My hound kicked: owner refuses to pay

JillA

Visit site
Ah right, I understand, so the owner of the horse isn't in any way responsible for the damage that it causes to someone who's legally using a Public Right of Way and across his land?

Attaching blame isn't the point, the point is one of responsibility and the owner of the horse, I'd have thought would be responsible in a civil manner to restore the dog owner to their previous state and before they entered the land where they had a legal right to be. His horse kicked a dog and injured it, occasioning damage and a bill for £107. QED I'd have thought. No?

Alec.

No. You have to use the law as a basis, as I said earlier it isn't the same as a moral standpoint, that is up to the individual but that goes over and above the legal points

paddy555

Visit site
Exactly. It's a matter for the insurance company and tbh it is perfectly standard for them not to pay out unless and until they have to.

I.

exactly. This chap did what I would have done and asked advice from NFU. He could have sorted it on his own but what if he had paid the small bill expecting the matter to end and then the dog suffered a delayed injury or alternatively the owner got greedy (not meaning you OP) he could have been left with never ending bills which may or may not have been his responsibility.

This seems to be a never ending saga with the public having rights of way on footpaths and farmers/horse owners having rights to turn their animals out into the field the paths cross. Unless the paths are fenced the potential danger will always be there. I have been with horses for 50 years and would not walk across a field with strange horses in it especially youngsters. I would also be very reticent about walking across fields with cattle even though I have worked with and kept my own cattle.
I don't know what the solution to this problem as as both sides seem to have equal rights.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
This was the latest offering left by the public enjoying the footpath, another gift was left in a different field, way off the footpath. That offering was human crap and toilet paper.

18720831_10155136204636488_1329901558_o_zps7bgwzg6u.jpg

{97702}

Visit site
There are a number of packs of hunting Bassetts, legs are a little longer, ears a little shorter, but with a hell of a voice. They hunt hares and sometimes rabbits.

We have a local pack - the Leadon Vale Bassets - who I have seen in action. They are amazing and so are the huntsmen who are spectacularly fit!

sjb10

Visit site
I knew there are basset packs, but didn't realise the legs are a little longer and the ears a little shorter - although both make sense.

We had a basset when I was a child, they are lovely but v strong willed. In his next home apparently he didn't let the owners share the sofa!

My grandmother also had one, spectacularly lazy but would often bring small animals into the house as a gift of a morning. We never did work out how beauty caught them, but she regularly did!

A pack of them in full flight would be an amazing sight & sound.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Bassetts, bloodhounds, sight hounds ...... whatever, I couldn't care less, this forum surely is open to everyone who wants to contribute. George Whyte Melville would probably agree.

{97702}

Visit site
I knew there are basset packs, but didn't realise the legs are a little longer and the ears a little shorter - although both make sense.

We had a basset when I was a child, they are lovely but v strong willed. In his next home apparently he didn't let the owners share the sofa!

My grandmother also had one, spectacularly lazy but would often bring small animals into the house as a gift of a morning. We never did work out how beauty caught them, but she regularly did!

A pack of them in full flight would be an amazing sight & sound.

I did video them when I saw them but it was on my phone so rubbish quality and not really worth sharing I'm afraid - they were fantastic :)

Alec Swan

Visit site
No. You have to use the law as a basis, as I said earlier it isn't the same as a moral standpoint, that is up to the individual but that goes over and above the legal points

I agree with you in that this is nothing to do with any moral claim, no matter how correct we may consider it to be. Let me put it to you another way; ….

You have a legal right to enter and cross my property (a PRoW). My horse injures you (OR your property, in this case a dog) and you have no recourse to the Courts to claim any sort of redress in a civil issue? As I see it, this hinges around the dog walker's right to exercise their rights, and without let, hindrance or injury.

Assuming that I'm wrong, which I may well be, I live and learn!

Alec.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I agree with you in that this is nothing to do with any moral claim, no matter how correct we may consider it to be. Let me put it to you another way; ….

You have a legal right to enter and cross my property (a PRoW). My horse injures you (OR your property, in this case a dog) and you have no recourse to the Courts to claim any sort of redress in a civil issue? As I see it, this hinges around the dog walker's right to exercise their rights, and without let, hindrance or injury.

Assuming that I'm wrong, which I may well be, I live and learn!

Alec.

I don't think it's that you have no rights Alec, it's that generally these things are handled by the insurance company in much the same way as if you had a prang on the road - you aren't going to just say oops sorry I put a dent in your door, here's a cheque ...

