My next equine project horse

teacups

Visit site
Some photos would be much appreciated by all, I'm sure!

He may just be like many unruly children, and behave so utterly beautifully when not at home that everyone thinks you are a horrible parent for making such awful stories up, and you begin to hear the word 'Munchausen's' muttered under people's breath when they are looking over at you...<g>

Your rider gets lessons of quality, and I'm jealous of his general riding too - I can but dream.

Good luck to all involved today! It's beautiful weather so at least you have that going for you. Look forward to hearing the report, my 5p bet is that you'll be proud.

Greybird

Visit site
My pocket money is on a rosette (or two). He just continues to delight (the readers if not his carers!)
We all know you love him dearly.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
We have had a lovely day with fantastic weather, so nice not to need several layers and a hat.

The first surprise was finding that Ted is growing again, this time his withers are going up.

DSCF2307_zpstpvczlnn.jpg

He was tense rather than naughty in the warm up, the classes were small so the warm up was quiet, he was naughty to get on but he was forgiven for that has he has been perfect at home.

Ted's version of a walk to halt transition..
DSCF2326_zpshyqg41j2.jpg

He behaved nicely and did a mannerly Intro B to finish 2nd with 67%. Prelim 1 followed and his canter in the warm up was fast, furious, on the forehand and mainly on the wrong leg ! Too late to worry about anything so we just laughed.

DSCF2310_zps27sraumn.jpg

The test was nice until the canter left which commenced with a large fart and feathers flying, at least he was on the correct lead and once in the canter he maintained it and the downward transition was good. The mark of 5 was generous. Canter right basically didn't happen and almost an entire circle was taken before canter appeared, another 5
and we assumed the judge was asleep.

He finished with a super halt and scored a miserly 6, judge either asleep or forgot her glasses. He scored 64% and we were not disappointed with him. Canter will come as he strengthens and gains balance.

DSCF2346_zpsys5njxw6.jpg

Given his age and quirkiness he was a really good boy, travelled well, tried hard and mannerly.

DSCF2334_zpsfv9hnemg.jpg

DSCF2347_zpspinh1tam.jpg

DSCF2345_zps1d7umrhm.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Its so lovely to read these updates. Having read about Ted since his arrival I feel very invested in him now!

If my husband had any idea of how much investment has gone into Ted there would be a divorce. Back in 2012 when the scraggy foal landed I didn't dare tell him I had acquired another horse. The answer to every 'how much' question is always "a fiver".

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I just knew there would be a rosette - he tries sooo hard. Were there , in fact, two rosettes?

No, just one, his foray into the world of canter in the postage stamp area of 20x40 proved too much for him. You are right though, he tries so hard and at times too hard, which is what is happening in the canter. It will come as he gets stronger and more able to balance his huge frame.

He has been excused his lesson tomorrow and his next outing in Easter Tueday at the final one of six winter dressage series shows at the local riding club. He has done the previous 5 months and March is the last one. He has won 2 and been 3rd three times and is currently in line for a rosette for scoring the most points in the Intro A/B class.

Who would have imagined me writing the paragraph above, just twelve months ago I was in the deepest despair worrying I would have to put him down.

From this bag of dangerous nerves..
P1011033_zps248c363a.jpg

To these real horsemen...
DSCF0807_zpsgxvokbzt.jpg

DSCF1107_zpsbxoxe8ea.jpg

To this lovely rising 5 year old chunky cob with a brilliant future to look forward to
DSCF2331_zps307ypjeg.jpg

Quite a journey for a £200 feral cart horse.

Adopter

Visit site
Fantastic achievement AA, he is so lucky you kept believing in him through some difficult times, you and he together with the team who have supported you deserve a great future in whatever Ted decides his talents lie.

teacups

Visit site
Lots of photos! And a very good full report. Love the rider's face on the 'walk to halt transition' photo.

Well done Ted, and well done to all involved - also well done funding all that with just a few fivers (your OH might be reading) <g>

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted has had that special phone call - a call up into a team, that Valegro chappie isn't qualified is he, so Ted got the call.

Twinkle Toes Ted is invited into the Intro Dressage to Music Team for his riding club. What a hoot, the only tune I can think of would be the floral dance. I can't see his rider wanting to do it but I will ask, probably not tonight because we took his own horse out today and had one of those 'horses are great levellers' days. A whopping 74% win followed by a buck, squeal and leave the arena in the next test, at 17.2, a heavyweight and heading directly towards the judges car it was not looking good !

Looks like Ted's outing on Saturday will be abandoned, 55 mph gales and heavy rain forcast for the Midlands.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
What a great idea, Ted dancing to music. I think the choice of music would be most interesting!

He, Alice and Dim Tim are all doing a war dance at the moment. I bought them a big bale net and used it yesterday for the first time. that has stopped the huge amount of waste, the pulling good haylage down and snoozing or worse in it, and should save me some money.

They are all miffed to say the least.

blodwyn1

Visit site
The most memorable routine at the Paralympics was the Irish rider on a cob of unknown breeding who did her routine to steptoe and son! It brought the house down with lots of waving as we were not supposed to clap! It was a 1a test so all in walk.

D66

Visit site
If my husband had any idea of how much investment has gone into Ted there would be a divorce. Back in 2012 when the scraggy foal landed I didn't dare tell him I had acquired another horse. The answer to every 'how much' question is always "a fiver".

Just been reading back to see what I've missed. This strikes a cord. I have the rather pricey feed supplement delivered to the house when the OH is out, and don't take bags from the saddlers to avoid having to explain what I've bought. ;)

Congratulations on having brought Ted so far.
I think "big and brassy", would be very suitable, only other thought would be to investigate Football anthems, i.e. You'll never walk alone, Mr Bluesky, match of the day theme.

Last edited: