Mums! Riding after episiotomy?

serenityjane

Visit site
Took me about a week to sit comfortably on a chair with a pillow, riding would be a nightmare! Having said that, although at the time (26 years ago) it seemed to take yonks to feel more comfortable-everything was back to normal (or as much as it was ever going to be) after 6 weeks. Salt baths, pelvic floor excercises and plenty of comfortable excercise will help healing.

Farma

Visit site
It's been 2.5 weeks and I can't say I can sit comfortably yet!! Have a special pillow which still isn't that helpful :(
Can't even imagine trying to ride yet but was thinking around 6 weeks!

Tobiano

Visit site
This is not very helpful as I gave up riding for 25 years, during which time I had my children - but when I started again 10 years after a nasty tear and extensive needlework, I didn't have any problems!

Moomin1

Visit site
Not an episiotomy but I had two second degree tears and countless first. I had a fair few stitches for the second degree tears. To be honest I didn't find it too bad getting back in the saddle two weeks after, though I only stayed on for 15mins. I did find the scar tissue a bit uncomfortable months later though ��

Pilib

Visit site
I had an episiotomy and first and second degree tears. We back riding in 4 weeks. Would have felt ok getting on after 2 weeks I think but jet didn't get time!
I found everything healed really quickly and didn't have much discomfort. X

wills_91

Visit site
3rd degree tear 3 layers of stitches, 6 months before I felt safe enough to ride. 4 years on I still get a little tender scar tissue at time. Babies, who'd have them!

Starbucks

Visit site
2 week and felt fine. My main problem was massive bouncing boobs!!!! They took some keeping under control. But no real pain down below.

alainax

Visit site
I had tear and episiotomy, 3rd degree iirc. Internal stitches in the muscle etc. It went off to one side so like across to my butt cheek. The external stitches came away at the far end and I had a hole about the size of a grape. Couldn't sit properly for around 3 weeks.

But... It healed, and healed well. I was riding again at 5.5 weeks ( was so happy to be riding less than 6 weeks hence the .5!). Walk trot and canter on a big moving Friesian, wasn't at all uncomfortable and never had any problems since. This was 2015 so not long ago :)

We are all so different when it comes to healing. You really just have to listen to your own body. Around the 10 day mark is was in so much pain I cried often and could barely move. At 2 weeks I could sit for short periods if sitting on one leg. When it healed fully not long later, it was absolutely fine.

BigPony

Visit site
I had a sit on and a little walk within 3 weeks and went on a 1/2 hr ish walk hack a week or so later. This was fine but I rode again the next day for longer which was a bit uncomfortable and probably would have been better not to. It would have been fine had I not been breastfeeding and could have had better painkillers :D

claracanter

Visit site
I had one many years ago and I wasn't back into riding then so can't really help you with a time scale. What I would say helped though, if you can bare it, was to put some ice down there.

TickyTavey

Visit site
I was back on board 2 weeks after but only mooching about in walk. I think, when I first got back in saddle, I was more bothered by lack of bladder control when riding than the episiotomy stitches. Don't remember riding being especially more sore than general moving around - bending for stuff wasn't fun, def don't want to be squatting down or lifting things immediately after.

Visit site
I'm in awe of the active mums out there! It's taken me 7 months to back my horse again after a difficult birth. (Although giving birth is not the sole reason for waiting all this time) Episiotomy scars not causing a problem so far but seriously need to work on my hip flexibility again!

TickyTavey

Visit site
At 36 weeks pregnant i wish i hadn't opened this thread!!!
Oh gosh, sorry. It's funny thing, this birthing/baby business. As another poster above says, it is totally worth it and not in any way you can really appreciate beforehand (well I couldn't anyway). And as this thread demonstrates, completely the luck of the draw as to what kind of birth you'll have and how quickly you'll be back on your feet/in a saddle. One thing for sure is that it's not a race and I think, to generalise greatly, it can be hard for 'horsey' people to be kind to their bodies (we're used to being über paranoid about our ponies' health, but sometimes not so good at looking after ourselves!). We wouldn't dream of hopping on a recently foaled mare and just cracking on! Congratulations btw!

stilltrying

Visit site
Oh gosh, sorry. It's funny thing, this birthing/baby business. As another poster above says, it is totally worth it and not in any way you can really appreciate beforehand (well I couldn't anyway). And as this thread demonstrates, completely the luck of the draw as to what kind of birth you'll have and how quickly you'll be back on your feet/in a saddle. One thing for sure is that it's not a race and I think, to generalise greatly, it can be hard for 'horsey' people to be kind to their bodies (we're used to being über paranoid about our ponies' health, but sometimes not so good at looking after ourselves!). We wouldn't dream of hopping on a recently foaled mare and just cracking on! Congratulations btw!

