My next equine project horse

Jellibean

Visit site
Aaaaaaaand DONE!!!

Over this week I have sat and read through this whole thread (obvoiusly not when I'm meant to be working... I never do that........)

I started off reading forgetting what year I was in and thinking you had just bought an 8 month old stunner and wondering how the thread had grown to 178 pages long in a matter of weeks.. wondering what is so special about this boy?!

I am not sitting with watery eyes.. I've literally laughed, cried, gasped, chocked, forgot to keep breathing at moments!

What a journey! And what a credit he is to you now. I've had my boy 14 years now, bought as an unruley 17hh 3 year old. We've grown up together so I can understand your joy (and pain) over the years.

Good luck with him in the future. I will watch with great respect.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
GILLB, You are not far from me, probably see you at SRC in the future.

Well Ted was going nicely but over the last couple of days he is finding working on the left rein is troubling him. He is curling his neck and poll, not going forwards and blocking through his shoulder.

Even though it was obvious all was not well last night, I was still pleased with him. He was doing lines of poles in walk, just picking his way through with his head down and looking where he was going. His well known default is panic and run, especially with things around his bottom and feet. Despite kicking a few poles around he did not clear off and actually concentrated even more when he had stepped on one. It is all slow and painstaking work but he his improving every day.

He has a good work ethic and we don't feel he is nappy. He bowls along in front on hacks, has no issues working alone in the field and no separation issues. He is not lame. He will have the weekend off as we are all at what looks like being a very soggy Three Counties Show. I think the first investigation will be his teeth, that will be fun.

Good luck to anyone at the Counties, take several changes of clothes !

SpringArising

Visit site
I'm working from home today and I can't tell you how many hours it's just taken me to read this thread from start to finish!

Ted is just so great. He reminds me so much of one of my old horses, both in looks and in personality. I straight-up cried when I saw the first pic of him being sat on! I can so imagine how proud of him you must have been.

He is so stunning and you have done such a great job with him - you've made me want to get another one.

Last edited:

Hetsmum

Visit site
Oh no I do hope you get to the bottom of this. Could he have wolf teeth erupting? I am sure you will get to the bottom of it. He does sound like his attitude so far has been fabulous :)

Clodagh

Visit site
He looks wonderful. Your breaker man looks fantastic, to see a youngster with no noseband and martingale, a real pleasure.
I vote clip him off! He can't carry the master with all that hair flapping about.
You must have such an eye for a horse, both him and Alice are really growing into something special.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
AA could we have a Ted and Alice update to get us through to the weekend?
Pleeeeease?!

Blimey, such popularity will go straight to their heads.

Alice has had a wardrobe malfunction, has set her heart on Louboutins and seen the outside world, I have received a black eye and Ted has received mail.

With the warmer weather here the flies have arrived so I dug out the sheet that Alice wore last summer and trundled over the field to dress her. She is living with her 2 year old half brother Dim Tim. After much tugging and squeezing it became apparent that only the hat still fitted her. With her brother giggling I told her she would have to make do until I can get her another one and in the meantime she was not to gallop around, fart, breathe out or put her head down.

Dim Tim has a wound on his pastern which is being treated, the request to give me his foot resulted in a misunderstanding and a meeting of his knee and my eye. Tim has extremely long legs having followed his TB sire rather than his cob dam in that department, unfortunately his has no control over them at all. That will teach me not to cut corners, he had no head collar on ! I sat in the field still clutching the tube of Aloe Vera seeing stars for a moment !

Alice is backed and riding nicely around the yard off the lead. Halt and walk is established so we ventured out into the lanes with her rider, all 48kgs of her on board. She was led on the lanes and was more anxious than I thought she might be. She seemed more bothered by distant sounds, like a tractor in the fields and a lawn mower behind the hedge than she did the passing cars. I was very chuffed when a bike group cycled past her and she didn't look. I have lost my rider for a few weeks now, exams getting in the way. It looks like Alice will need front shoes, she turned her nose up at Primark and requested Louboutin. I want to know who told her about them then ?

I am not allowed to refer to the furry fool as Ted the Twit as he is absorbing his lessons well although rushing anything is a no go. He has had a blip with his work in the field and is finding working to the left tricky. Investigations are under way.

A lovely forum member posted a bridle that might help Ted. It arrived today in a padded sack addressed to 'TED' c/o my address. The post lady told me she had a parcel for Ted to sign for. I could barely speak for laughing. I am so relieved I was home and did not have to attend the sorting office with Ted's ID to claim his parcel !

Ted is entered in a led heavy horse class on 4th July and will be turned out as a Shire. I am just off to collect the plaits and have a lesson in how to do a Shire mane.

scrat

Visit site
I have followed this thread with interest as Ted reminds me very much of our shire mare (sorry Ted I'm not saying you're a girl). We sent her to hoof camp with an excellent local heavy horse trainer and it was the best money we ever spent. They are such powerful animals and we realised that we were a bit out of our depth and that she needed to learn some manners and learn her job properly. I'm pleased to see that you are going to to learn the dark art of heavy horse plaiting. I'm still trying to perfect that. It helps a lot if your horse just stands still long enough to at least get the first few inches if plait started. I have just puchased a dvd by John Peacock which is a good reference and explains the basics. Cant wait to see pics of Teds big day out.

D66

Visit site
You mustn't let Ted carry his homework in a satchel, they load the young shoulders unevenly and is bound to cause spinal problems.:( back packs are much trendier anyway.
I'm another who keeps logging on in the hope of finding another photo. :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
DSCF1107_zpsbxoxe8ea.jpg

It has been a long time since our village saw a bus, but you never know when one might appear.

