My next equine project horse

AdorableAlice

Visit site
'He is not a natural' was the answer to my question when I asked recently if Ted had cantered yet. So I was quite excited when I was invited over this afternoon having been told that Ted has finally cracked canter.

I arrived and sure enough Ted was cantering really well - on his own in large circles around Paul and David who had been trying to catch him for half an hour knowing I was on my way ! Apparently he had also hopped over the electric fence. It was hard to tell who was more hot and bothered, the horse or his breakers. He has been tricky to catch from day one but today was not fear, he was having lots of fun and knew exactly what he was doing. He did give up and came in with a smirk on his face.

DSCF1452_zpsouxeenv7.jpg

He worked nicely and managed to canter on both reins in an open field, correct lead and not too wobbly. Bred to pull not push, he is on the forehand big time and canter is going to need a lot of improving. At just 4 and huge I think canter will be easier in a few months time. There is no hurry. Well, he at least he tried !

DSCF1440_zpseshmy1th.jpg

Better

DSCF1439_zpsvk3dnneb.jpg

After work Ted met Turbo and was taken with the little fella, he has seen the foal from a distance but not met him.

DSCF1457_zpshi3wphnt.jpg

A lovely afternoon ended with Turbo putting Ted in his place.

DSCF1464_zpsxldj3drl.jpg

Hetsmum

Visit site
Still falling more and more in love with Ted every day :) And Intro A !!!!!!!!! All I can say is Valegro is called "The Cob" by Carl at home. Say no more!!!! :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted is looking fabulous! How much longer do you think he will stay at the breakers?
Little turbo is lovely!

Until he is safe for me or I run out of money or the husband finds out how much money the horse is costing !

I am hoping to have him back when he has competed for the first time. He is entered for a walk and trot test in 3 weeks time.

I need to decide whether to keep him going or turn him away.

JenHunt

Visit site
AA, are the children home and partying for summer holidays? or are they still boarding/being home schooled?

our two old men are in disgrace after trashing their fly rugs (pulled all the belly straps off both rugs) and then churning up our (very dry) field by charging around to escape the flies!

teacups

Visit site
You beat me to it jenhunt - I was just planning to write this morning to see how Ted is getting on with learning his dressage practice!
I love those photos you posted, AA.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted and Alice love being remembered, they think they are famous.

They are both well and behaving themselves. Alice is having a little break, she suddenly started to grow rapidly after being broken in May. I guess it is typical ID, she did not grow as a younger horse and I was convinced I had bred a pony. Her education has gone well, slightly sulky in the school and soon clocked the gate. I don't think young horses should do much in the school after they have been taught to carry the rider, steer in a fashion and understand stop, so she went hacking with the ever steady influence of Martha. Having said that we did have a moment out in the lanes when an unseen dog hurled itself at a gate. Alice merely said 'yah whatever' and kept walking, Martha left the scene and very nearly tipped me off the backend given that i was sitting there like a sack of spuds.

Alice continued hacking through July and did some off roading, taking everything in her stride, pheasants, ducks on the lake, a working digger and scrambled through a rough ditch. She managed to bumble her way into a canter and was nicely calm. Her lightweight jockey then went on holiday and I decided to stop Alice as well. Her bum is way higher than the front end and although she did her work well she seemed too tired for the amount done.

Ted is firing on all cylinders and should anyone be in the vicinity of Allens Hill Comp Centre, Pershore on 22nd August he can been seen doing Walk and Trot 2009. His competition name is Ted From Tipton.

He has been given the test to read and his concentration levels are improving. The 20m circle in trot with stretching after x is troubling him slightly. He has an immense front end with the Shire bulky neck and although I am told he is light in the hand and going forwards that is not the picture he shows. He is built poll high and I can see the judges thinking he is against the hand. Anyway, it all education for him and a route to make him quiet enough for me to ride when he comes home.

Also on the work plan is hound exercise, a short pleasure ride on 30th August and some mornings cubbing. His head shaking/ear problems have disappeared and we really do think it was a habit/evasion tactic at times, although we have not put him back in a normal bridle, he likes the micklem and I doubt he will need a double ! The walk and trot test might be his limit.

Off to buy my weekly lottery ticket and get the beans from Aldi. Good job I have an understanding husband !