MissMoppett

New User
Visit site
Lévrier;13566165 said:
I did video them when I saw them but it was on my phone so rubbish quality and not really worth sharing I'm afraid - they were fantastic :)

See www.bassethounds-walk.co.uk. Not a trained pack but a stroll every month of 5 or so miles. We have had 65 out at one go - but farmers don't get anxious - that was on a beach and will never happen across farmland. (Thank gawd for that then).

GirlFriday

Visit site
I don't think it's that you have no rights Alec, it's that generally these things are handled by the insurance company in much the same way as if you had a prang on the road - you aren't going to just say oops sorry I put a dent in your door, here's a cheque ...

Problem is that is usually between two insurance companies. An individual is simply less likely to have the resources to get something sorted. Which can be a pain.

ETA: definitely almost always a pain in fact! Would have almost certainly been easier to sort things out as gentlemen/ladies.

Last edited:

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Bassetts, bloodhounds, sight hounds ...... whatever, I couldn't care less, this forum surely is open to everyone who wants to contribute. George Whyte Melville would probably agree.

Ain't no one chucked me (or my poodles) off yet.

Cahill

Visit site
one of my dog walks has a fp across a small field.
i think in this particular instance, the farmer puts cattle in there to discourage anyone using the fp.
i spoke to the row officer and was told if the path blocked (the cattle always crowd in the corner around the style) then to take the next shortest route down the other side of the hedge in the next field.

i never walk paths with other peoples cows/horses on them.

also i think horses in fp fields are a bit `dodgy` as joe public feeds them tipbits that they are on the look out for treats.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

No-one said otherwise. My comment was only to correct the OPs impression that the title of the magazine referred separately to any horses and any hounds. Just being pedantic, not making any comment on her right to post.

Last edited:

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Ain't no one chucked me (or my poodles) off yet.
Poodles? POODLES on HHO? Swoons...

(Actually, I love 'em, had one as a child and he was awesome :D).

I rarely stick to the designated footpath route if it goes diagonally across a field with livestock in. I aim to cross safely, which may mean hugging the boundary, with minimal disturbance to the resident animals. The dog(s) is always on a lead.

I know you are supposed to stick to the exact route, but a little common sense goes a long way. It is an offence to have a dangerous animla in a field with a PROW, but any animal may react unexpectedly.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Sorry, this is a *slight* hijack...

But yes, truffle hunting poodles! LOL and ball hunting etc.

I've kept this one kind of quiet....

ballrun_zpsy0xip7ey.jpg

JillA

Visit site
When I worked at Pennwood years ago Charlie Moffatt's wife bred the small ones (?toy?) and they were not allowed to be pampered, they were tough as old boots. Aren't they originally a hunting breed?

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
When I worked at Pennwood years ago Charlie Moffatt's wife bred the small ones (?toy?) and they were not allowed to be pampered, they were tough as old boots. Aren't they originally a hunting breed?

I think they were retrievers but I may be wrong. They were definitely used for truffle hunting though.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
Standards are good retrievers yes, and miniatures will do anything and everything. They're the size of a working cocker spaniel. They usually like water, have webbed feet and despite the strange looks poodle clips of old were intended for the field (we have obviously made them exaggerated for the show ring and modern times allow us to fluff and style them a bit more extravagantly).

Mins and toys were used for hunting truffles. Mine hunt worms in the lawn so I'm not surprised. My min bitch is a very keen retriever (well, of balls and anything thrown) and loves her agility and despite my misfortunes, she's rather good at it. The toy is not yet six months and already showing a keenness for learning too and is pretty fearless. The are so trainable so it's no surprise that they have been known for circus acts and anything to make people laugh. Proper comedians, are poodles :)

Clodagh

Visit site
A beater on a shoot I pick up on has a toy poodle and a cockerpoo. The toy is much the better of the two, he works like a trojan and has a great nose. The cockerpoo is mad as a March hare. I love poodles. I wouldn't fancy the grooming after a days shooting though, even though they are clipped out it can't be too short, obviously, and the burrs and brambles that get in there.

Goldenstar

Visit site
This was the latest offering left by the public enjoying the footpath, another gift was left in a different field, way off the footpath. That offering was human crap and toilet paper.

18720831_10155136204636488_1329901558_o_zps7bgwzg6u.jpg

What is it with this crapping in the countryside thing ?
It's bizarre .

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Dunno why the OP is getting defensive about being allowed to post when no-one has questioned his/her right to do so? Odd.

I don't agree with this 'It could have been a child' cry. Horses are fight or flight, mine is horrified at dogs capering round, it's taken him years to ignore the GSD/mail on the yard. He would try to attack my dog if I caught in with the dog on a lead.

Re involving lawyers/court, I'd be weighing the costs up very carefully before proceeding. Whilst the law may be on your side, it might not be financially viable to proceed.