Moving to the UK (Lakenheath) from the US (with my horse?)

Trouper

Visit site
That is so good to read. Hope Sig has such an uneventful journey.

England is certainly looking at its best just now - so enjoy it and remember to post some pictures of your first "English" hack!!

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
I'll keep it short. I couldn't leave my girl behind if I had to move. Depending on the cost, if you're in Kentucky (?) after the stress of travel, think how your sweetheart will love being in the UK, with our cool weather, lots of lovey grass and lots of nice horsey people to meet.

Julie Ole Girl

Visit site
I'll keep it short. I couldn't leave my girl behind if I had to move. Depending on the cost, if you're in Kentucky (?) after the stress of travel, think how your sweetheart will love being in the UK, with our cool weather, lots of lovey grass and lots of nice horsey people to meet.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Julie, read the previous posts, the horse is coming.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Welcome to our mad part of the world! Hope quarantine goes easily and you settle in soon x

Edit. Just read your blog, well written ? looking forward to reading about need for dictionary to explain more English terms into stateside ones ?
Oh I'm ready to make a proper fool of myself and share all of it on the internet. ?? I think with each entry I'll have to do an English--American dictionary section!

? This, we are actually excited as may was mainly rain with a bit more rain added in.

Welcome to the UK, we are a sarcastic bunch but generally mean well, complain about the weather a lot and are not afraid to laugh at ourselves.

Of and we also have a dark sense of humour.

Hope you enjoy your time here.
You all would fit in well in New England then! ;) I grew up there and that perfectly sums up NE natives too. Maybe just with more laughing at each other as well. :p

Welcome to the UK!

Please post your blog updates, a great read!
Will do, thank you for reading! :)

Welcome! I hope you brought a suitcase or two of nice weather for us?
I hope so!! The weather has been gorgeous since I arrived and I'm stuck inside my hotel room. Hopefully it sticks around after I get out! Either way I know Sig will love it, especially the cooler weather in the summer. :D

Annagain

Visit site
Welcome to the UK. Hope you and Sig settle well.

I lived with quite a few Americans in France and they despaired at some of the words I used - they just didn't understand me at all. "Dodgy" was their favourite. I didn't realise how much I used it in and in how many different contexts until they asked me what I meant. As soon as I explained what a "dodgy bloke" was I had a "dodgy tummy" and confused them and then my British friend suspected someone had tried to break into his car and we agreed the whole situation seemed very "dodgy" so we confused them all over again.

It's not just words, either. Sometimes it's whole concepts! One of the Americans then came to visit me in Wales and we were driving through the nearest town, when I explained to her it was a bit of a dodgy area. She understood that by now and asked how it was dodgy. I replied that car crime was particularly bad. "Things like drive by shootings?" she replied. I burst out laughing, "No, people smashing your car windows and stealing your stereo." I suppose it's all relative!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
My English is a hodge-podge. So I can confuse anyone ? not sure of the accent at times either. That's what happens when you're a nomad.

I literally have everything crossed for the UK for next summer's move, 8 years in Germany has been enough and I'm sure they've had enough of me! Once I'm back on the island, no one is taking me off of it again.

Glad you've arrived there and Sig will soon follow. You'll have a blast I'm sure!

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
How exciting and welcome. I remember reading your first post all that time ago when you were deciding what you were going to do with Sig. So glad you decided to bring homier as it was very clear how much you loved him. Can't wait to see the photos of you and he together in the UK.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Another update:

- I completed quarantine and was unleashed on the local countryside last weekend. :p Promptly drove out to the farthest corner of Thetford Forest and tried to get as far away from buildings as I possibly could, LOL.

- I aced our version of the driver's test an am waiting on my license to be printed. Have some vehicles lined up to look at to purchase, and before anyone says it: yes, I have experience with right-side drive. ;) That year in Okinawa has come in very handy. Plus I can read your signs so...that's appreciated.

- I have a house! I just secured my top choice this afternoon, having heard back from the letting agency that the application was approved. Deposit is down, they're working on finishing the renovation, and I should be moved in by early July. The house was totally gutted this spring so everything inside is brand new. Location is perfect, very convenient between work and the yard, the dual voltage set up is extra convenient, and I'm happy to not have to spend the next 10 days running around looking at properties...:rolleyes:

- I checked out the yard that I chose for Sig, and everything looks good. The stables are all brand new, the footing in the indoor school is brand new, and overall the facility is great. I wish there were more options for group turnout (they prefer individual turnout, but adjacent to other horses), but Sig should be fine. I appreciate that they're out on grass 24/7 in summer and as much as possible the rest of the year. Everyone at the yard was super welcoming and friendly, so I feel good about that choice.

...also there's a genuinely lovely pub with good food around the corner so I feel extra great about that. ;)

- Sig's about halfway through quarantine, and reports say he's a muddy, happy mess. :p It sounds like he made a pretty seamless transition to the new quarantine farm and is enjoying vacation, just standing around eating grass all day. I hope that my friend can get out to ride him a little (she's been approved to do so), but if not we'll just ease back into work once he's arrived and settled.

