Moving to the UK (Lakenheath) from the US (with my horse?)

SibeliusMB

Visit site
All I can think of to add to the mix, will you be intending to tow a trailer/drive a lorry over here? If so could be worth checking if your US liscence can be converted to the correct one over here, or doing the right training in the US before you depart.
Great question! I do not plan to tow while I'm over there. I'm hoping we can catch a ride with the yard lorry or other liveries with trailers for outings. And if that limits our competitions, I'm perfectly good with that. Competing is not a focus of mine right now, so if we're somewhat limited due to transportation, then I won't be put off. I may look into the licensing requirements though just in case, thank you for the suggestion! Probably wouldn't hurt to have the right requirements in case of emergency. :)

And here's a picture of my current truck and trailer that I will be leaving behind (*cries*). I'm keeping the trailer with a friend, but my baby (truck) will have to get sold on. (*crying intensifies*)

Attachments

• 20201010_144546.jpg
    20201010_144546.jpg
    538 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

P.forpony

Visit site
Hi and welcome!

I’ve been in a very similar situation.
Army family, we spent 4 years posted in Canada. While I was there I bought a 2yr old qh mare, just in time for us to leave she had become a very nice horse.
If I had sold her then I would have got a very good price.
However I turned her out on a friends property as our plan was to return within a year and it was unlikely I’d be able to afford to buy one as good as I already had when I got back.
Besides she was great and I love her ? she was the type you could compete seriously on but then put your future children on for 4H and every girls grand entry dream, buckskin, sassy but with manners! ?

Circumstances didn’t work out like we planned and 3 years later we’re still not back yet. She’d been turned away for a year when I had to make the decision to sell.
She is now in an absolutely fantastic home and I was very lucky in the way it happened. I don’t regret it at all but after a year off doing nothing, I pretty much gave her away to ensure it.

So personally I would sell, you never know what’s going to happen but while you’re still with him it gives you the opportunity to check out any potential buyers and feel good about the home he’s going to.

But if you do bring him, or for taking a new purchase back, you have the advantage of Newmarket being down the road. Obviously full of good international transporters and local to me so happy to help if you have any questions ?

ETA, I type too slow and missed the updates...looks like he may be coming ?
Do what makes you happy, you’ll never regret riding a nice horse wherever you are in the world and we do appreciate a nice Tb here ?

Last edited:

Caol Ila

Visit site
All I can think of to add to the mix, will you be intending to tow a trailer/drive a lorry over here? If so could be worth checking if your US liscence can be converted to the correct one over here, or doing the right training in the US before you depart.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Sorry. The US to UK driving license conversion clusterf*ckery, aka, the UK driving test, still gives me PTSD. And that's without going through the same torture again towing a damned trailer.

God, why did I leave the land of the free, where any a punter with a driving license could tow a six-horse slant load trailer with a V8 dually pickup truck? No extra license or training required.

Seemed like a good idea at the time.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Alternative idea for livery if you're not looking to have your own transport - Anvil Park Stud offers livery and also runs really great British Showjumping events up to 130/140 level - plus has an indoor or two to use. Further to drive for regular visits, but bonus of having lots happening on site. Not sure if Forest Edge offers livery too (can't hurt to ask!).

My experience of not having own transport in this country is that people are sadly often not very willing to offer lifts - and because most people now get around in a 3.5 tonne horsebox, they can only legally carry one horse anyway. There are of course exceptions to this rule - but when viewing livery yards do make a point of seeing if there is any yard transport or people with larger horseboxes who showjump - else you'll find there's no opportunity at all to go out and do anything. Horsebox hire of 3.5 tonnes is available, but expect to pay £100+ per weekend day. Now that I own a 7.5 tonne lorry I often offer up lifts - but because i'm the only person on my 100-horse yard that events or showjumps at affiliated level , I rarely have any takers :rolleyes:

ihatework

Visit site
Great question! I do not plan to tow while I'm over there. I'm hoping we can catch a ride with the yard lorry or other liveries with trailers for outings. And if that limits our competitions, I'm perfectly good with that. Competing is not a focus of mine right now, so if we're somewhat limited due to transportation, then I won't be put off. I may look into the licensing requirements though just in case, thank you for the suggestion! Probably wouldn't hurt to have the right requirements in case of emergency. :)

And here's a picture of my current truck and trailer that I will be leaving behind (*cries*). I'm keeping the trailer with a friend, but my baby (truck) will have to get sold on. (*crying intensifies*)

I would caution reliance on catching lifts over here. In general, if that is what you plan to do you will need to be based on a professional competition yard where they are happy to fill the wagon and will charge £/mile rather than a more general livery yard where people run their own trailers/wagons and tend not to give lifts that willingly.

What we do have is a fair few 3.5T self hire/drive companies around

SibeliusMB

Visit site
I would caution reliance on catching lifts over here. In general, if that is what you plan to do you will need to be based on a professional competition yard where they are happy to fill the wagon and will charge £/mile rather than a more general livery yard where people run their own trailers/wagons and tend not to give lifts that willingly.

What we do have is a fair few 3.5T self hire/drive companies around

Alternative idea for livery if you're not looking to have your own transport - Anvil Park Stud offers livery and also runs really great British Showjumping events up to 130/140 level - plus has an indoor or two to use. Further to drive for regular visits, but bonus of having lots happening on site. Not sure if Forest Edge offers livery too (can't hurt to ask!).

My experience of not having own transport in this country is that people are sadly often not very willing to offer lifts - and because most people now get around in a 3.5 tonne horsebox, they can only legally carry one horse anyway. There are of course exceptions to this rule - but when viewing livery yards do make a point of seeing if there is any yard transport or people with larger horseboxes who showjump - else you'll find there's no opportunity at all to go out and do anything. Horsebox hire of 3.5 tonnes is available, but expect to pay £100+ per weekend day. Now that I own a 7.5 tonne lorry I often offer up lifts - but because i'm the only person on my 100-horse yard that events or showjumps at affiliated level , I rarely have any takers :rolleyes:

I understand that feeling! I keep offering a spot on my trailer to friends at our barn to go hacking, XC schooling, etc, and hardly ever have takers. On rare occasions when I manage to get them out to play, they lament how they never get out to have fun like that outside the ring. :rolleyes:

Thank you both for the warning, I will keep that in mind and will look for yards where the staff can offer transport at cost. So far I've spoken to both Sedgeway and Anvil Park and they made it sound like going on outings with them would be no trouble at all. I'm not looking to go out all the time, but some beach rides, hacking, and the very occasional unaffiliated competition would be good to keep a green horse going (and make for great memories!).

Anvil Park looks lovely, and the fact they have a lot of competition on site with a full compliment of show quality jumps/filler is a definite plus. I'll be very interested to see what it all looks like when the new yard construction is complete. Anvil Park, Sedgeway EC, and Barrow Hall are all on my short list to look at. Based on some input here, emails with the yards, and what I've seen on them online, it seems like we'd fit in well at any of them. If anyone has any opinions on those yards please feel free to message me. I posted on the East of England board and haven't gotten much in the way of specific feedback and I'm wondering if I need to start another thread in the Tack Room.

Thank you all again!

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Hi and welcome!

I’ve been in a very similar situation.
Army family, we spent 4 years posted in Canada. While I was there I bought a 2yr old qh mare, just in time for us to leave she had become a very nice horse.
If I had sold her then I would have got a very good price.
However I turned her out on a friends property as our plan was to return within a year and it was unlikely I’d be able to afford to buy one as good as I already had when I got back.
Besides she was great and I love her ? she was the type you could compete seriously on but then put your future children on for 4H and every girls grand entry dream, buckskin, sassy but with manners! ?

