My next equine project horse

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted and Alice's editor in chief is getting a bit lax, so I had better bring their antics up to speed.

Sadly it is now official, Alice is a pumpkin not a princess. Her assessment, last Friday with Robert Oliver went well and I was very pleased with her attitude and way of going, but as expected she is too pretty to be a cob and not pretty enough to be a small hunter at county level. She will be lots of fun locally though and will go jumping.
17622327_10211320759388869_2022213500_o_zps4ebinxjn.jpg

DSCF4129_zpsjuimdv00.jpg

She returned to the lovely facilities of Stourport Riding school on the Sunday for our vet practice's open day. She is their cover girl and she enjoyed meeting her fans who have followed her, via the newsletter, since she was born. She was first on the weigh bridge and mortified the gathering of vets and the Allen & Page nutritionist with her impressive 582kg, they all agreed she did not look anywhere near that weight, and they got into a huddle discussing how important it is to know how heavy a horse is when trying to gauge drug dosage. Alice then had a big chalk sign written on her 'GUESS HOW HEAVY I AM'. Needless to say she was aghast and threw the entire contents of her handbag across the lorry park. We were sworn to secrecy not to tell Ted that she is officially a fat bird.

Anyway, we decided to show her the lovely clear round jumps and she had a little go, that made her sweat the chalk sign off and get very out of breath. She was convinced all the effort would result in weight loss, so we went back to the scales and blimey O'rielly, she had lost 8kg. Why can't I drop 8kg when I sweat a bit !

DSCF4136_zpskt9eyr5k.jpg

They are both out on Good Friday, competing against one another prelim 7 and 14. That is assuming Ted gets up and puts his face straight.
17778756_10211353255961263_452797449_o_zpsy7nfbxz9.jpg

17522425_10211352737068291_770067090_o_zpswrvxsfjx.jpg

Both of them will have a sad weekend as Dim Tim leaves us for his new home and to start his ridden career. Alice will miss him the most. She loves her half brother.
17837783_10211406610335089_1965497803_o_zpsinsucpma.jpg

Ted will probably enjoy some peace.

17838428_10211400944673451_173383203_o_zpsqvvhnssd.jpg

jojo5

Visit site
I am a closet fan of Dim Tim so sad to hear he is leaving you but how lucky are his new owners...........��

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I am a closet fan of Dim Tim so sad to hear he is leaving you but how lucky are his new owners...........��

There will be lots of updates, his new owners are dear friends and I will be kept well updated. We tried to give him a make over today before he leaves. He looks no different and we both had asthma attacks, filthy hairy beast is Dim Tim.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Another wonderful update, but my goodness, who is the naughty fence muncher? They've certainly done a number on those railings!

A racehorse called 'Overly Cautious' did that and he won't be taking his summer holidays this year with me. He was not overly cautious with his ruddy teeth. There is another 200 metres of damage.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Ah fence chewers...An old stud groom I worked for used to coat anything being chewed with lard. It's a cheap fix and they certainly didn't seem to like it! Mind you, I was somewhat puzzled the first time he sent me to ask his wife for half a pound of lard...

JenHunt

Visit site
crikey that's some fence chewing!! We use old engine oil, applied liberally with an equally old paint brush. It always used to be my first job of the school easter holidays, to go round and repaint all the posts and rails in the summer fields before they were moved into them, and then the last job of the summer hols to do the winter field... thankfully our current old men prefer soft green grass (or hedge, or ash tree, or, even better, anything provided by a human)....

Pippity

Visit site
Ted's face is the same as my share horse's when I get JUST the right itchy spot!

Alice is looking absolutely stunning. Such a shame she falls between showing categories.

jojo5

Visit site
There will be lots of updates, his new owners are dear friends and I will be kept well updated. We tried to give him a make over today before he leaves. He looks no different and we both had asthma attacks, filthy hairy beast is Dim Tim.

It's his rufty- tufty looks and individual wisdom that attract me .............

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
A racehorse called 'Overly Cautious' did that and he won't be taking his summer holidays this year with me. He was not overly cautious with his ruddy teeth. There is another 200 metres of damage.

AA have you ever tried to write professionally? You have such a way with words.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
AA have you ever tried to write professionally? You have such a way with words.

No, i doubt my education would be sufficient. Ted's thread just started as a plea for help when he landed in 2012 and then as a bit of company for me when I was ill in 2013/14. The whole forum was company for the months I was at home. The breaking and making of Ted interested a lot of forum readers so I kept it going. At some point it will have to stop, he is grown up now, well most of the time !

We are looking forward to Friday's dressage, I have two riders wanting to beat one another and threatening that one will be hacking home if beaten by the other. Ted and Alice are plotting untold naughtiness and I am fearing the day will be like taking four toddlers out. At least Allens Hill has a good burger bar, if it all turns into a squabble I will put Ted and Alice in a bun with lots of ketchup.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Qualifications be damned, you really can write!

Take plenty of nappies tomorrow :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Qualifications be damned, you really can write!

Take plenty of nappies tomorrow :)

Nappies packed, sweets, toys (not heavy or breakable ones, Alice can throw hers miles, can't risk injury to others !) crisps, pop and variety of cardigans. Spare stockings in case Alice gets hers laddered, lipstick and mascara. Oh crickey, that is bling and I have just commented on the glittered racehorse thread, opps.

2, saddles, bridles, rain mac, sweat sheet, half ton of hay, grooming kit....................................and vodka. Assuming I survive the day and return in an upright position I will update on the toddlers day out this evening. Bet Ted is flat out snoring and farting when I get onto the yard in a minute.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
The Toddlers outing report. Forgive any spelling errors, I have just finished an entire bottle of Prosecco, Belletti very nice indeed.

