Mucking out straw beds

EllenJay

Visit site
After many yearscof using shavings or similar, I have just moved to a straw bed, so what are the best tools to use - any advance on a fork and broom?
Thanks

Otherwise

Visit site
A plastic shavings fork, we have future forks at work but I'm sure most similar plastic forks work the same. So much easier to use than a heavy pitchfork, they're lighter and it's easier to sift the clean from the dirty so you don't take out too much.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Same as windandrain, a 4 prong traditional pitchfork with a long handle, I prefer wood for the handle as it doesn't get as cold as a metal one. Much quicker to use as you don't get the straw all caught in the prongs. Also with straw you sometimes find the top is clean but it's wet underneath as wee can drain down and a pitchfork makes it really easy to skim off the clean top. tTo skip out just one poo, get fork underneath and lift poo with a layer of straw underneath to stop it falling through, tip poo into bucket and drop straw cushion back onto bed.
Broom obviously to sweep up and a shovel to get those last small bits.

TPO

Visit site
Overalls and hat because it stinks!

Straw is for drainage not absorption. "Back in the day" proper stables had sloping floors towards drainage so it was a good thing to have all the urine run to the bottom.

If you're DIY and mucking out before work overalls are a must along with some form of hat (ideally woolly rather than a cap with a ponytail hanging out) as the smell clings to you something awful.

If possible, and not deep littering, I'd lift the bed every morning and throw all the clean stuff up the bankings. Then fully sweep out the floor and leave the bed up for the floor to air/dry before relaying it at night.

It doesnt take long once you get the knack. Also depends how dirty your horse is and if they poo neatly or walk it through the bed. It takes longer mucking out random poo nuggets from straw than shavings as they dont roll to the ground the same way they do with shavings/chop straw when the bedding is thrown up.

Having said all that I don't think anything is more appealing than a huge fluffy golden straw bed.

IcarusGirl

Visit site
I'm another who used wood pellets underneath straw, but only a scoop full sprinkled in the main "wee patch" - it seems to lock the wee together and stop it getting twirled around and spread in the straw.

scats

Visit site
I always just used a fork to muck out a straw bed. I used to fully muck out, apart from banks. Pick up a fork load of straw under the droppings and then just tip the droppings into barrow and chuck the clean straw back in the clean pile/or onto banks. For wet areas, get fork right underneath and flip the straw so wet is on top, then get your fork under the wet and into wheelie, the clean is left and you can chuck that back into the bed.
Quick sweep of floor to finish and lay bed back down. I’ve never got to grips with trying to shovel poo out. Seems to take me for ever and I miss loads.

I hate straw for the smell, but I do occasionally miss mucking one out. All our ponies were kept on straw as kids as it was cheap.

ihatework

Visit site
I love a straw bed, definitely my bedding of choice provided it’s good clean stuff (that’s usually the problem, getting good quality).

2 ways to manage it - full muck out every day, well swept floor and left up during the day. But you will stink with this option. Good 4 pronged fork, broom and shovel.

Or semi deep litter with a base of wood pellets. You get the nice straw bed without the stink. Just skip out every day and, depending on the horse, dig out the wet at routine intervals. Tools same as above but I find a speed skip handy too.

Julia0803

Visit site
I’ve started using wood pellets under straw after picking up the tip here.

I put a 3ft x 4ft square at the front of the stable where the wee pooled ? earlier this week, and it’s worked really well. I’m going to extend it to the wee patch too.

I wanted to ask those who use the same method, how often to you dig it it out?

windand rain

Visit site
I would use a straw gripe .
but if I had to use straw I would give up horses .
Strangely if I had to use shavings I would give up horses I hate that they always look mucky they smell far worse than straw and are really really cold. I am not certain the chopped up bedding would be much better. A few pellets underneath will make sure straw beds dont smell. Luckily I dont have stables they live out 24/7 poo picked daily even in snow much to OHs amusement but it would be a boring world if we all liked the same things

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
You can keep shaving immaculate with the will and the budget .
Yes you can. But most people don't. Being quite finickity about what my horses lay down on, it takes me forever and a day to pick through all the teeny, tiny little bits. I don't have the will, or the time, nor the budget, so I'll keep on with the tried and trusted.

NinjaPony

Visit site
I would say that the big flake shavings are much easier to keep clean than small flake. I’ve noticed a big difference in how much bedding I use, how easy it is to muck out and also the amount of dust that has been reduced.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I love a straw bed, definitely my bedding of choice provided it’s good clean stuff (that’s usually the problem, getting good quality).

2 ways to manage it - full muck out every day, well swept floor and left up during the day. But you will stink with this option. Good 4 pronged fork, broom and shovel.

Or semi deep litter with a base of wood pellets. You get the nice straw bed without the stink. Just skip out every day and, depending on the horse, dig out the wet at routine intervals. Tools same as above but I find a speed skip handy too.

Was going to say a speedskip makes very swift work of skipping out, I use them on all types of bedding.

I only have straw in the foaling box which is now a run-in shelter. Now my foal is older I have wood pellets under the straw and so most days just need a quick whizz round with the skip to remove droppings, and then address any dirty straw and soggy pellets as and when necessary - straw fork + skip make easy work of it.

Lammy

Visit site
I wanted to ask those who use the same method, how often to you dig it it out?

I just put a few handfuls of pellets down where my boy wee’s of a night and he’s not very wet at all in the stable as he prefers to wee in the field. My routine generally is that I do a full muck out and straw top up on Sunday and replace the pellets again on Wednesday. So they last 3-4 days. I don’t mind if the bed gets a little wetter on a Saturday night as I’m taking most of the middle out on my full muck out on Sunday anyway.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Another straw fan here (although them all living out would be my preference, but that’s another story!!)

I used to use Large flake shavings Underneath but have just switched to wood pellets- odd question, but where is best to order from in bulk? Are wood
Pellets for cat litter the same thing?