Circumstances didn’t work out like we planned and 3 years later we’re still not back yet. She’d been turned away for a year when I had to make the decision to sell.
She is now in an absolutely fantastic home and I was very lucky in the way it happened. I don’t regret it at all but after a year off doing nothing, I pretty much gave her away to ensure it.

So personally I would sell, you never know what’s going to happen but while you’re still with him it gives you the opportunity to check out any potential buyers and feel good about the home he’s going to.

But if you do bring him, or for taking a new purchase back, you have the advantage of Newmarket being down the road. Obviously full of good international transporters and local to me so happy to help if you have any questions ?

ETA, I type too slow and missed the updates...looks like he may be coming ?
Do what makes you happy, you’ll never regret riding a nice horse wherever you are in the world and we do appreciate a nice Tb here ?
Thank you! So sorry to hear about the situation with your QH mare (she sounds like she's lovely!), but I understand where you're coming from. Right now I'm definitely leaning toward bringing him, but will make the final decision maybe in April or so and will see where we are at then. I may reach out to you about the Newmarket area and any contacts you might have in the transport world. It seems (in theory, anyway), like it would make more sense to ship a horse from one Thoroughbred capital to another without having to go through NYC, Amsterdam, etc! But we'll see what I can figure out. I'm getting my TB breeding contacts on here in Lexington to see if they have any ideas. If not then he'll go the more conventional route like most exports/imports and that's what I have quotes for already.

Whereabouts in Canada were you posted? I've been toying with applying for a joint USAF/RCAF billet in Winnipeg one day because my inner hockey player/fanatic would love it. Not a lot of hockey here in Kentucky...hockey in DC was great, plenty of it and full of expats. I miss my Canadians!

Pippity

Visit site
Whereabouts in Canada were you posted? I've been toying with applying for a joint USAF/RCAF billet in Winnipeg one day because my inner hockey player/fanatic would love it. Not a lot of hockey here in Kentucky...hockey in DC was great, plenty of it and full of expats. I miss my Canadians!

We have SOME hockey in the UK, but, um, not great. Although our national team has somehow fluked its way into Division A, club level is more semi-pro than pro. The nearest team to you is probably the Peterborough Phantoms who are in the NIHL, the UK equivalent of the AHL.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
We have SOME hockey in the UK, but, um, not great. Although our national team has somehow fluked its way into Division A, club level is more semi-pro than pro. The nearest team to you is probably the Peterborough Phantoms who are in the NIHL, the UK equivalent of the AHL.
Thank you for this!! Once COVID allows it would be fun to go see a Phantoms game. And flukey or not, I still remember this game and how much fun it was to watch. Everyone was cheering for GB that day. Have fun in Group A...we have to go through Finland and Canada in Group B, and given the play of our senior teams of late I'm not holding my breath.

I've already scoped out the rinks and between Peterborough and Cambridge, I'm set for ice time! If I can play a few times a month I'm happy, I won't have time to play on an adult team full time so just getting occasional practice time is usually enough when I'm busy (horse time comes first). My one requirement for a vehicle since I won't be towing is I have to be able to cram all my goalie gear in it. :p

P.forpony

Visit site
Thank you! So sorry to hear about the situation with your QH mare (she sounds like she's lovely!), but I understand where you're coming from. Right now I'm definitely leaning toward bringing him, but will make the final decision maybe in April or so and will see where we are at then. I may reach out to you about the Newmarket area and any contacts you might have in the transport world. It seems (in theory, anyway), like it would make more sense to ship a horse from one Thoroughbred capital to another without having to go through NYC, Amsterdam, etc! But we'll see what I can figure out. I'm getting my TB breeding contacts on here in Lexington to see if they have any ideas. If not then he'll go the more conventional route like most exports/imports and that's what I have quotes for already.

We were in Alberta...Texas of the north ya’ll!
I absolutely loved it!
I’d never skated in my life...and ended up goaltending for several seasons! so I sense a kindred spirit ?

