My mare discovered a new snack!

muddygreymare

Visit site
Bella loves normal treats like carrots and swede, but today my boyfriend decided he wanted to give her a new treat. I was expecting her to spit it out but I think she liked it! What's your horse's favourite treat?
2s1llxe.jpg

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Had a horse once who loved mandarins, skin and all, and sold one whose new owner fed him peaches. I put chilli sauce on a door once to stop a horse biting it. She licked it all off and asked for more :)

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Bella is suspiciously clean for a grey at this time of year...

Jake likes Kiwi's, chomps them whole and like to aim the explosion at the nearest human

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Bananas! No need to take the skin off though, that's the best bit!

Also pears and, well, basically anything. He was well known on a previous yard as he managed to filch all sorts owing to the location of his stable and the kitchen area. Including pineapple rings, apple crumble and custard and the farriers coffee. Basically don't stand near him with food and not pay attention.

Ladyinred

Visit site
Mine will sell their souls for banana!! Warning: the skin does contain a poison, though can't remember what and too lazy to look it up.

They also love pears, the juicier the better; parsnips; raw beetroot; apples and, of course, carrot.

Swede and sprout stems are the food of the devil however'

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
Mine will sell their souls for banana!! Warning: the skin does contain a poison, though can't remember what and too lazy to look it up.

Are you sure your not thinking of orange peel? Never heard anything about banana skin containing a poison, and just googled it and can't see anything. Just found some people (including vets) recommending them for ulcers.

Pie's mum

Visit site
Pie loves malt loaf and marmite sandwiches. I offered him a banana once, he was disgusted'! Swede also gets a good ignoring.

rachk89

Visit site
Mine will drink coffee if it's left nearby. He doesn't like soft foods like banana but anything is his. Carrots apples turnip biscuits toast are a small list of what we have found he likes so far. He will try for anything that looks remotely like food.

muddygreymare

Visit site
Hahaha now I have loads of ideas of lots of things to try to give her now! We weren't sure she'd like the skin so he just fed her the squidgy bit. I can't stand bananas but if she likes them I may have to buy a few :p

To the person who said she was clean, she'd just had a brush that's why, she's usually black when I go up to bring her in - hence my username ;)

Tobiano

Visit site
Damsons! Bilbo and I discovered the joys of a ripe damson when we stayed in a place with lots of damson trees… we stood for ages under the trees helping ourselves (well I had to help him as I didn't think he should eat the stones) :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Bella loves normal treats like carrots and swede, but today my boyfriend decided he wanted to give her a new treat. I was expecting her to spit it out but I think she liked it! What's your horse's favourite treat?
2s1llxe.jpg
My boy loves bananas

His mum liked
melons
oranges
pears
pinapples
plums
peaches

in fact all fruit
also loves V energy drink

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Are you sure your not thinking of orange peel? Never heard anything about banana skin containing a poison, and just googled it and can't see anything. Just found some people (including vets) recommending them for ulcers.

They tried banana at one of the olympics for ulcers as it has high levels of phospholipids, I think the bit next to the skin was the highest in these.

The only issue I've heard regarding the skin is that any chemicals e.g. pesticides used in the growing process could be present in the skin, that's not just bananas but a lot of fruit. And I get round that by buying organic bananas which I share with the tbs.

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
Old cob loves pears. He ate a quince once but it made him foam at the mouth like he had rabies! Oranges are also very acceptable. He really likes any sort of bread - peanut butter snadwiches are the best.

I offered young cob a banana a couple of weeks ago but he clearly thought his human had gone mad as they were entirely unsuitable as a horse food. He is quite conventional - carrots are just fine.

My son's horse once ate the best part of a bag of prawn crackers. It was boring waiting between dressage classes and it helped to pass the time.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
One of mine loves bananas, so does her daughter.

Other foods consumed/stolen over the years include:

salt and vinegar crisps
Terry's chocolate orange
kit kat
ice cream + cone
Ribena

cowgirl16

Visit site
Both of mine are crazy for liquorice! Only get 2 small pieces each though as v. high in sugar. The old pony is rather partial to pickled onion flavour monster munch (!!!). Years ago when I lived in Oz, a friend's horse loved sardine sandwiches! Weird or what?

rascal

Visit site
HUbbys mare Bramble likes bananas, but the others don't seem keen. They did seem to enjoy some stale hot cross buns we gave them. They also like pears. Nico likes quavers.

texenstar

Visit site
An old Shetland pony of mine used to manage to escape his paddock and then sometimes get into the house! His first port of call was to always poo in the laundry and raid the fruit basket. Unfortunately, one day there was a freshly baked chocolate cake on the table and the Shetland seemed to think that it would make an excellent snack!! Luckily, he was fine and from then one we always made sure to keep the slightly more sugary food higher than a naughty Shetland pony could possibly reach!

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I never thought of feeding banana's to horses until my friend chucked her banana skin on the floor and my 2yr old picked it up and ate it in one!

so after that I started feeding them!! my old girl prefers the actual banana and my now 6yr old prefers the skin! but they don't like too many of them, just a little bit every now and again.

the same horse also loves blackberries, we have numerous bushes on the way to his field and he has to stop at every single one and eat them! but my mare hates them, she splits them out!!

my mare loves cheese and onion crisps. I know this because I was eating a crisps roll one day and she stole it from me!

my shetland goes mad for salt and vinegar snack a jacks!! he used to be uncatchable but if I walked passed the field with a bag of them, he'd come legging it over!

Annagain

Visit site
My first pony, Blue, stole my hot dog at a show when I was 12. I was terrified he was going to die! Thank god there was no google in those days, I would probably have scared myself silly reading about horses with salmonella or something!

He wanted anything a human was eating. We had to be so careful when we ate anything non-horsey around him as he'd just snatch it out of your hand if you weren't concentrating!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
My horses are weird, one loves cheese.. He stole some off the counter (yes he has his head through the kitchen window!) and since I give him a teeny piece if he's been good, as that's not very often, he doesn't have much lol
. Another one loves GU lemon cheesecake, the really expensive one, he has a little bit and can lick the pot on special occasions. My mum gave him a bit she's ago , and now he goes mad for them, tried cheaper tesco lemon cheesecake and he spat it out...