since then.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I believe she is telling you something. The advice to check the bit is good and could you have another physio appointment? If she improves after this you need to review if you can be doing some therapeutic ground and ridden exercises maybe to release tensions. It will be interesting to hear a follow up to your post.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I would get another saddler because I've been let down so much by supposed professional saddlers I don't trust anyone. However I would also put it on her without a saddle cloth and girth it up and look at it yourself. Can you see anything amiss. Then do the same at the mounting block. I use a big block and don't use the stirrup at all except with my new horse who I'd need a crane to achieve that with.

Every time a horse moves you must quickly put it back to exactly where it was and practice going up and down the step/ lifting the reins etc without getting on until they stand, then make them stand once you are on . You should be able to train the horse to stand if it is behavioural, really quickly with this method and consistency. So, if that doesn't work that would further convince me it's the saddle.

fuzzymooch

Visit site
Just my opinion but I'd echo the trying to tell you something train of thought. Big guy always starts with his funny 'dance' while being saddled as soon as it is even a fraction out.

Perhaps try staggering appointments with dentist saddler physio next time to see which one makes an improvement?

As you said your other bit and bridle are new maybe try that for a few days too see if you can eliminate things to work out what she's trying to say.

If it's of any consolation big guy tells me when things aren't right and now I know what his little tell signs are I find it very helpful. He warns me so far in advance that stuff never falls off the cliff so to speak :). I see saddler roughly every 4 to 5 months now which is helping lits (he changes shape soo much).

Good luck she sounds like a sweet little mare I hope you get sorted soon

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Every time a horse moves you must quickly put it back to exactly where it was and practice going up and down the step/ lifting the reins etc without getting on until they stand, then make them stand once you are on . You should be able to train the horse to stand if it is behavioural, really quickly with this method and consistency. So, if that doesn't work that would further convince me it's the saddle.

^^ this. It's worth running the various checks again, but there's no harm in reinforcing that she needs to stay put at the same time. Just try to get in the habit of quietly and quickly correcting her when she wriggles.

starfish8

Visit site
Thanks for your replies and advice - I will try swapping bits over first of all & see whether that makes a difference. If not then saddle, followed by physio a few weeks later to try and determine which results in improvement. In the meantime will persevere with quickly correcting the fidgeting and a session of just getting on and off in case that helps the penny drop.

Chestnoot

Visit site
My old boy used to do this! Fine mounting from the ground , stood solid but you'd go up a mounting block/ wall/ fence and hed just turn and face me all the time. Weird. I dont know why he did it, but definitely get everything checked if youve had new tack, other wise it might just be you need to do a little groundwork with teaching them to stand still at a block?

starfish8

Visit site
Little update for those who asked - changed the bit over to the unused one & this seems to have stopped the reversing as soon as you pick up the rein so thank you to those who suggested this!. I suspect saddle fit also needs attention tho as today moving to pick up the stirrup triggered the moving & instances of tensing through the neck.

Also practised mounting at the end of our schooling session, just getting on & off a few times. Interesting development is that today she entertained the taller mounting block whereas previously this was the worse of the two! As this puts my feet at stirrup height already, I think it follows that this would be less uncomfortable for her if there is a saddle issue?

Will continue with the repetition & corrections while I'm waiting for the saddler but I do feel like she's trying to tell me something isn't quite right!

Sparemare

Visit site
Have you tried riding her bareback? Mine lets me know when his saddle isn't comfortable but will be totally chilled bareback.