Please give me a shout any time, I will ask around for you, we deal with a few companies in Lexington and loads of different transport companies so someone will have a sensible/direct route I’m sure ?

SibeliusMB

Visit site
I should have known you're a goalie! I was a forward, back when I had time to play, largely because I never mastered skating backwards.
You might laugh at this: I play a reasonably high level in men's league in net, but I wanted to learn to play forward for the first time so I joined a women's D league (low level play) for fun. In all my years you'd think I'd know where everyone stands for faceoffs...NOPE. I was like a lost little sheep. ?

We were in Alberta...Texas of the north ya’ll!
I absolutely loved it!
I’d never skated in my life...and ended up goaltending for several seasons! so I sense a kindred spirit ?

Please give me a shout any time, I will ask around for you, we deal with a few companies in Lexington and loads of different transport companies so someone will have a sensible/direct route I’m sure ?
Alberta, I'm so jealous!!! It's better than Texas because the people are nice and not obsessed with being Texan. ?? Did you get to Spruce at all to see some of the competitions there? That's on my list...someday!

And absolutely to the kindred spirit thing - I'm weirdly social butterfly-ish when anyone mentions hockey. And since you played goal, then I am automatically your best friend. ?

I so, so appreciate your help, I will message you in a bit. I so hope I can find a more direct route for Sig if possible and hopefully we can figure it out! I'm going to start asking my Lexington area TB breeder friends to help get the discussion going and I'll let you know what they say from this side of the Pond. :) Thank you!

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Update!

I have my assignment information now and it looks like I'll be coming to the UK in the first week or so of June. I've been thinking on this a lot over the last several weeks and I've decided I want to bring Sig with me. He's going so well, I have a connection with him, he's the horse I need now and has the capabilities to do what I realistically require (1m-1.10. jumpers, up to 2nd level dressage, hacking, etc). I think the whole 1.20-1.30 jumper thing was my inner teenager getting excited. After looking at all the options, this is the decision that makes my heart the happiest even if it's the second most idiotic financial decision I've ever made, next to buying horses in the first place. ?

I have done a lot of research on yards, thank you to those who have reached out with suggestions. I've decided for now that Anvil Park Stud is our best choice between facilities, turnout, competition options, hacking, and general approach to life as the owners seem really lovely. Before Sig comes over I'll be stopping over there to make sure it's as good a fit in person as it seems over the internet and email. Now that I have a date and a destination I can begin working Sig's tentative travel arrangements (he would arrive after I got moved in and settled). If something should change once I get in country, Sig can stay in KY and either be loaned out or sold, as he's with my trusted friend and trainer here in the States. But that's worst case scenario.

Which leaves me of where I should live...initially I did not think I was eligible for base housing on RAF Lakenheath, and after looking at Anvil I thought the Thetford area would be a perfect middle-ground, about half way between the base and the yard. I was starting to get excited about living in the community instead of the boring, "little America" that bases usually are. But then work said that my position comes with base housing, and then that started to look appealing because I don't need to worry about the size of house, downsizing any of my furniture, or worrying about what electronics I can bring. Plus it would be helpful being close to work in case of emergencies that I would handle in my position. THEN they said "just kidding, the list was revised this week and now you're no longer eligible for base housing" which has sent me spinning again. So...we'll see. I may still try to live on RAF Lakenheath if they can make an exception for me, otherwise I'll go back to the original plan of looking for options in the Thetford area once I get in country. I was low key excited about base housing and not having to house hunt in the community once I got there though... :confused: It's just me, no spouse, so house hunting and moving is always a little extra annoying for me.

This all makes my move to Japan look so simple and easy in comparison! ?

Recent Sig photo for good measure:

146955101_10100126206463940_7137389833855738942_n.jpg

Trouper

Visit site
So glad that you have decided to bring the boy with you - at least that is one decision made - if expensive!!. At least you will be up and galloping from the moment he arrives.
I think you are very wise to take a personal look at the yard when you get here. I'm sure it will be fine but there is nothing better than eyes on to make sure you are completely happy.
I'm no help regarding your own accommodation in the area but are you able to touch down at Lakenheath in some type of transit accommodation at first or do you have to sort it all out before you come??

