Mr B was PTS this evening

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I can't believe it, I have lost my lovely Bisto to colic. I heard him thrashing around just before 19.00, vet came and it soon beame very clear that he had a strangulated colic and the decision was made to PTS. He wouldn't have made it into the clinic and tbh I had already decided not to put him through surgery. I cannot tell you how I feel, just so numb. I owe him so much and I hope I did right by him and that he didn't suffer too much. One of the saddest days of my life.
So sorry, how awful for you. Thinking of you.

cindars

Visit site
Sorry to hear of your loss. I lost an Arab mare like this so quick 9am she was seen by vet came back at noon and she was gone dreadful shock.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
For me, events like this really hammer home the message to appreciate every single moment with your horse - even if we think they are being a bit of a prat/uncooperative or whatever. You never know if there will be a tomorrow. RIP Mr B and take care Oldie48.
100% agree with this, we are so lucky to have them in our lives, it's horribly cruel when they are wrenched away without warning.

oldie48

Visit site
100% agree with this, we are so lucky to have them in our lives, it's horribly cruel when they are wrenched away without warning.
I was certainly very lucky to have Bisto in my life, although it did take me a while to appreciate him! I've shed a lot of tears today but I know that the real testament to him is that I want to continue riding. He's given me so much confidence and has taught me so much over the last 4 or so years that not to continue would be, in a strange way, letting him down. So, I am starting to let people know that I am looking for a horse, not to replace Bisto, I could never do that, but to continue having fun on. When I find the right boy, he will be my 70th birthday present from my OH, who is almost as sad as I am!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I was certainly very lucky to have Bisto in my life, although it did take me a while to appreciate him! I've shed a lot of tears today but I know that the real testament to him is that I want to continue riding. He's given me so much confidence and has taught me so much over the last 4 or so years that not to continue would be, in a strange way, letting him down. So, I am starting to let people know that I am looking for a horse, not to replace Bisto, I could never do that, but to continue having fun on. When I find the right boy, he will be my 70th birthday present from my OH, who is almost as sad as I am!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
I think it is always testament to a horse to look for another after they have gone. None can ever be replaced, but the horse that comes next benefits from all you learn from the one before.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I am so pleased to see this! You did so well with Bisto that it would have been a terrible shame for you to decide to give up now. I hope you find a suitable horse soon, so that you can put everything you learned with B to good use, what could be better for a 70th birthday present?

oldie48

Visit site
I am so pleased to see this! You did so well with Bisto that it would have been a terrible shame for you to decide to give up now. I hope you find a suitable horse soon, so that you can put everything you learned with B to good use, what could be better for a 70th birthday present?
Bless you for saying this, I know it is the right thing to do but wondered if some people would find it callous so almost didn't post it. I also hope I find something suitable fairly soon, however a friend with an adv med horse has said I can ride as much as I like and compete if I want to, so at least I can keep going .At my age, I seize up if I am out of the saddle for too long. I have been overwhelmed with how kind people have been.

Reacher

Visit site
Very sorry for your loss. I had seen some of your posts and read them with awe.
Like gunner dog says you never know when you will lose them. I shall give my horses an extra hug tonight

paddy555

Visit site
Bless you for saying this, I know it is the right thing to do but wondered if some people would find it callous so almost didn't post it. I also hope I find something suitable fairly soon, however a friend with an adv med horse has said I can ride as much as I like and compete if I want to, so at least I can keep going .At my age, I seize up if I am out of the saddle for too long. I have been overwhelmed with how kind people have been.

So sorry for your loss. It's not callous. You did everything for Bisto, now is the time to look after yourself. Hope you find your new friend soon.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

I had to have my Draft mare pts last November and I already had her 'replacement' a young cob, which I bought when I retired. The idea is that she and the young Appaloosa will be my and sister's last horses (touch wood!) and I think not being able to start looking for a new horse has made it harder to 'get over' the loss of the Draft horse, I have always started looking soon after the pts before. I must admit that I do browse the ads occasionally and haven't actually seen anything that I might buy.

Griffin

Visit site
Sad to read this but you did absolutely the right thing by him. I think it is nice that you want another horse, it shows what a lovely time you had with him and that he has made you want to continue.

claret09

Visit site
so sorry. colic is such a horrific illness. we all love our horses so, so much and dread losing them. you can take comfort from knowing you did the right thing. thinking of you

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Couldn't pass by without responding to this.

Am SO sorry, everything must have happened so quickly that you hardly hd time to say a proper goodbye........

But the one thing you could do for your boy was the thing that you did; and it was the ONLY thing that could be done given the awful circumstances.

I can identify with some of what you will be feeling as I had my two oldies PTS - together - last Tuesday. Totally different scenario, as we had planned it and I knew it was going to happen for the week before, but I did have lots of time to say goodbye.

So sooohh sorry for your loss. Unfortunately it never gets any easier.

Sending hugs.