Haha, thanks! I watched 1 born last night as well, again, big mistake! In my mind i'm allowing myself 2 months to recover / make life adjustments, so anything less than that will be a bonus. I've also done a really stupid thing and offered to buy a 3yo (subject to vetting this fri) so i will potentially have 2 babies to deal with! You only live once! : )

Farma

Visit site
I want children but I also have a pathological fear of childbirth.

This has not helped.

Sorry ladies!!!! I have crossed my legs in sympathy for you!

So did I having watched my sisters have a difficult time, I have left it late as I was frightened but I actually had the most awful time giving birth but can say I wasn't frightened at all when it actually happened, I was calm the whole time ...very weird!
I was there a week and watched so many women go in and out having lovely easy births and leaving the same day so some people have it easy!
Now I have my gorgeous baby I can definitely say it's well worth it and I'm glad I braved it! :)

alainax

Visit site
So did I having watched my sisters have a difficult time, I have left it late as I was frightened but I actually had the most awful time giving birth but can say I wasn't frightened at all when it actually happened, I was calm the whole time ...very weird!
I was there a week and watched so many women go in and out having lovely easy births and leaving the same day so some people have it easy!
Now I have my gorgeous baby I can definitely say it's well worth it and I'm glad I braved it! :)

Yes I agree with this. My labour was incredibly long, and baby was born sunny side up! But when you are there giving birth, you are kinda in the zone! Horsey girls are tough, like when you fall off, get kicked, stepped on etc - we tend to just growl rather than scream and cry - same in child birth!

The scariest part is thinking about it before hand, when you are there - you just get on with it :) ( and thinking about it afterwards is scary too :p )

Toffee44

Visit site
Listen to your body.

I would say at least 2 weeks before even attempting after you have had any trauma down there. Also be brave and have a look down there. If bruising is evident then I suggest not getting onboard.

Do your pelvic floor exercises as well.

Those still pregnant look into perineal massage evidence is now out there to support it. I know it sounds weird but softening those muscles are proving to reduce tear rates. In your birthing plans think about your perineum, massage, warm packs at delivery, waterbirth and hypnobirthing all are beginning to show reduced tearing rates.

X

Farma

Visit site
Listen to your body.

I would say at least 2 weeks before even attempting after you have had any trauma down there. Also be brave and have a look down there. If bruising is evident then I suggest not getting onboard.

Do your pelvic floor exercises as well.

Those still pregnant look into perineal massage evidence is now out there to support it. I know it sounds weird but softening those muscles are proving to reduce tear rates. In your birthing plans think about your perineum, massage, warm packs at delivery, waterbirth and hypnobirthing all are beginning to show reduced tearing rates.

X

I'm way too scared to look yet! I did all those hypnobirthing classes and was aiming for the water birth, but as soon as I had to be induced everything choice wise was taken away and went all a bit wrong, shame as I felt prepared for a nice calm water birth! I guess you have to just concentrate on getting baby here safely but that would have been nice!
I will say that 6.5 hours of full on contractions were perfectly manageable with the breathing techniques I had learnt so agree it's def worth looking into!

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Think positively folks. I escaped well. :) Hypnobirthing with the 2nd was great.

Perineum massage benefits immensely. I didn't tear with either of mine, nor have a scratch. Back riding within 8 days with the 1st and did a walk&trot test 6 weeks after birth. I was determined to show that having baby wasn't going to stop me.

stilltrying

Visit site
Think positively folks. I escaped well. :) Hypnobirthing with the 2nd was great.

Perineum massage benefits immensely. I didn't tear with either of mine, nor have a scratch. Back riding within 8 days with the 1st and did a walk&trot test 6 weeks after birth. I was determined to show that having baby wasn't going to stop me.

That's really good to know : ) Positive stories are good!! Am trying the massage, but everything is surprisingly...erm...strong. Sorry if that's TMI, but guess that's what a lifetime of riding does for you!