My first Dog thread!

Fiona

Visit site
Good luck OP, he sounds lovely.....

Do you have a suitable large garden for him to play in, if it turns out most of his walks will be on lead??

Or a local enclosed dog park/play area.

Fiona

LaurenBay

Visit site
Fabulous update.

Get him a good harness op if he's going on an extendable.

Harness is on the list, I am going to take him with me to buy as I have no idea what size he would need as he is quite overweight currently. I was quite worried he would slip the collar on our walk.

Fiona, medium sized garden. We do have a couple of fenced areas I can go in though. Hopefully with a bit of training I will be able to have him off lead. Right now til he knows me better I don't want to risk letting him off.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I walk both mine on flexis with flat collars. A boink on the neck and a boink on the shoulders/under the leg would be all the same to a breed the size and strength of a Beagle, IMO. The OP says that the dog isn't running out to the end of the line anyway/is waiting for her, so don't see why this is an issue?

JFTDWS

Visit site
Sounds really positive - great news! Be good for the wee lad to have a dog in his life too - animals are good education for kids!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
He sounds lovely, a great first dog. I've dropped a flexi when wearing gloves, they can scare dogs clattering behind them and chasing them lol if they aren't locked off but I have used them and so do plenty of others.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
oh dear, i use a flexi on my little terrier and its attached to his collar!!!!!! i sometimes have to keep him on the lead if i am in a busy area as he loves people and other dogs , it gives him a bit of freedom to run and means i can stop him from bothering people.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
That'll teach me to reply in haste lol!

It's horses for courses, if your dog pulls or drags out to the end of the line, or is small and delicate and keeps boinking itself, then a flexi is probably not the tool to use with a collar OR a harness. It's not a tool to teach recall or prevent pulling.
In this instance, a rotund beagle with, I imagine, a not unsubstantial neck, who is turning around and waiting for the handler, is not likely to come to much harm with a flat collar on a flexi.
To be honest harnesses can cause as much damage as collars if the dog runs out to the end of the line hard enough, I'd rather people taught a command like 'easy' or 'steady' or a static command like a sit or a down to prevent it from happening in the first place.

Anyway OP, sounds very positive :)

LaurenBay

Visit site
What lead would you suggest CC?

He pulled like a tank for the first few minutes, but I guess that was the initial excitement of leaving the House and actually getting out and about. He did calm down super quick and didn't pull once after.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
If a flexi is working for you, use it, most dogs, including my own, pull for the first wee while on a walk. Something like a half check/martingale collar might give you more control. I've a bit of a lead fetish so have something for all seasons ;)

If you want to prevent pulling you need to train that as a separate exercise with a comfy leather or double ended training lead.

3Beasties

Visit site
I really hope it works out for you both, it sounds like he will have landed on his feet if he can stay with you!
Re. Recall - could you take some low fat treats (or even kibble from his meal) and encourage him back to you with that? I would think that once he's on a diet training with food will be the way to jos heart!

LaurenBay

Visit site
Hi all,

Just thought I'd update as we have had Ralph since Friday.

He settled in very quick, ran around everywhere sniffing and then went to sleep. He has been very good with G and OH is quite smitten with him. The first 2 nights were not too good, he slept on the landing outside the bedroom doors, he cried, when that didn't work he barked and then started to scratch at the doors. We ignored the behaviour and after about an hour he gave up and went to sleep. Since then he has slept perfectly fine on the landing and I've not heard a peep from him.

We started clicker training yesterday, he can now sit and stay and ignore a treat in front of him until I call him. Still having issues with trying to train him not to jump on the sofas but that is a work in progress.

He is loving his walks, he no longer pulls at all, I guess the novelty has worn off as he goes on 3 walks a day. Yesterday we let him off the lead for the first time, we were in an enclosed area so I felt safe enough to do so. OH and G played football and Ralph had a great time chasing the ball and really let off some steam. We called him and we were ignored, so we started walking away from him and then called him and he came straight to me. unfortunately I didn't have a treat on me, but I am going to do some recall training with treats also.

The only trouble we have is meal times, he is very stubborn and fussy. From what I gather his old owner used to give him chicken and ham mixed in with his food so that he would eat it. He shows zero interest in his food, so I picked it up and put it back down at the next meal time. This went on for 2 days. We went to a pet shop and asked advice, they told us the food we were feeding (pedigree diet) wasn't great anyway so recommended we switch. So we are trying a new food, he is more interested in this, but only if we put a dog gravy on it. Any advice here please?

