Mucking out cars

buddylove

Visit site
IMG_85498176776418_zpsilplcavy.jpeg

Nessa4

Visit site
Our poor disco is suffering atm. Always full of farm, mud, pig feed, string etc. a couple of days ago son was driving it, slammed his brakes on to avoid a merc in the middle of the road & lost a drum of water everywhere. Its soaked into the carpet which has woken all THOSE smells & now smells like something died in there. OH is taking the Organic inspector out in it shortly, hope he has a strong stomach!

Once had that happen with a large carton of milk' which exploded - impossible to clean it up fully, so the usual smells (dog, horse , old haylage, muckheap and, or some reason, curry) were then followed by sour milk. Fortunatley(?) itfailed its MOT fairly spectacularly and went to the scrapyard in the sky! Current motor just has the usual crop of hay, straw, muck, horsehair, doghair, mud and something unidentifiable in the boot that I will prod with a stick sometime when I'm feeling strong and brave!

Merrymoles

Visit site
Mine's awful but is so low on my priority list that it never really gets sorted. The mess gets worse in the winter when there are more layers of "emergency" clothing in there.

My list of "emergency" stuff in the back gets longer but at present is:
Pair of emergency wellies - often work on building sites so stops the panic if I've forgotten my every day ones
Emergency waterproof - for when I've gone out without a coat
Emergency socks - for when my boots spring a leak
Emergency headcollar and rope - have caught stray horses on the road more than once so now always carry one
Emergency tyre sealant - lent to me when I had a slow puncture and not yet returned
Emergency shovel - hangover from when we lived a mile down a rough track on a high hill! I've stopped carrying a bag of grit though

All the other junk isn't really necessary but includes my head torch, binoculars, spare high vis, parking change, maps, dog towels, bailing string, bungees, bits of rope, spare tub of antiseptic cream, old hand cream, wooly hat etc etc - can't remember what else but you get the picture.

All this plus a nice layer of mud, hay, horse and dog hair.

It was a new car six years ago and I got waterproof seat covers to protect the seats from my general lifestyle. I might take them off one day and see what colour the seats are ;)

Last edited:

cbmcts

Visit site
My car is going to the carwash tomorrow before its MOT - I've had to promise the guys there AT LEAST double before they'd agree to clean it...and I'll get a lecture when I pick it up! :)

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Mine is now for sale. It took me, OH and 2 kids a whole day to get it clean. There was hay everywhere. . not to mention half a tack room..
I have decided not to ever get a remotely smart car again. It isn't worth it!

FrostyFeet

Visit site
Am away on holiday at the minute and my mum has whipped my car away in my absence (she's taking care of house bunnies) and had it valeted as she was so horrified when she looked inside -just had a message to say it's now pristine inside and out! Eek,am hyperventilating at the thought I have to try to keep it that way 😳
Ps I'm 45 (hangs head in shame)

WelshD

Visit site
My car is going to the carwash tomorrow before its MOT - I've had to promise the guys there AT LEAST double before they'd agree to clean it...and I'll get a lecture when I pick it up! :)

LOL I can beat that - I've had one of those places REFUSE to do my car!

zaminda

Visit site
My car rarely has any back seats, as they are usually down to extend the storage space. I was once asked by a guy at work who I had killed, then I realised there was a scythe, a spade, and an assortment of things which could be used to bind a person in the back of my car!
At the moment, I keep some spare rugs, and a wash bucket and water container in the car, as I often ride from the field. No one would steal my car, and they would be struggling to find anything in it a non horsey person would want to steal!

Britestar

Visit site
Many years ago, a farmer friend of mine went to clean his car, only to find barley sprouting on the back seat!

My truck thats used for towing is always a mess, and has all sorts in it. My 'work' car I try to keep tidier, but at the weekend, removed 3 hoodies, 2 jackets, and 2 sweatshirts from it (wondered where all my clothes had gone). Plus 2 pairs of shoes, something food related I couldn't identify, and a saddle. Left the rachet tie downs, string and a packets of yoghurt covered raisins ( I might get hungry sometime).

Tnavas

Visit site
Mine got mucked out yesterday, it still has bits of hay and seeds clinging to its apolstery, but you can at least see the floor now. One winter I had a mouse in residence, never saw her (girl mice don't smell) but she left tiny poops around, she must have had a really shiny coat too as she had eaten her way into a bag of Linseed.