We have had the most lovely day and this picture sums it up nicely.

DSCF4221_zpsfgz6meys.jpg

Super Ted won both his prelim classes, P14 with a very nice 70.2%. Little Alice who was at her busiest venue so far, was a little overawed by everything and reverted to her tight backed short stepping mode in P7, being unplaced on 60%. She tried but was very worried. The world and his wife seemed to be at Allenshill today, it was a joint dressage and combined training day and it was lovely to see the venue so well supported. It was a good learning curve for Alice. Ted took everything in his stride and posed all day. It reaped benefits with so many people telling him how handsome he is. I soon put him straight with a threat of putting him in a milk cart if he got too above himself with fame.

DSCF4185_zps9uemaiwf.jpg

We had a nice break for lunch before P14 and Alice stuffed herself full of haylage and had a coughing fit. With all our neighbours staring at the box I felt like shouting 'no disease', just a gutsy tart who has stuffed the lot to ensure Ted gets nothing !

A facefull of haylage and a rest agreed with Alice and she came out for her second test a totally different horse, relaxed and focused she went beautifully and I was so proud of her. It doesn't seem five minutes since she was born and I was wiping her nose as she took her first breath. Where does time go. I knew it was a nice test and her way of going is far more correct than Ted's but I was still surprised to see her on 69% and holding on to 3rd place.

Ted was on fire in the collecting ring, refusing to stand still for more than a few seconds and displaying all the nervous head snatching, feet stamping behaviour that we haven't seen in a while and very much wanting to get on with his test. As soon as he was in the arena he changed instantly and got on with his job.

His rider declared he had done the best test so far being soft, listening and not hurtling along on his forehand. With an 8.5 for his position and some 8's through the test, Ted's rider was elated. I have just had a text telling me he has downed a bottle of champagne and is half way through a bottle of white wine whilst trying to decide if Ted could try a novice test next. Tomorrow morning's hack out could be a grumpy head ache hour.
DSCF4213_zpsca6x86xv.jpg

This picture makes me smile, Not sure who is concentrating the most.
DSCF4217_zps8kj676ub.jpg

Beausmate

Visit site
Fabulous!:biggrin3: Big well done to Team Ted :clap:

Ted frequently has the look and posture of a horse about to venture into battle, whereas his rider has the look of one who wants to venture into the beer tent - the reason for which depending on the mood of his steed...

Luci07

Visit site
AA- have you seen the videos for Billy, the dressage wonder cob on FB? Struggling to paste a link.. Will try again but Billy, in full traditional feathers, is showing how he can strut his stuff.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Tears not chocolate for Easter Sunday at Team Adorable Alice today. Alice's half brother and Ted's partner in crime, Dim Tim has just left for the next chapter in his life with his wonderful new owners on the Isle of Mann. We are all going to miss him terribly but he is too special and has far too much potential to be wasted with me.

DSCF4237_zpsbqsvppup.jpg

DSCF4277_zpsze8ktwjg.jpg

He has never been included in Ted's story because he has never officially belonged to me, although I have raised him and he will always be special to me for a variety of reasons, the worst being the fact I let his owner down by being too ill to care for our mare, be with her when he was born and look after him for the first 8 months of his life. It was very frustrating and upsetting to have all the skill and facilities at home but to have to send the mare away and miss everything. I was having my first chemotherapy session when he was born. I persuaded someone to take me to see him a few days later which I just about managed but that was it for a good while after.

2013%20foal%20021_zpsl4mvw2vt.jpg

He had the longest legs ever seen on a foal and is now 17h at almost 4. Kind and very affectionate, clumsy with the attention span of a goldfish, never said no, always said 'I try' and has been a real pleasure to have around.

A commercial carrier has collected him and the groom was delighted at how polite and sensible Tim was as he loaded into a strange rear facing lorry. Apparently they deal with a lot of difficult horses. He is on the M6 now and I am worried sick about him. I am promised a call from the carrier when they reach the docks, where he is resting overnight before doing the second part of his journey by boat.

Good luck Dim Tim.

DSCF4251_zps1kqoiowh.jpg

DSCF4275_zpshefsef9o.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Sure he will be fine, but natural to worry.

Hope Dim Tim gets up to lots of exciting stuff in his new home :)

He will be broken in the summer, hope that is not too exciting for all concerned ! He arrived in the holding yard safely and sails over tomorrow. They very kindly sent me pictures, he was cool but his eyes were quite fearful, which I suppose is to be expected from a young horse being handled by strangers in a strange place. I almost wish i had not seen the photos. Ted is calling for him but Alice hasn't noticed Tim is missing yet.

View

Visit site
It's always hard to let them go, but you have given him a wonderful early years education, and have set him up well for his future.

Ted being slightly stressy by breed it's not altogether surprising that he has noticed first. I wonder if it will sink in with her when she finally gets fed up with Ted calling and asks him what he is making a racket about?

Time for you to raise a glass tonight to Tim and the start of the next phase of his life. You are allowed to wonder if he will be all right, we all do that when family members fly the nest.

ozpoz

Visit site
Lovely to see Ted and Alice doing so well - and you have set up Dim Tim beautifully to cope with a change, a good attitude is everything. : )

chaps89

Visit site
The smile on your riders face in the first photo with your dressage report says it all, brilliant (equally brilliant is the concentration in the canter photo!) It sounds like a fabulous day out with positives for both Alice and Ted.
How sad to see Dim Tim move on but he will have had the very best of starts with yourself to give him a good foundation in the next chapter of his adventures. As to not being there for the first few months? You were exceptionally ill, going through a tough time and the following years he's had with you will be better than many horses could wish for. You're exceptionally inspirational AA