My next equine project horse

L&B

Visit site
Well, I have spent the entire day reading this thread start to finish... Wow! What an incredible journey. Half makes me wish I'd documented my girlies growing up...
The way Ted and Alice have come across through you is amazing. You should write a book. I am going to look forward to these updates from now on :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Well, I have spent the entire day reading this thread start to finish... Wow! What an incredible journey. Half makes me wish I'd documented my girlies growing up...
The way Ted and Alice have come across through you is amazing. You should write a book. I am going to look forward to these updates from now on :)

Thank you, but I will admit a secret. It was HH forum that kept me sane in some very dark days when I was ill, the support I have had in private messages and on this thread has been amazing. Ted's dairies gave me something to do and documented his progress.

I have just had an equine summer wardrobe turf out, the fly sheets that Ted wore last year are now more like frilly knickers on him. Not to worry, all fly sheets are a fiver ! and he will need two.

gothdolly

Visit site
What a lovely, lovely update. Who would have guessed that the carthorse who gave you so much trouble and anxiety would come home with ribbons :) I dread to think what would have happened to him if he had ended up in a market, or with a novice wanting their first youngster to break and thinking he would be a "dope on a rope"..... So p!eased for your good health news too!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Look out, carthorse on the rampage. This canter business is troublesome.

P1010062_zpsia213xcj.jpg

P1010064_zpssvzdqv56.jpg

Little Alice is catching up with Ted very quickly and it was lovely to see them both working together for the very first time.

P1010048_zps7ckndh52.jpg

P1010042_zpspgbe7l3n.jpg

Alice is finding the work easy, but keeping the saddle in place is a problem, super glue and a crupper might be needed. She is ready for her first walk and trot test and is loading nicely. Tomorrow will be her first short ride in the lorry around the village with an unload and hack home. Her beard came off today and before she appears in public she needs a leg and bikini line shave.

Where do the years go, it only seems minutes since the pair met for the first time and Alice told Ted to foxtrot oscar in no uncertain terms. When they go to a competition together I will be one unbearable owner, I might even cry !
TedmeetsAlice001_zps824bfb31.jpg

Mince Pie

Visit site
I love this thread. Please don't stop. I recommended it to a friend who had breast cancer and she found it so helpful. I have just gone back to my favourite posts: your old OH visiting and the farrier fetching Ted out of the field to help the racehorse.
Can you please quote them for me?

Regandal

Visit site
Love the 'frilly knickers'! Someone kindly gave me a Saxon rug for my old boy. I put it on him and promptly took it off again. It looked like a mini-skirt. He was not impressed.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
After telling Ted he cannot be a fair weather horse, after all if Carl ever wants to borrow him it would awful if it rained and Ted didn't like it !, we set off to a baby dressage competition in heavy snow this morning. We arrived and there was not a soul in the lorry park and an empty warm up which endorsed my thoughts of being totally bonkers and why had I just not stayed in bed on such a foul morning.

It was pleasing to see Ted get on with his work despite the weather, his little face was white at one point but he took no notice. Luckily the tests were indoors. He managed 65% and got himself another red rosette courtesy of no one else turning up for that class. We then took advantage of the warm up arena only having a few horses in it to have a go at cantering. His canter is improving but he still somewhat wild so apologies to anyone in there with him.

The second test was fabulous, all bends correct and no wobbles for a 72% second place so very chuffed with him especially as he had not been ridden this past week. His girlfriend has her first entry in May, no doubt there will be discussions about who is better than who. I hope they don't fall out again, they are impossible when they hate one another.

MargotC

Visit site
I'm impressed with Ted! Being in Norway we are no strangers to snow whilst riding but there are many horses (and riders) who would not have gotten those results after a snow-filled warmup. He must be enjoying what he does. ;)

Suechoccy

Visit site
What a lovely thread! What an adorable horse! Fantastic to read about your progress and see the photos on page 243 versus the baby photos on page 1. Hugely well done you.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Well done Ted, excellent work :)

He needs to keep it up, his girlfriend is progressing very quickly and is entered for her first test. She finds it all very easy and has natural balance. He is on 12 rosettes with today's efforts so has a good lead, but she can canter and he can't so she could catch him up easily unless he masters prelims. She is struggling with the lorry so that will hold her back for a while.

I just hope Ted remembers Alice's birthday which is soon, if he doesn't there is going to be big trouble. I have told her not to be too optimistic because Ted is still paying fines off for all his naughty step days.

