My horse ate a whole packet of Strong Mints in one go on Saturday night.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
They were a whole packet minus one mint that I had just given her. I’d stupidly left the packet in the manger outside the stable and she was tied outside but I thought she was tied up shorter than she was. She took them out of the manager whilst I changed her rug and by the time I’d got round to the front end to untie her after doing all the straps up she was making a chewing motion and I looked in dismay to find the mints had disappeared from the manager where I had left them. I opened her mouth but couldn’t see anything.

I didn’t hear her chew them so I assumed she would have swallowed the packet but thinking about that, that would have been impossible as the packet is thick and long and she would have choked. It was a most surreal moment. She must have necked them in the few seconds it took me to do the breast straps, neck straps, surcingle straps and pulled her tail out of the fillet string!! It still feels like a nightmare!

I’ve pulled all my crap out of the manger (its one of those half circle types that you can have in or outside the stable), stripped the hay out of the bucket of hay below the manger and checked all my pockets (in case I didn’t leave them in the manager and I am going mad) but I can’t find them. I have done this every night since Saturday!

She has been absolutely fine thank goodness but I keep thinking of all that foil in her stomach somewhere. I can’t see anything in her poos but obviously can’t check her paddock as its pitch black when I get there after work!

Visit site
The Hocamaffe always managed to smuggle packets of mints out of my jacket pockets and eat them - wrapper included. Not quite sure if that wohld have shown up on a dope test but hey ho! It's never done him any harm lol!

Equine_Dream

Visit site
Think op is worrying about the packaging rather than quantity of mints. My cat ate part of a dishcloth and worried he’d get a blockage but must have passed it.

This! OP I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry. A bit of paper packaging is unlikely to cause a problem. Just keep an eye on her for the next few days, but I'm sure she will be fine x

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Think op is worrying about the packaging rather than quantity of mints. My cat ate part of a dishcloth and worried he’d get a blockage but must have passed it.
Thank you! Yes I don't care about quantity it was the wrapping I was concerned about, sorry I thought that was clear in the OP.

That's why I said about the foil in her stomach. :)

SEL

Visit site
I had blue stringy plastic in poo once. Must have been in hay or haylage and I didn't spot it loading the nets.

My friend's welshie once scoffed the plastic top of a bottle I had on the side of the stable. I never told her, but worried for days!

They were both fine and I'm sure yours will be too.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I had blue stringy plastic in poo once. Must have been in hay or haylage and I didn't spot it loading the nets.

My friend's welshie once scoffed the plastic top of a bottle I had on the side of the stable. I never told her, but worried for days!

They were both fine and I'm sure yours will be too.
I hate this net wrap that they put around the round bales of hay now. I'm sure its caused huge problems with horses needing surgery to remove it.
I googled it and it says that the net wrap costs two to three times as much per bale as twine, but it reduces harvest and storage loss and reduces the time needed to bale.

Apparently it only needs a couple of turns in the baler compared with 15 to 30 for twine bales, therefore a farmer can make 30% more bales per hour using net wrap saving both time and reducing fuel and equipment wear.

Petalpoos

Visit site
Ha ha! Love it. As an aside, my daughter in law's (large) dog ate a whole pack of xylitol based sugar-free gum. Several thousand dollars and a few life or death moments later he came through, but it shows that it is not necessarily the case that we can eat something and be OK and expect it to be the same for other animals.

Nicnac

Visit site
Mine have snaffled numerous packs of wrapped polos over the years and never had an issue yet. Greedy little beggars aren't they and quick!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Skylla ate a whole bit of black plastic haylage wrapping once, and although must have had a terrible night passing it, she was miraculously fine!

HEM

Visit site
My cousin is a hairdresser and her shar pei ate a whole packet of those tiny elastic hair bands! He was pooping them for over a week but it didn't seem to bother him at all!

I am sure she will be fine! As others have said the paper surely will disintegrate

JJS

Visit site
My cat ate the plastic wrapper from a Pepperami as a kitten (she snaffled it off the side before I binned it). I was certain she couldn’t have eaten it and that it must have fallen onto the floor and be hiding somewhere, but lo and behold she vomited it up - still whole - the following morning. Thankfully she was no worse for wear, but I felt like a terrible cat mum for weeks!

Rosemary28

Visit site
P once pulled a button off my Mum's coat. We have no idea if he actually ate it or just dropped it though. He also tried to eat my zip once. He's a monster though, he will try to eat anything...