Good thing about a messy car, I know what I'm looking for is most likely in the car! Mainly the shoes I had been wearing before I changed into gumboots. :D

Mince Pie

Visit site
I had to stop suddenly and the boy's feed tipped up everywhere - when I got home I put the chickens in there for half an hour - good hoovers chickens!

I may end up doing the same thing with my JRT!

Mine is empty of most of the horsey stuff but has a thick layer of mud, dog hair and sand in it. It does need a clean but compared to my old cars it's spotless :biggrin3:

dollymix

Visit site
mine isn't great, despite taking steps to keep it reasonably tidy and clean. For example, I used to just throw my change of clothes on the back seat, now I keep them in a travel bag, and I ALWAYS change my shoes....but this really just means the drivers foot well is clean but the boot is covered in mud, straw and .....!

I would love a proper boot liner - I just use an old tarpaulin, and it slides around and all the dirty stuff ends up on the fabric anyway. Can you get boot liners for Audi A4 estate?

I sometimes need to drive people for work, so I try to maintain it the state that if I am asked to give a lift, it is not too much of a panic to throw everything in the boot an pull the cover over....albeit there is a horsey aroma!

The outside is really the worst though...it is a nice looking car when clean, but as I have to drive on country lanes and up an down a farm track every day, morning and night...it is usually a dusty grey colour instead of deep blue!

Tnavas

Visit site
When I muck mine out - I remove absolutely anything that I need onto the ground, put large rubbish in a plastic sack andf then toddle off to the local service station who have a vacuum cleaner that would suck my car up if I didn't hold on to it. I also take a hoof pick with me to remove the hay blockage that will occur during the process. Then car goes through the car wash, looks sparkly clean for a few days before becoming covered in dust/mud depending on the weather.

I was at one store loading up my purchases when a smart man commented that I needed a van - "Why? I asked, its amazing what you can fit in a Honda City EE - its not called the Tardis for nothing" He was most amused.

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
My car transports four dogs as well as tack etc. I mainly work from home but recently had to go to a meeting at the Fire Service College which is in a fairly rural location. After the meeting I was asked if I would give a lift to a colleague back to the station (only a. 10 min walk away thank goodness) I had to fess up about the state of my car, ie, transport for four muddy dogs. Colleague declined the lift cos he had his suit on! I did feel bad...

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Mine is seriously clean at the moment, as I drove non-horsey/animaly relatives in at the weekend, so gave it a good muck out.

It took blooming ages mind (and more than a few black bags :D ) In the boot, I now only have: Wellingtons boots (in a boot bag, no less!), long riding mac, torch & spare headcollar. In the glove compartment I've got a map & sat-nav & on my back seat I've got a pair of heels for work. Oh, currently an empty Starbucks take out mug too, as I couldn't be bothered to take it to the recycling bin when I pulled up.

Tnavas

Visit site
On Saturday I had 6 storage cubes, 10 A4 Box Files, the dog and his bed, A bucket of sawdust, a printer, 3 x 70litre storage bins, a 3m Gazebo, A 3m folding table, a flattened dog crate and a lamb!

My car is not big at all!
HondaCityEe.jpg

milesjess

Visit site
Haha mine is clean inside ... But I ain't bothered about washing it, soon as I pull onto the yard it's filthy so there's no point.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Mine's disgusting. Three dripping springers don't help, never mind half the field and bits of hay, shavings, the odd rancid carrot. I emptied my car tonight so I could bring home the wheelbarrow (big delivery of bedding tomorrow) and removed two coats, three pairs of shoes, old receipts, leads, collars, blooming ridiculous.

Crumpet

Visit site
Mine is fairly rancid, with nicely gritty and hairy upholstery (thanks to the low slung bassets) mud smears in strange places and large amounts of dirt, pebbles and horsehair. Soon, when they are in at night I'll add straw and hay to the mix. If anything is missing in the house/yard it's almost always somewhere buried in the car, along with more clothes/boots/coats/tack than any four people need. I'll muck it out about April, just in time for MOT, I believe it's happy being deep littered and unbathed!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
He he, my disco is an extension of my house, field, yard etc..

It had a full valet recently courtesy of the garage it was being MOT'd at. The welding gun exploded inside splattering the interior with sticky black underseal. It was so clean I didn't recognise it. I am happy to say that it is gradually returning to normal. ;)