Mud fever prevention - turnout boots/chaps opinions please

Vicki1986

Visit site
i used to sportabac ones before and thought they were ok - i wasnt particularly astounded by them.

they seemed to be ok as long as i dried them out every night on a radiator if they had gotten wet during the day.

vicster

Visit site
You can get those boots for them my friend has some for her boy and they work pretty well but i used to use the barrier cream i know some people use vaseline too
smile.gif

filly190

Visit site
I use breathable mud fever prevention boots and they work extremely well. The mistake people make when using them, is to hose the mud off and wash them, they just dont dry out overnight if you do that.

I leave mine to dry, because it's only the mud on the outside and brush the mud off in the morning.

Every couple of weeks I pop them in the washing machine to give them a good clean.

They keep the legs and heels perfectly dry and I have used them for the past five years. I have invested in a second pair I love them that much.

shellonabeach

Visit site
After a small bout of mud fever in the same place as your girls but not as severe on one back leg I invested in the Equilibrium close contact chaps.

I bought one set of black boots in size 2 - like an idiot measured front legs in a hurry - ordered boots for back legs only to remeasure and find back legs needed a size bigger!

While I was waiting for the size 3's I used the 2's on his back legs.

I then bought the size 3 in the new and improved blue version so use a set of 4 most days.

I personally prefer the black ones - there are more velcro straps and this is a little tricky but they seem to be easier to put on (less of a stuggle than the blue ones!) but the material is thicker and takes longer to dry.

I'll be honest in that both pairs let some mud in everyday, particularly on the coronet band and heel. The result is that I have to hose the boots clean inside and out when I take them off - and have to dry them at home. The mud that gets in isn't anywhere as near as if he had not had them on though and is easily towel dried off.

Once in the 3 weeks of use they have turned up (am hoping they will have stayed down today!)

We have very muddy clay ground and some parts they literally sink to almost the knee.

One day I will have to try to get round to taking some before and after photos!

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Equilibrium Close Contact chaps have my vote!

Until a few months ago i'd always thought that the chaps were a bad idea - providing a warm, moist environment for the bacteria to flourish.
However, in desperation i bought a pair for my mare, and I now worship them. They hardly let any mud/wet in at all, just a little around the very bottom, and do seem to live up to their claims of being breathable.
She's been mud fever free for 3 months now, and only wears them when it is wet and/or muddy, on the frozen or dry days she goes out naked.

I'm willing to accept that part of it is due to her improved general health - over the summer she was really ill, and her low immune system was allowing her to get bouts of mud fever even in july and august.

But even so, they've made our lives so much better.

zizz

Visit site
spent three years and lots of money buying different products to stop my geldings bad mudfever and the only thing that works for him is NAF mud guard. absolutely wonderful stuff, he now lives out all year with no boots and no scabs even though he thinks he is a hippo and likes to wallow in the deepest mud patches
grin.gif