DSCF1112_zpsnoh4veko.jpg

Training for the lake at Badminton

DSCF1115_zpsmooag8c3.jpg

and being introduced to his Shire Horse plait for his big day out on the 4th July.

He went nicely today in an absolute monsoon. He had a Micklem bridle on, very kindly lent by a forum member and he wore a lightweight hat. He seemed comfortable.

Hetsmum

Visit site
AA he is absolutely stunning. In the photo with the bus you can see just what a looker he really is. Can't wait for the show on the 4th. How are you finding the Micklem? I am toying with the idea for one of mine.......not quite sure what size to go for though. Ted you are going to be a Super Ted :) :) :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He has only worn the Micklem once so far, (yesterday) so too early to comment. He starts his circles and shapes etc again on Monday, exercises he was struggling with, hence the investigations in his mouth and ears. Hopefully all will be well.

No idea why the pictures have disappeared.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted carried his first lady rider yesterday and he wasn't too sure of himself at all. He adores his trainer and has put total trust in him. It was very interesting to watch his reaction to a different rider and a reminder of how important it is to make sure that horses in general do not rely on one person.

DSCF1133_zpsghcpwmpe.jpg

After meeting his lady rider we went out into the fields for trotting practice. Despite being distracted by the shorts on Ted's rather fit and handsome trainer, wish I was younger ! I allowed myself a little daydream of doing dressage on Ted in the future.

His hat and the Micklem bridle seem to be helping him.

DSCF1119_zps5eu3fzn7.jpg

DSCF1122_zpsfycu1vbs.jpg

Hetsmum

Visit site
Ted carried his first lady rider yesterday and he wasn't too sure of himself at all. He adores his trainer and has put total trust in him. It was very interesting to watch his reaction to a different rider and a reminder of how important it is to make sure that horses in general do not rely on one person.

DSCF1133_zpsghcpwmpe.jpg

After meeting his lady rider we went out into the fields for trotting practice. Despite being distracted by the shorts on Ted's rather fit and handsome trainer, wish I was younger ! I allowed myself a little daydream of doing dressage on Ted in the future.

His hat and the Micklem bridle seem to be helping him.

DSCF1119_zps5eu3fzn7.jpg

DSCF1122_zpsfycu1vbs.jpg

This just made me smile. What a powerhouse in that last photo! Sounds like a lovely daydream to me :)

dianchi

Visit site
Im very sorry AA, I believe sister Bridgette has mentioned Louboutin in a text I saw- Phone and Vogue have been confiscated at present due to bad behaviour!
I believe this has come about as Bridgettes mum now has a pair of Nike's and Bridgette was rude about them!

Loving Ted's attitude to work and crossed for Debut at show! You might have another HOYS horse on your hands! :D

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Im very sorry AA, I believe sister Bridgette has mentioned Louboutin in a text I saw- Phone and Vogue have been confiscated at present due to bad behaviour!
I believe this has come about as Bridgettes mum now has a pair of Nike's and Bridgette was rude about them!

Loving Ted's attitude to work and crossed for Debut at show! You might have another HOYS horse on your hands! :D

Bridgette has a lot to account for then ! Alice is in for a shock, at 6pm she is hacking out all the way round our baby block, that is a whole mile and includes a barking dog who hurls himself at the fence, a hippo sized tup that normally shouts and farts as you pass him, the village hall where there might me a party on and a large field of horses that normally gallop alongside the lane hedge and cause chaos.

Martha, the rock steady pocket rocket will be alongside and if, a very big if, she can leave the cow parsley alone, she will be an ideal mentor for young Alice.

Cobbytype

Visit site
Never mind all this nonsense about totty in shorts and Ted not liking ladies on top, what we really want to know is... when Ted went into town on the No.6 bus last Saturday, what did he spend his pocket money on?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Never mind all this nonsense about totty in shorts and Ted not liking ladies on top, what we really want to know is... when Ted went into town on the No.6 bus last Saturday, what did he spend his pocket money on?

Tizer, pickled onion monster munch, chocolate and a batman outfit.

PinkFairy

Visit site
I haven't been on the forums for months and months, popped back on to just have a browse and this thread caught my attention and I have spent almost 3 hours reading every single page from start to end. Have loved reading your updates and seeing your photos, although this thread spans over a couple of years or so, it's still amazing to see the progress that Ted and Alice have made. Love the way you write, I did actually LOL a few times at Ted and Alice's antics! You've dealt with a lot over the past few years and I think you're amazing. ��

Will be logging in more frequently to read your updates!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Alice has placed herself on the re homing list. Please remember anyone who is interested in her will need extensive storage space for all her handbags, make up and designer clothing.

Ted has sent her a text telling her how wonderful his life is at boarding borstal. He has told her every orifice he possesses has been examined, his personal health care lady has visited. He is perfect and does not need dental braces, spectacles or an hearing aid. He has had a luxurious hour with a Mctimoney lady who was impressed with his manly looks and presence. What finally pushed her over the edge was Ted telling her that he only does 20 minutes work a day and has two meals a day.

Now this message was received last night after Alice had been on the lunge trying to grasp that a circle is a circle, not a square or an oval or a stand still and pull faces session. Worse was to come when she announced she knew where the school exit is and thought she would stay there. Alice considers that ladies should merely glow when they are warm, so to have white froth between her back legs and and drips off her tummy was totally outrageous.

Work is a four letter word in Alice land at the moment.