Northern Hare

Visit site
Hi there! Great to read your update, and that’s good news that you’ve got your posting dates etc confirmed! I was very much in the “sell Sig before you left US” camp, but having read your more recent updates, I’ve switched sides and think it’s great you’re probably bringing him over with you!

Ref your accommodation, for rental properties if you’re arranging your own accommodation, then there is a minimum term for the standard Shorthold Tenancy Agreement (ie. the Rental Agreement) of six months, then you can roll on or extend for another term etc.

If you’ve been looking at properties then you’ve probably already found Rightmove.com which is one of the most popular sites. Perhaps you’ll be able to get temporary accommodation on the Base for a few weeks so that you can get out and view the accommodation?

Good luck with your preparations for your move! ?

P.forpony

Visit site
Oooh exciting!
Sounds very strange to me that they might not accommodate you, British army housing is automatic but then again some of the places we've lived in have made me wish it wasn't...! ?

There are lots of options for houses in the area depending on what you're looking for, I'm actually house hunting around there right now ?
Feel free to ask if there's anything you're curious about with housing or transport companies locally.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Thank you all!! :)

The base has temporary lodging facilities (hotel) that I can go straight into when I get here. Assuming I do not get base housing, I will be spending my quarantine in the TLF and will have to start the online house hunt while in quarantine. So at least there's that. And yes I've found rightmove, I had a lot of properties favorited just to get an idea of what was out there. I was really excited about living in the community and away from the base for the full experience, and I can get excited about it again (being closer to the yard is nice on the weekends!). But when they dangled the "your position comes with base housing" in front of me I was even MORE excited about not having to house hunt or worry about the logistics. ? Oh well.

P.forpony it sounds like the whole tri-base area (RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, RAF Feltwell) all have somewhat limited housing available, so they limit it to family housing only. :confused: If families want to live off-base in the community they can, but more senior single folks like me are stuck sourcing a house in the community by default. Only the younger enlisted members who are single can live on base and they're stuck in dormitories. But with my rank and position, my leadership is trying to get base housing to make an exception for me, since the position had been listed as "key and essential" and qualified for base housing only last week before they revised the list.

I wouldn't be upset at all to live in the community, at this point I just need the base to stop flip-flopping on what they're telling me so I can get my head wrapped around what I have to do. :oops: I've also lived in base housing that at second glance made me question my decision to live there so I feel your pain! ? Lived on base at Andrews in the DC area and never again, haha. At least the base housing on RAF Lakenheath is relatively new and from what I've seen, really nice.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Thank you Suechoccy! I love hearing feedback about the Thetford area. I've heard from several US military in the area and they all love it exactly for those reasons and are really happy there. Even if the base housing doesn't work out, Thetford was my top choice all along . All I have are good options to choose from so I cannot possibly be upset about that. :)

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Well, looks like decision #2 was made for me. Base is refusing my housing request so it's back to looking at Thetford. Which in the end will make me way happier, but right now I'm just annoyed at how this was handled on the base side and the extra work it's going to cause the first month or two I'm there. UGH! :mad:

Thinking pleasant thoughts of a 10 minute drive to the yard and lovely forest walks....

Northern Hare

Visit site
Oh, that's a pain! Can they provide you with some temporary accommodation for the first few weeks so you can get out and view some properties? In the long run though, I'm sure it will be to your advantage as when you're not at work, you won't be on the Base with all the faff of the security checkpoints etc. But I do appreciate that it's a pain to start with. :(

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Yes thankfully I have temporary lodging for quarantine and will try to get some Thetford area properties lined up while I am stuck in my hotel on base. And I agree that when I'm not at work it will be so nice living in the community and getting the full UK experience, as well as being away from the circus on base. I'm just so annoyed at the USAF right now (not the first time!) for how they handled this, hopefully that will fade as I continue to look at fantastic houses out in the Thetford direction. :)

Krys1935

New User
Visit site
This is a late reply, not sure when you were moving but I keep my horses in Lakenheath so let me know whatever decision you make if you want a hacking buddy to show you around! It’s a hard decision I really do feel for you!