We took him to be weighed, he is about 8-9kg overweight, we will take him again over the xmas period to see if he has lost anything.

I have concerns that he will not be happy when me and OH are both out, we left him for an hour on Sunday whilst we did the food shop and we could hear him barking from the car. When we returned we sat in the car for 5 minutes and couldn't hear anything. So I hope he settled quickly. I'd love to set up some kind of camera though if anyone has any recommendations? He didn't chew anything though so I was happy with this!

Overall we are very very happy with him, he has the sweetest and most gentle nature and is a pleasure to be around and take on walks. We also took him to the pub with us on Saturday afternoon, he was super!

So everyone meet Ralphy - He doesn't actually look too chubby in these pics!

Attachments

• ralph 1.jpg
    ralph 1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 26
  • Ralph 2.jpg
    Ralph 2.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 26

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
man, he is cute! fussy dogs are the pits (I had one) and with that dog, he just hated kibble-was fine on tinned or RAW. I know people say they wont starve themselves but my dog went 4 days with not eating and I wasnt prepared to do that to him-mind you, he couldnt afford to lose the weight either.

LaurenBay

Visit site
The man in the shop said just keep taking his food away as he won't starve. But I was worried after 2 days of not eating. what raw food did you feed?

Fiona

Visit site
I'm sure a little bit of dog gravy isn't the end of the world, or a few morsels of your dinner leftovers...

Definitely treat profusely with any recall successes, it's the only way to do it. Really nice high value treats like chicken or cheese.

He looks gorgeous, congratulations on your new baby x x

Fiona

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I started him off with Nature's Menu but he was a big dog (33kg) and it wasnt cheap. I am not anti-RAW but feel I have to point out that there is small risk to your partners kid if you feed your dog RAW so if you go that route, do your research and go with RAW suppliers who screen for the more common pathogens.

Tinned food is a bit of a pain but has improved immensley in quality over the last few years-Zooplus in particualr ha a good range of decent wet food and they also have great dog beds etc

re treats and recall-with a dog with a hunting drive no amount of high value sausage will win over his nose. Thats not to say dont treat but don't rely on it long term. I messed up my retriever's recall early on-it took a dedicated program of whistle training/conditioning and reward to get it to 100% and only the first bit of it was using food (in the meantime hot dog chopped up is a good, if messy one).

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Good news!

If he's got weight to lose then I wouldn't worry about lifting the food for a few days. I also personally wouldn't 'treat' train on top of that, but use an allowance from his daily quota of kibble for training and bonding, but can understand that it's not for everyone. Canids can go for prolonged dry periods and then gorge themselves to fill up again, so it's normal for them to run off a reserve for a while. If you give caviar in training then he's not any more likely to tolerate gruel at home.
When I got another dog a few months ago all I did at first was walk him and feed him out of my pockets on those walks. Me = nice, lol.
You can also throw water in with the kibble to make it a bit more palatable.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my lurcher was always fussy and also had a delicate stomach so i fed james wellbeloved turkey and rice kibble with something nice on top and i tried to vary it to keep her interested.., half a pouch of meat,tuna in water,pilchards. cooked chicken and she used to eat most of her food, if she didnt i took it up as have a collie cross who is a dustbin so she would have got fatter. my lurcher needed to keep the weight on , your new boy looks lovely and sounds like he is good natured and has fitted in well already...you may find off lead will not be an option as he is a hunting dog but if you have a long line he will still be able to run about....good luck

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Luna can go a few days only picking at her food, apparently it’s not uncommon in Huskies, so I wouldn’t worry too much as he’s not exactly wasting away.

Aled was obese when we got him, and like CC, if we were doing some training, or giving him treats in a kong or something, it came out of his daily allowance of food. The only real “treat” he gets is a blob of peanut butter with his tablets in twice a day.

LaurenBay

Visit site
So now he just licks the gravy off the top and leaves the rest! I will try to cook some chicken and mix that in later. He already looks to have slimmed down some. Don't know if that is the regular exercise or the not eating though. On yesterdays walk he saw a squirrel and he did try and chase it (until it went in the trees) then he still continued to follow it. I called him back and he came straight to me. So I was pretty happy with that. He slept through the night again yesterday which was lovely. 3 nights in a row, so think he is now settled.

He didn't eat again yesterday.