My horse is killing the yard chickens

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Regardless of what your opinions are on culling if the OP or the owner don't get their act together and take some responsibility for the birds then they risk having them all culled by DEFRA and all the captive birds within a 3 kilometre radius of them if bird flu gets in to the flock. Bird flu hasn't gone away, it's out there and will be back again at some point, it's how it is now and if you have captive birds of any species you have to have housing and covered runs for them for when it does. The knock on effect of not having the facilities in place (sheds and covered runs) affects lots of others.

twiggy2

Visit site
Regardless of what your opinions are on culling if the OP or the owner don't get their act together and take some responsibility for the birds then they risk having them all culled by DEFRA and all the captive birds within a 3 kilometre radius of them if bird flu gets in to the flock. Bird flu hasn't gone away, it's out there and will be back again at some point, it's how it is now and if you have captive birds of any species you have to have housing and covered runs for them for when it does. The knock on effect of not having the facilities in place (sheds and covered runs) affects lots of others.
Restrictions were lifted in the 15th May 21, it wasn't the first outbreak and like you say there will most likely be more but there is no reason for people to panic, it may be years before an outbreak and the situation may have changed by then anyway. Of the chickens roost on a parn then just a netted curtain on open sides of the barn are enough.
OP i have hens and cock birds and ducks and turkeys in your shoes I would get rid of the cockerals (I take them in from homes that can't keep them and we do get eat them, I get them via the breeder I buy my hens from, it may be worth contacting a local breeder to see if they can help)
Catch them when they settle for the night its much easier.
As for the hens see if people want a few and keep just a dozen or so on the place, some horses do chase and kill, I had a mare that chased dogs and killed snakes when in the field but when being handled or ridden or on the yard she was fine with all animals.
Get her checked if its playing on your mind but honestly try not to worry.
Pm if j can help in any way.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

My point (above) which seems to have been missed is that DEFRA won't care who the poultry belong to, they *will* care who has day-to-day responsibility for them. If they are not being adequately cared for and someone reports to RSPCA, DEFRA will come out and check and it *will* be OP who is held to account. You can't just say 'they are not mine'.
I, too, am amazed the they don't disappear daily to the fox. Foxes really don't just hunt at night.

Mule

Visit site
. They breed. Some have been here for ages. Bumble is probably 7 years old. He’s the big cock. Yard owner is retired. He would definitely not spend money on a fox proof free range run. And I certainly can’t. I didn’t earn a penny last year in lock down. I’ll have to look at a fence to go around her field. Three fatalities in three months. So I know something will have to be done. I’ll
Look on internet at a cheap fencing that’s electrified. I can’t do any more
Try Ali Express. Free delivery and dirt cheap

I'm Dun

Visit site
My point (above) which seems to have been missed is that DEFRA won't care who the poultry belong to, they *will* care who has day-to-day responsibility for them. If they are not being adequately cared for and someone reports to RSPCA, DEFRA will come out and check and it *will* be OP who is held to account. You can't just say 'they are not mine'.
I, too, am amazed the they don't disappear daily to the fox. Foxes really don't just hunt at night.

Mine free range from first to last thing and I've not lost any to foxes in daylight. I know we have a fox, but it takes easy pickings on a night.

teacups

Visit site

Most people in our village did not bother to net or keep them in: they didn’t care. None got into trouble over it. They laughed at the people who did comply.

Has DEFRA actually checked any private small poultry keepers?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Most people in our village did not bother to net or keep them in: they didn’t care. None got into trouble over it. They laughed at the people who did comply.

They will if someone reports them. They probably don't know about them, otherwise, as small flocks don't need to be registered.

Labaire

Visit site

This makes me insanely cross. Why can’t people realise that if they keep stock-whether it’s chickens or alpacas-that they must obey the law in order to keep the national flock/herd safe.