- I am on my second straight week of online training courses, which are of course hosted out of Texas. So I'm up until about 23.30 every night and I am about ready to gouge my eyes out. Did I mention I've also been in training the last three days here on base? Yep...been pulling 18 hour days and I am DONE. o_O Next week though I should be back to normal, local schedule and taking over the job here, looking forward to normalcy.

- If the weather isn't totally awful I'm going hacking with a fellow horse buddy in the area! Looking forward to hanging around a yard, if nothing else. Grateful for a fellow horse person on base for reaching out and inviting me.

And lastly...my goal is to immerse myself in the culture and blend in, and not be that stereotypical, obnoxious American. Any suggestions on "How to British" are appreciated! ;) Some things we discussed in training today:

1. Americans smile too much and it's really obvious
2. Don't wear super casual clothing/trainers out to shop or to dinner
3. Apparently the two-fingered "peace sign" in the US means something totally different here :p
4. The RAF Commander, who is cool as sh!t and I want to ask a thousand questions to, was kind enough to explain pronunciation of several local towns so we don't look like complete idiots, haha
5. Tipping not required in most circumstances

I think that's it. This post is long enough.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
And we call it right hand drive not right side drive. :)

I'm smiling about your trainer and the trainers. Where did s/he get that idea from?

You might not be aware (I expect you have been told, but just in case) that there was a young man killed by a US Officer's wife pulling out of the base and driving on the wrong side of the road. She left the country so as not to face court. Just so you know not to joke about which side of the road to drive on when you're in a local pub.

Cloball

Visit site
I mean it's not unusual to see people shop in slippers and PJ's in most cities. The state I shop in ?. Trainers are worn everywhere at the mo.
And lastly...my goal is to immerse myself in the culture and blend in, and not be that stereotypical, obnoxious American. Any suggestions on "How to British" are appreciated! ;) Some things we discussed in training today:

1. Americans smile too much and it's really obvious
2. Don't wear super casual clothing/trainers out to shop or to dinner
3. Apparently the two-fingered "peace sign" in the US means something totally different here :p
4. The RAF Commander, who is cool as sh!t and I want to ask a thousand questions to, was kind enough to explain pronunciation of several local towns so we don't look like complete idiots, haha
5. Tipping not required in most circumstances

I think that's it. This post is long enough.
My Dad was based on a naval base in San Diego briefly for training apparently he stood out like a sore thumb as he bought a bike to cycle across the base rather than drive like the Americans. So my advice is buy a bike ?

He also wore flares and a beret as it was the 70s but I'm sure it was the bike.

McFluff

Visit site
Welcome. Hope you have a ball.

my tips:
talk about the weather. A lot.
apologise for, well, just about anything
source hairdresser and beautician and get appointments booked in
learn to chill, sometimes the charm is in imperfect service (at least it’s less stressful if you think of it that way!)
but most importantly, be yourself, and keep smiling. Its nice.

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
See, this is why I'm asking you guys because:
1. I really like you lot
2. These "tips" were taught by Americans....so... I question some of its validity :p
Dress down to go shopping, unless you are in a city centre wanting high end shopping.
Jean's and trainers with polo t shirt or wearing yard gear (but best not in light breeches and top boots) is as acceptable anywhere else as wearing your pj's lol.

Going for 'dinner' at classy restaurant in the evening, yes do scrub up, but we usually go casual if pub grub x

The Fuzzy Furry

Visit site
Tipping, definitely if a good job done at hairdressers.
Usually a service charge is added at most eating out places (check the bill or - even on menu before ordering). If no service charge then yes, leave a tip.
Yes tip low end paid staff in hotels.
Otherwise no need to tip anywhere else at all.

Little local shops sometimes have a local charity collection box near the till, people often drop in their coinage change into these.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
I'm smiling about your trainer and the trainers. Where did s/he get that idea from?
I would bet it was mentioned to her second or third hand, and been taken a bit out of context. Certainly wouldn't be the first time! ;)

Thank you for mentioning that incident. Something to that effect was discussed today (pulling out into the wrong lane and causing an accident outside the gate); however, it was not mentioned that she fled the country. That's some BS. :mad:

I mean it's not unusual to see people shop in slippers and PJ's in most cities. The state I shop in ?. Trainers are worn everywhere at the mo.

My Dad was based on a naval base in San Diego briefly for training apparently he stood out like a sore thumb as he bought a bike to cycle across the base rather than drive like the Americans. So my advice is buy a bike ?

He also wore flares and a beret as it was the 70s but I'm sure it was the bike.
The visual was adorable and made me laugh Cloball, thank you! :) Goodness, if I had to pick one place in the US where bikes would be the thing, it would be San Diego! I blame the Navy. :p

Dress down to go shopping, unless you are in a city centre wanting high end shopping.
Jean's and trainers with polo t shirt or wearing yard gear (but best not in light breeches and top boots) is as acceptable anywhere else as wearing your pj's lol.

Going for 'dinner' at classy restaurant in the evening, yes do scrub up, but we usually go casual if pub grub x
I needed to hear this because I have a strong tradition of going grocery shopping in my breeches and boots. XD

Sounds like dress code less stressful than was made out to be, thank you all! <3