Mud Fever

Stenners

Visit site
My girl has got mud fever and I’m gutted ?

Her is very wet and she stands in the gateway every afternoon which is so muddy and she’s comes in plastered. I’ve been doing what I now realise I shouldn’t be doing is hosing the legs but not drying them fully. (I feel awful)

Its 2 patches on her hind feet (one on each foot) maybe 1-1.5cm that scabbed. No signs anywhere else. hibiscrubbed Them with a sponge and scabs pretty much just fell off and then I dried it and put some Sudocream on until I find out the best thing to use. I really don’t want her getting anymore of prone to it in the future and I won’t be washing legs anymore!

Any recommendations?

HashRouge

Visit site
I find Sudocreme really effective with my elderly mare, it's always my go to for mud rash.

Mud rash is a bit of a tricky one because what works seems to be slightly different for different horses. With a very small amount of mud rash I would be inclined to keep applying sudocreme until fully healed, then swap to one of the mud barrier powders for prevention. I use the Muddy Buddy one but there are several on the market - you rub them in like talcum powder and they are water resistant so seem to stop the skin getting as damp.

Lots of people will recommend pig oil and sulphur but please make sure you patch test beforehand if you are going to use that - my mare is horrendously allergic to it.

Starzaan

Visit site
You will get a different answer from everyone I’m afraid, but for what it’s worth here is mine-

I have managed rehab yards for a long time, and have always avoided mud fever by washing the legs thoroughly every evening when horses come in (ideally with hot water if you have it available), then iodine sprayed onto the frogs to help prevent thrush, and into a nice deep bed (by deep, I mean a proper bed, six inches depth minimum). Premier Equine drying boots are great if for some reason you don’t want a proper bed. Twice a week, in the morning before they are turned out they get pig oil sprayed all over their legs, from the shoulder down, concentrating on the heels.
Some horses do react to pig oil, so always do a patch test. If they react then there are good products available but they are a lot more expensive.
To treat mud fever I wash and try to get scans off gently with hot water and hibiscrub, and then use silver spray. This generally clears it up within a matter of days.
I did once have a rehab livery who came to me with the worst mud fever my vet and I had ever seen, and we had to soften the scabs by bandaging (full leg bandages, it literally went up to the poor things stomach). We smothered the legs in udder cream with chlorhexidine in it, then cling film, then bandages over the top. Left for two hours, then washed off all the scabs and cream and applied a strong topical cream the vet gave us for such a severe case.
you will honestly get a different answer from every person though. Pick what will work best for you ?

Stenners

Visit site
You will get a different answer from everyone I’m afraid, but for what it’s worth here is mine-

I have managed rehab yards for a long time, and have always avoided mud fever by washing the legs thoroughly every evening when horses come in (ideally with hot water if you have it available), then iodine sprayed onto the frogs to help prevent thrush, and into a nice deep bed (by deep, I mean a proper bed, six inches depth minimum). Premier Equine drying boots are great if for some reason you don’t want a proper bed. Twice a week, in the morning before they are turned out they get pig oil sprayed all over their legs, from the shoulder down, concentrating on the heels.
Some horses do react to pig oil, so always do a patch test. If they react then there are good products available but they are a lot more expensive.
To treat mud fever I wash and try to get scans off gently with hot water and hibiscrub, and then use silver spray. This generally clears it up within a matter of days.
I did once have a rehab livery who came to me with the worst mud fever my vet and I had ever seen, and we had to soften the scabs by bandaging (full leg bandages, it literally went up to the poor things stomach). We smothered the legs in udder cream with chlorhexidine in it, then cling film, then bandages over the top. Left for two hours, then washed off all the scabs and cream and applied a strong topical cream the vet gave us for such a severe case.
you will honestly get a different answer from every person though. Pick what will work best for you ?
Thank you! If they ge tit once is it likely to return year after year? I really hope not! Her scabs are now gone but it’s just managing it now!

Starzaan

Visit site
Thank you! If they ge tit once is it likely to return year after year? I really hope not! Her scabs are now gone but it’s just managing it now!
The chap who came to me with such bad mud fever ended up being a full livery with me for the next six years, and never had it again after that. I think it really depends on the horse and working out the best management for each one. That being said, the above has worked for me with hundreds of horses ?

meleeka

Visit site
Unfortunately the bacteria lives in the soil so you will have to be vigilant. My old pony only ever got it once though as I was aware of the risk and always looking for it.

Stenners

Visit site
Unfortunately the bacteria lives in the soil so you will have to be vigilant. My old pony only ever got it once though as I was aware of the risk and always looking for it.
How did you treat it when he did have it? I’m such a worrier and really stressing about it!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
One of mine had terrible mud fever last winter. Lincoln muddy buddy cure cream is excellent for treating it, just follow directions on the pot. He hasn't had a reoccurrence.

milliepops

Visit site
I’ve literally just ordered the normal muddy buddy cream, is this similar?
I think that's the barrier cream, the kure one helps soften and remove the scabs. I smeared it on overnight and they mostly plopped off.
Its said that getting the scabs off leaves no grotty places that the bugs can multiply. No picking tho! The muddy buddy stuff gets them off easily.

