Moving to the UK (Lakenheath) from the US (with my horse?)

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
If you want to have some roundabout fun, have a trip to England and try the magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead. ;) It is six small roundabouts arranged in a circle (there maybe other similar ones that I don't know about).

C3wqmFSXUAEd-cN.jpg

It becomes easier the more you do it, but you can tell the newbies by the white faces full of fear hanging on for dear life

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Also if you really want to test your driving skills have a play in Luton and Hemel Hempstead. I learnt to drive in Luton, nothing much phases me now ?

SibeliusMB

Visit site
I don't even like or follow American football but I will say this....rugby is contact sport, American football is a collision sport. Two very different things. I'll leave it at that as I really do not want to dedicate another ounce of energy to either. It's hockey playoffs. Which probably no one here cares about. But I'm good with that. No one really cares in the US either. :cool:

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I don't even like or follow American football but I will say this....rugby is contact sport, American football is a collision sport. Two very different things. I'll leave it at that as I really do not want to dedicate another ounce of energy to either. It's hockey playoffs. Which probably no one here cares about. But I'm good with that. :cool:

I'm not really an either fan but my friend and her American best friend often have interesting discussions about rugby and American football. Both with valid and wild points.

A friends childern play ice hockey but I'm not sure on the UK pro scene.

Trouper

Visit site
I'm laughing at all the advice coming at you as I am sure we must have totally confused you by now!!! The house and yard situation (that's livery yard as opposed to a green space attached to your house!;)) sounds perfect so I guess you are itching to get the boy here now. I know I'm impatiently waiting for a photo of him taking his first look at England.

hobo

Visit site
If you want to have some roundabout fun, have a trip to England and try the magic roundabout in Hemel Hempstead. ;) It is six small roundabouts arranged in a circle (there maybe other similar ones that I don't know about).

C3wqmFSXUAEd-cN.jpg
Great photo of that I think the most famous one is the Swindon one or maybe it is just because I used to live near it.

hobo

Visit site
Just googled and Swindon was the first magic roundabout followed by Hemel Hempstead Swindon also won the worst roundabout follow by HH in second place!

Hopefully Sib will never have the joy of tackling them. Yes Sib do not do the left on the red light it will not go down well here. Teapot you turned my stomach this morning reminding me of the thick gloopy white gravy that they have on 'biscuits' yuk.

katastrophykat

Visit site
OP, I worked in American barns for a summer and was amazed at the differences!

We feed less supplements, in fact, we generally feed less full stop and let the grass do it’s thing.

Wait and see is a good motto- if you’re not sure what to do, do nothing. Something else will change and you’ll see what to do next.

In fact, just wait. If you see a queue (a line!), join it- we all do, mostly with no idea why. ?

Whine about the weather. More than three days of any set weather pattern is just ‘too much’ here.

No one in any service industry will turn down tips, ever, but don’t feel rotten about not leaving one if the service isn’t up to it.

Rarely actually complain about anything (food/horrific haircut) just don’t go back. ?

Straight faces and sarcasm is our go to- if someone is ‘sarky’ to you, they either like you… or they don’t. Either fits.

We are at our most bolshy with our best mates, and our most polite to strangers.

Feel free to browse here for more info.

https://www.facebook.com/soverybritish/

humblepie

Visit site
Ah, learning to drive in Swindon sets you up for roundabouts everywhere - or used to. I am not sure that is true now as the Swindon one works well whereas so many roundabouts just leave you in the wrong lane by suddenly sticking a directional restriction on the tarmac which does not tie in with what the road signs indicated about where lanes went to.

humblepie

Visit site
Late to this thread but - being based at Lakenheath you have Mildenhall near you. That is of course pronounced Mildenhall. However should you find yourself in Wiltshire looking for the village of Mildenhall. That is not pronounced Mildenhall. It is Minal. No, never understood that one myself.

Zuzan

Visit site
The magic roundabout is starting to make sense to me, but only after studying the aerial view for 10 minutes. I can't imagine rolling up to that with no warning. o_O
Umm hate to add confusion but The Magic Roundabout is a quite trippy Childrens programme .. that was actually French...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

pansymouse

Visit site
Great photo of that I think the most famous one is the Swindon one or maybe it is just because I used to live near it.

I used to work in Swindon and had an American friend - if we went out to lunch I made her drive round the Magic Roundabout just for the amusement value, it was frequently a near death experience. Despite living n the UK for many years she had never really mastered changing gear, roundabouts, parallel parking or driving on the "wrong side of the road". I think she kept a body shop in business single handedly.

Cloball

Visit site
Back on the subject of what to wear shopping the last time I was in tesco in my boots, jods and a thin film of dust and sweat, I was very surprised to be asked out by a very attractive man... I highly recommend it.

What do you guys call flip flops that's usually the one that entertains me with my Aussie and kiwi pals.

Also some roundabouts are not round they are tear drops of dumbbell shapes.

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Back on the subject of what to wear shopping the last time I was in tesco in my boots, jods and a thin film of dust and sweat, I was very surprised to be asked out by a very attractive man... I highly recommend it.
Excellent! I look forward to Tesco dirty riding clothes dating because I've given up on the online crap! ;)

What do you guys call flip flops that's usually the one that entertains me with my Aussie and kiwi pals.
Flip flops! :) First conversation with an Aussie and they said "thongs" I was like :eek: Good for a laugh! :p

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The Hemel roundabout is a real eye opener, you have to have your wits about you.

Lots of terms differences

USA " hit the light ..................................... ....... UK " turn light off
USA " Pants ....................................... ...... UK " Jeans/ trousers
USA " Faucet ....................................... . UK " Tap
USA " Fall ........................................ UK" Autumn

Carmen6

Visit site
I had to explain to a German friend the other day what it means to "take the piss"? Americans don't use that phrase either.
Some Americans do know what "taking the piss" means, but I'm not sure if that's just because of their own personal exposure to Brits...

On a similar note, "got the shits" in Australia means that somebody is upset.

I have many foreign friends; swear words and phrases are the first things you work out between you. Hilarity ensues! Then after the swears, you educate each other about food. It's the law of foreign friends. :D

SibeliusMB

Visit site
Well no new real updates other than I am now the proud owner of a MINI Clubman. I am so amused by this I can't stop ??

FB_IMG_1624654105090.jpg

To be fair...she's just big enough to fit my ice hockey kit or a tack trunk. Practicality! ? I tried my friend's Fiat 500L, and just didn't like it. A great family car, sure, but just felt awkward to me. The Mini felt natural right from the start and it's fun enough to drive. Licensed, road tax paid, I'm all legal now...it's nice having my own wheels and I celebrated by heading to a local wildlife reserve and enjoyed the sunshine. ? No more driving around in the rental car, which had it's company's logos plastered all over it...which screams "I'M NOT FROM AROUND HERE." ?

Had a lovely hack last weekend with a work friend of mine. Was SO nice to spend the afternoon around horses!

FB_IMG_1624654543109.jpg

Sig is doing fine, enjoying his last two weeks of holiday before he flies over. I am really missing him and just can't wait until he's settled and we can get back to our usual routine.

teddypops

Visit site
Working in hospitality, tipping is Always required as us pub/restaurant staff are woefully under payed and tips make a huge difference to our shifts. It's miserable English people (I'm English) that don't tip mainly and it's really frustrating tbh. You will also find far fewer 'Karens' over here, But they are still her none the less
Tipping is not required. It is most definitely optional.