SibeliusMB

Visit site
This is a late reply, not sure when you were moving but I keep my horses in Lakenheath so let me know whatever decision you make if you want a hacking buddy to show you around! It’s a hard decision I really do feel for you!
Thank you! I've decided to bring him and right now based on our needs I've found a yard. Where are you keeping your horse in Lakenheath? Feel free to PM.

Sounds like typical Services (I have relatives in UK and USA army).

What happens about getting a car?
Right?? I don't know where "military efficiency" came from but it sure wasn't from any military I know! ;)

Regarding the car...the individual I'm replacing offered me his Fiat 500L, but I may or may not buy it. I'm starting to lean back toward an estate or small SUV. I'd either buy used and pay cash or do a lease. We have a driving class/test we take on the base and after that we're good to go. Once I'm out of quarantine I'll be able to rent a car temporarily to go look at other cars and/or properties.

MummyEms

Visit site
Hi again ☺
Wow Thetford is very near my yard. Hope to meet you once you're settled ? good luck!
Ps. So happy you're bringing your loved horse. So often people forget horses feelings and their connections to their human especially if its a good one like yours.

spookypony

Visit site
A small SUV could pull a single-horse trailer...

What alarmed me (when I moved to Scotland from Canada) was how small and flimsy-looking the towing rigs here are! Now, I'm quite used to the SUV+Ifor setup, and I like the relative affordability: you can pick up a solid used trailer for under £1500...and depending on when you did your license (I don't know how old you are, but if you're in a fairly senior position, you may have done it in 1997 or earlier), I think you get given a B+E automatically, which allows towing without an extra test.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Spookypony, I'm not sure under what framework US military can drive here -- it sounds like they get some kind of special dispensation not available to punters -- but generally speaking, it does not matter when you got your US license. The DVLA don't care, so you're operating under the post-1997 rules, sadly.

Outwith military stuff, Americans have to sit both the written and practical test, just like new UK drivers. I think Canada might be a on a list of countries where you can avoid this pain and just swap your license. Don't ask me how many times I failed the practical.

One of the things I miss most about the US is the freedom to drive a massive rig; no further testing needed. Mine was a Ford F-250 and a huge (7'6 ft high) steel two-horse herring bone trailer with a wee tack room. I loved it. I still think towing a small tin can trailer with a small SUV is terrifyng. Borrowed a friend's one-horse trailer and towed it with my old Subaru Forester once, and I was sh1tting myself. It was for a clinic, and the YO of the clinic barn said the easiest route there involved the M74. The fkuc was I taking that rig on the M74.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
From what I've seen/heard US military take a 2-4 hour driving course on base and then have a written test. Then we can drive. That was the same situation when I moved to Japan. I'm not new to right hand drive vehicles.

Thanks for the info about trailers, but as I said in an earlier post I'm not looking to obtain a trailer while I'm there (if I were permanently relocating that would be a different story) . Yards I've inquired to all have lorries driven by yard staff for when we need to go places, and I feel much better with my horse on a lorry than a small trailer. I'm definitely used to and more comfortable with the big American style rigs - I have my own Chevy 2500 diesel truck and gooseneck trailer, and the combined length of that rig hooked up is about 35 feet. I know you all do great with the smaller towing vehicles and trailers but I would need a lot of time to get used to it. ?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Good news is that you can drive the 3.5t lorries on a normal license. If I won the lottery, that's what I would buy. if you need a truck for a one-off thing and yard transport isn't available, you can easily hire/rent one, so long as you can drive a vehicle with a manual gearbox (I've yet to come across an automatic hire lorry).