Last edited:

Hetsmum

Visit site
Great to hear how they are both getting on. It just shows how 2 quite different horses needed different regimes. I agree with you when they are bum high let them be for a bit. Oh how I wish I lived nearer so I could come and watch the dressage. Please please take lots of photos! I have just bought a micklem for one of mine and he does seem to like it. He had one of his 'throw all my toys out of the pram' moments on Saturday and instead of the usual head tossing for at least 15 mins afterwards he only did a couple of head tosses.....whilst continuing to bounce......;)
Hmmmmm Carol Parsons had a wonderful Shire X dressage horse - his name escapes me.......
Good luck Ted! :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Great to hear how they are both getting on. It just shows how 2 quite different horses needed different regimes. I agree with you when they are bum high let them be for a bit. Oh how I wish I lived nearer so I could come and watch the dressage. Please please take lots of photos! I have just bought a micklem for one of mine and he does seem to like it. He had one of his 'throw all my toys out of the pram' moments on Saturday and instead of the usual head tossing for at least 15 mins afterwards he only did a couple of head tosses.....whilst continuing to bounce......;)
Hmmmmm Carol Parsons had a wonderful Shire X dressage horse - his name escapes me.......
Good luck Ted! :)

Giddy - says it all ! Shire x's are giddy.

Tern

Visit site
It's so nice to see how they are getting on! Glad to see that Alice has found the gate - the most important bit of the arena. She's just looking "In Case of an Emergency"

I have a Clydesdale x Non-Existent Thoroughbred who is dressage trained and he offers a very nice extension - A bit heavy and cobby on the hand but will lighten up. I am almost scared to teach him flying changes because he is heavy - we may cause an earthquake. :D

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It's so nice to see how they are getting on! Glad to see that Alice has found the gate - the most important bit of the arena. She's just looking "In Case of an Emergency"

I have a Clydesdale x Non-Existent Thoroughbred who is dressage trained and he offers a very nice extension - A bit heavy and cobby on the hand but will lighten up. I am almost scared to teach him flying changes because he is heavy - we may cause an earthquake. :D

One way of looking at it !, I have in case of emergency chocolate stashes.

Teaching a heavy flying changes, now there is a thought and you are very near to me. I will get him through prelim and then post him to you for further education. The British team needs your clyde and my shire x 's

Tern

Visit site
I will quite happily have your boy, he looks lovely and if he is as dappy as mine they'd get on perfectly. ;)

Mine is 15 so Ted will have to get a move on if he wants to become the next Valegro along with Derek! :D

dianchi

Visit site
So glad to see that Ted is doing so super!

Hope the video camera will be making appearance at the dressage so we can all see!! Steph Croxford is partial to a heavy so careful she doesnt nab him!

Sister Bridgette, now has tack that fits and is back on the band wagon- hacking like a pro and swaggering about :)
Alice and wardrobe are always welcome!

JenHunt

Visit site
Yay! A Ted and Alice update! :D that's made my afternoon!

glad to hear they are both doing well. Alice is just convincing me further that I want an Archie baby (*rattles empty purse). Though I'm not sure our two would take kindly to a 'youth' in their midst.

Ted sounds like it's all suddenly clicked for him, which is about time for you I suppose. what excellent news about the stressage test, how exciting!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Oh my gosh, he's magnificent! (Ted I mean, although I'm sure his rider is very nice too.) Is it too late to change his posh name to Super Ted??

Super Ted was the best show cob Robert Oliver had and was HOY's supreme several times, can't quite see my cart horse hitting those heights.

I look at pictures like this one and even though I have reared the horse I can't believe what he has grown into.

17june12006.jpg

HeresHoping

Visit site
Ted from Tipton! Brilliant. I saw the 'Ted from' bit and thought, NO! she's not calling him Two Ton Ted from Teddington. Phew. He's from elsewhere.

Older readers will know who that is. And there is a pie reference.

He looks wonderful. I bet you can't wait to have him home. I shall be watching out for your Intro B.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The horse, or the trainer with his half chaps and shorts? ;)

Steady Old Girl, you want to see him with no top on. Seriously fit. Anyhow, I digress. Ted's breaker is a little unorthodox in more ways than one, The Pony Club and the BHS would have a fit of the vapours if they had witnessed some of the techniques used with Ted.

The HSE would implode, but I have exactly what I wanted, a safe and confident young horse, no gadgets, no bribery and no quick fixes. We decided to tweak the plan for Ted last night, he will not see hounds this autumn. He is steady enough for me to get on, if I can find the brave pants, so his breaker suggested we concentrate on me hacking him out and getting my confidence. Hounds might blow his mind and it would be such a shame to let that happen. My remit was always 'make him safe' for a windy old lady to hack out and handle alone.

So the plan now is to find another dressage outing and hack until the nights draw in, then he winters out. Back to the breaker in Spring, I can see him being 17.2 by the spring, as a rising 5 year old with, hopefully, a good and useful life in front of him.