P1010032_zpssvw928cq.jpg

teacups

Visit site
Very impressive, Ted! If you were to advertise him you could now use the words 'he's a rosette machine'... <g>...before I get jumped on by somebody, that was a joke! Both the selling and the use of the word 'machine' in an advert!

Can't believe you had snow yesterday, blimey. Well done Alice, not long now (hope weather picks up for her first test though).

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted has cracked the canter, he produced the most lovely balanced and uphill canter circle this evening which would have been wonderful if.............

It had not been the most beautiful spring day we have seen so far and I left work early, had he not escaped onto fresh grazing and had he not been required for a schooling session. He remains 'at large' and in disgrace. Now where did I put his fieldsafe headcollar, the little toad hasn't got his rug on and it serves him right if he gets cold later.

Sponymum

Visit site
2 days down and I have managed to read all 246 pages of this quite amazing thread!

As others have said this really should be made into a book! I have absolutely loved reading the tales of Ted, Alice and the gang! What an incredible story!

Also very pleased to hear that you are now well and getting back in the saddle! Long may it continue!

I do so hope that you continue with your writing of Ted and gangs adventures. It has certainly cheered me up reading all that you have been up to and how far you have all come together!

I hope you are all well and all the horses are behaving! They are beautiful! And you lady have done quite a smashing job with them! They are all very lucky to have found such a wonderful horsey mummy!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
2 days down and I have managed to read all 246 pages of this quite amazing thread!

As others have said this really should be made into a book! I have absolutely loved reading the tales of Ted, Alice and the gang! What an incredible story!

Also very pleased to hear that you are now well and getting back in the saddle! Long may it continue!

I do so hope that you continue with your writing of Ted and gangs adventures. It has certainly cheered me up reading all that you have been up to and how far you have all come together!

I hope you are all well and all the horses are behaving! They are beautiful! And you lady have done quite a smashing job with them! They are all very lucky to have found such a wonderful horsey mummy!

Gosh, what lovely words, I am blushing !

AdorableAlice

Visit site
AA, is Ted the Twit still at large, or has he succumbed to the comforts of a warm stable?

I went out this morning with a dart gun and lasso. Cornered the little SH one T and after throttling him with the lasso and stabbing his arse with the dart gun I put handcuffs on him. Then he was roped onto a sledge and towed back to the yard. Once in solitary confinement he was questioned about his absence. He claims he put in for annual leave and I signed his request for two days in grassy paradise.

He totally denies he rudely pushed through a half open gate, barged the cows out of his way and disappeared at the speed of light into forbidden areas. He was sent out for a long hack as punishment and denied any tea.

Despite all his willingness and success at the baby dressage he is just starting to slip into being a little bit stroppy. He is five in June and a little ' I know what I am doing' even his halter manners are getting dubious, he walked in front of me today and took no notice of being told off until I got sharp with him. I will have to watch he does not get above himself.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Teenage sleeping has taken over.

I couldn't find him this morning, the others and the cows were there but no Ted. Then I spotted a large red hump lay in the grass in another field. He was flat out snoring well all on his own. I thought they lay down protected by their mates ! Not Ted he doesn't give a fig about friends, he got tired and that was it had to lie down. At least wearing his red packamac I spotted him this time and didn't have a melt down.

teacups

Visit site
Maybe he is growing again...!

ETA Loved your description of catching him and roping him to a sled before questioning - made me laugh, thank you.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
I went out this morning with a dart gun and lasso. Cornered the little SH one T and after throttling him with the lasso and stabbing his arse with the dart gun I put handcuffs on him. Then he was roped onto a sledge and towed back to the yard. Once in solitary confinement he was questioned about his absence. He claims he put in for annual leave and I signed his request for two days in grassy paradise.

He totally denies he rudely pushed through a half open gate, barged the cows out of his way and disappeared at the speed of light into forbidden areas. He was sent out for a long hack as punishment and denied any tea.

Despite all his willingness and success at the baby dressage he is just starting to slip into being a little bit stroppy. He is five in June and a little ' I know what I am doing' even his halter manners are getting dubious, he walked in front of me today and took no notice of being told off until I got sharp with him. I will have to watch he does not get above himself.

That turning five is a dangerous time, the Oik turned 5 at the end of March - cue lots of rude names!
Love your Ted updates he reminds me of one of my parents shires when she was a baby - she end up at 18hh jet black, four white socks and a blaze :)