Musto Jackets - any good?

TWMD

Visit site
Does anyone have any experiences with Musto jackets? Are they warm/waterproof?

Alternatively, any other recommendations for a good winter coat?

lar

Visit site
I've no idea what they are like these days but I still have a Musto coat that I bought from Derby House when they were still in their little shop in Parbold - so it must easily be 15 or more years old. It could do with reproofing but it's still a good coat and comes out every winter.

Harriett13

New User
Visit site
Musto clothes are brilliant - virtually the only make that is actually waterproof and does what it says on the tin. I have a rather old long riding coat which ticks every box and is still going strong. I have their snug jodhpurs too and i've never had cold legs in them - worth every penny x

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I bought one last year, it has a thin fleece lining and is snug in the winter and so far it has stood up to every downpour it's been subjected to. Got it on sale at Hope Valley although if you go to Musto direct they sometimes have some good deals.

mini_b

Visit site
I’m onto my 4th musto blouson. As above, more than showerproof (yes to wet bum) but really practical. Super warm, can wear a T-shirt underneath and be super toasty, lovely fleece lining, internal zip pocket.
No wind leaking at seams etc. I’ve had them from age of 8/9 until now (30’s) for riding. They are brilliant.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I bought a Musto Long canter last year and the zip is very weak and it broke in a few months. It is waterproof though and I’m hoping I can get the zip replaced meanwhile I use the outer poppers to do it up.

Roxylola

Visit site
TK Maxx do often get the Musto sailing wear in at this time of year - well worth a look.
Yep, had a rising one for years, washed well always looked smart, from either Derby House at the big shop they had for a bit or Fearn's farm lasted at least 15 years of heavy wear and washing. Eventually it sort of disintegrated and I did bin it but I've replace is with a blouson which is proving a good buy up to now (3 years in)

huskydamage

Visit site
I'm on my second musto snug, I love it wear it pretty much everyday in winter. All the pockets zip up so you don't loose stuff. Mines black and smart enough that it doubles as a hunt/comp jacket for me on crappy weather events/soggy meets. Its warm and 'shower proof' but you will get wet in a torrential down pour.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
bucking the trend but I have a musto tweed which is fabulous :D it was a rather spendy xmas present a few years ago but is great in wind, rain and cold.

J&S

Visit site
Yes, love my Musto jacket, warm and cosy but breathable, light and water poof. I bought it in an after Christmas sale at least three, if not four years ago and it is still in good condition despite constant winter wear. I had to have a new zip put in, the people who wash/mend my rugs did this and also re-proofed it.

Lady Jane

Visit site
The fabric and design is great (does what it says on the tin depending which style you choose) but I don't think the zips are the quality they used to be. I do wash with the appropriate fabric proofer and find they maintain the original level of water proof for a few years. I must admit I am a zip destroyer so could say that about many brands - I think they all are going or cheaper zips. And I like the bright colours which means they get washed alot

Griffin

Visit site
I am a Musto fan too! I have still got a Musto Snug Rider that I was bought for Christmas 20 years ago (I wear it in the garden) and it's still warm and waterproof. I have also got some of their newer coats and I just love them.

Myloubylou

Visit site
The fabric and design is great (does what it says on the tin depending which style you choose) but I don't think the zips are the quality they used to be. I do wash with the appropriate fabric proofer and find they maintain the original level of water proof for a few years. I must admit I am a zip destroyer so could say that about many brands - I think they all are going or cheaper zips. And I like the bright colours which means they get washed alot

what water proofer do you use out of interest?

teacups

Visit site
I bought a Musto Long canter last year and the zip is very weak and it broke in a few months. It is waterproof though and I’m hoping I can get the zip replaced meanwhile I use the outer poppers to do it up.

Interesting, I bought one too last year. It's not had much use yet as I am still wearing out the old battered coat first and saving this one for when I want to look a bit smart...but the zip seems weak and I think it will break soon.

ETA Other than that, it's a great coat OP - I got mine from TK Maxx.

pansymouse

Visit site
Both my Mustos are over 15 years old and still going strong. When they begin to leak I get my rug lady to reproof them and off they go again. If they still did the 3/4 length riding coat I've got I'd buy another in a heartbeat - it's called a Safe Rider and is bright yellow with reflective markings - a perfect warm and safe winter coat.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
It seems I will disagree as I have had no luck with my Musto jacket :(

I bought a Musto riding last September, possibly the BR1 canter? it was about £150 reduced from £200. It was great for about 6 months but then started leaking and wasn't waterproof. Hadn't been washed prior to this. It is blue and stains so easily, even a bit of mud can stain it. Wouldn't recommend one of those.

Yet my OH has a Musto tweed jacket and its excellent, might be because its gore-tex.

eggs

Visit site
I have got Musto jackets that are more than 25 years old and still going strong - a big fan here.

Do not wash the jackets in biological powder though as this destroys the water proofing.