Stenners

Visit site
I think that's the barrier cream, the kure one helps soften and remove the scabs. I smeared it on overnight and they mostly plopped off.
Its said that getting the scabs off leaves no grotty places that the bugs can multiply. No picking tho! The muddy buddy stuff gets them off easily.
Oh pants! Maybe I ordered the wrong one! Not cheap!

Stenners

Visit site
I've now ordered Muddy Buddy Kure cream and powder and will hope for the best! In the mean time i'm using hibi scrub and sucocream!

Ellietotz

Visit site
Second Heel to Hoof for scabs. For prevention, I spray on pig oil once a week when legs are clean and dry and don't touch, wash or brush at all until any mud on the legs has dried.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use silver spray and the mud shield powder I don't like barrier cream as it just builds up on the scabs and the area can't breathe and I find it makes it worse.

I would also try and get her in earlier so she is not stood in the gateway for ages.

Stenners

Visit site
I use silver spray and the mud shield powder I don't like barrier cream as it just builds up on the scabs and the area can't breathe and I find it makes it worse.

I would also try and get her in earlier so she is not stood in the gateway for ages.
She's one of the first to come in but both her and her field mate wander up the the gate as soon as they see anyone so if it's not us then she's just stood there until we arrive but she's usually in by 4/4.30 each day.

flying_high

Visit site
Don't use hibiscub it's too harsh for the skin I wouldn't wash it with anything.

Having had a number of horses react to it, I dont use it either. It is very harsh and drying to the skin.

I would use maleseb / coatex medicated shampoo (for dogs), or a mild soap that is skin pH friendly.

Griffin

Visit site
Another Mud Buddy fan here. I use the shampoo if the legs are very muddy and then the powder when they are dry.

Honey Heel from Red Horse is good for treating sore bits if your horse is unfortunate enough to develop them.

jenni999

Visit site
Aromaheel from Aromesse. You layer it on every day, keep putting it on and then about every 3 days wipe it off with a towel or cotton wool, have a quick look at the sore patches and put more on. You will end up with lovely pink skin and the hair will start growing back. If you layer it enough, you can lead through mud without it penetrating. Brilliant stuff.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have written this down a few times before, but this was my experience. I had a TBx mare that was very, very susceptible to mud fever. I used to put vaseline on her heels every morning before turn out and if she had an episode used Equine America ointment which cleared it up quickly.

Then I changed her feed to a feed balancer and after a while I realised that she hadn't had any mud fever for a long time, and she never did have mud fever again while I had her. I bought my present horse as a 2 year old and he had mud fever, in fact it was marked on his vetting certificate as there was some on his stomach. He went on to the same feed and his went away.

I have changed feeds over the years, but for ages and ages he has been on ProBalance supplement which, for those with the knowledge, is very rich in certain nutrients for barefoot horses. Now, he is no longer barefoot, but he is still receiving the ProBalance and I was thinking this morning that he stands in mud in the day time and has filthy dirty legs, but still no mud fever.

milliepops

Visit site
my chap had rainscald to go with his mud fever on arrival, and i would agree that getting some good spec grub in long-term has improved his skin, feet and coat quite a lot. he seems more robust in that way now.
that said, luck and circumstances do play a big part.

Starzaan

Visit site
The thing to remember with hibiscrub is that it’s perfect for the initial clean, as it’s so strong. However, it isn’t suitable for daily cleaning, even if very diluted.

flying_high

Visit site
I have written this down a few times before, but this was my experience. I had a TBx mare that was very, very susceptible to mud fever. I used to put vaseline on her heels every morning before turn out and if she had an episode used Equine America ointment which cleared it up quickly.

Then I changed her feed to a feed balancer and after a while I realised that she hadn't had any mud fever for a long time, and she never did have mud fever again while I had her. I bought my present horse as a 2 year old and he had mud fever, in fact it was marked on his vetting certificate as there was some on his stomach. He went on to the same feed and his went away.

I have changed feeds over the years, but for ages and ages he has been on ProBalance supplement which, for those with the knowledge, is very rich in certain nutrients for barefoot horses. Now, he is no longer barefoot, but he is still receiving the ProBalance and I was thinking this morning that he stands in mud in the day time and has filthy dirty legs, but still no mud fever.

I think there is decent supporting evidence that feeding low sugar / low starch / low inflammatory diet, and ensuring access to good vitamins and minerals (especially zinc and copper, and essential amino acids) does make horses less susceptible to mud fever.