Mr B was PTS this evening

oldie48

Visit site
I can't believe it, I have lost my lovely Bisto to colic. I heard him thrashing around just before 19.00, vet came and it soon beame very clear that he had a strangulated colic and the decision was made to PTS. He wouldn't have made it into the clinic and tbh I had already decided not to put him through surgery. I cannot tell you how I feel, just so numb. I owe him so much and I hope I did right by him and that he didn't suffer too much. One of the saddest days of my life.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Sorry to hear this - I liked the post but not sure it’s the right thing but wanted to acknowledge... I’m sure you
Made the right decision I wouldn’t put a horse of mine thru surgery but it still must hurt like hell .... hugs xx

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am so sorry.

You certainly did the right thing for him. An emergency pts like that is the worst for us but when it happens so quickly, it is the best for the horse. It will take a while to get your head round it, look after yourself.

SadKen

Visit site
I'm so sorry, I'm sure you're in a terrible state of shock.

You did absolutely the right thing. You ended his pain and took the burden on yourself. It is the bravest act of a true friend. Thinking of you both.

be positive

Visit site
I am so sorry, take comfort in knowing you heard him early on so he did not suffer , look after yourself it is one of the worst things to go through as an owner and you did the right thing letting him go quickly.
RIP Mr B.

oldie48

Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has replied to my post. I still can't quite take it in, I thought Bisto and I would retire gracefully together. It was not to be. It is very comforting to know that so many of you understand how I feel even though you have never met me. he was an awesome horse, talented and kind but not easy. Far too much horse for me when I bought him but gave me (eventually) the confidence to be a much better rider than I thought possible and let me experience a level that I'd only dreamed of. We never got the 3's and 4's whih were our challenge for this year and tbh I couldn't maintain the quality of canter after the first change, a work in progress but now come to an end. I was so lucky to find him although he was too big, the wrong colour and the wrong breed, I think we were meant to spend time together and he was much loved by everyone who came into contact with him. A real gentleman in all circumstances!

Surbie

Visit site
Am really sorry, that must be a hideous thing to go through. I hope knowing you did the right thing by him helps you a bit.