My next equine project horse

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Wow, he is 8 already! Happy Birthday for yesterday Ted!
There is something really relaxing about the photo you posted of him. I am not sure whether it's the sunset lighting, or how relaxed they all look or a combination, but it's really lovely!

Tarragon

Visit site
Yes, Happy Birthday Ted! I cannot believe that it has been 8 years either. I only recently became a member, having been a very ling time lurker, and I have loved reading all your Ted posts over the years and have admired your determination, horsemanship and ability to see the best in life despite some rough times.
I think we need a few selected photos showing Ted growing up over the years :)

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted is very grateful for all his birthday wishes, he hasn't had the best of birthdays. Presents were scarce to be honest and the hope of an entire bale of haylage to himself or access to acres of fresh grass didn't happen, but Alice finally fulfilled her promise of buying Ted pink PJ's. He was snoozing when she sneaked her Ipad in to take a picture of him. I have promised him he will never been seen in public in pink and that he should be grateful that his girlfriend bought him a birthday present. Alice is under strict instructions NOT to buy him matching socks.

2jewm1f.jpg

He also had an unwanted birthday present of the biggest pair of grass glands that I have ever seen on a horse, not something he has ever had in the past. The only difference was the weather, it was the first night of the extreme rain. He is back to normal now but it took several days to go down completely. He and Dim Tim were feeling well this morning and are currently available to the first circus to apply.

2lbfe2s.jpg

aowc2o.jpg

2uhmjpe.jpg

wu2k3p.jpg

The pair of them have their dental check later, lets hope there is no waving to the vet !

AdorableAlice

Visit site
A week from hell that left Ted facing a very real prospect of losing his girlfriend Adorable Alice and us losing a home bred horse.

Words can’t express my thanks and gratitude to my vets MacArthur Barstow & Gibbs plus The Three Counties Equine Hospital.

One weekend spent winning a big class of hunters and qualifying for the ID National Championship Show and the next weekend with her in theatre. You really couldn’t make it up and just so typical of the highs and lows of horse keeping I suppose.

For some unknown reason her longtime field companion (not Ted) belted her good and hard right on the hock joint. Thankfully she was found very quickly which was a huge bonus for her prognosis. She came home yesterday and is being a good patient.

She is known as sick note, but there are other ways of telling me she didn’t want to go to the breed championship! and certainly cheaper excuses too. Ted really missed her and was shouting at the lorry when we got her home before we even dropped the ramp. He has bought her flowers, sweets and a new lipstick to cheer her up. I haven’t mentioned to him that he might be sold to pay the bill, that might upset him.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Hopefully she will be walking under saddle by end September if all goes right with healing and infection control.

Hospital did say the speed she came to them from moment of injury made her chances of full recovery much more positive than a horse that had stood injured for hours. She was pouring synovial fluid when I found her.

Diddleydoo

Visit site
I'm so sorry she's been injured. Really glad that she was found quickly and the prognosis is good.

I'm sending healing thoughts your way

Sam_J

Visit site
I'm always glad to see an update on this thread, but not one like this! What a blessing you found her in time. Sending lots of healing vibes for Alice.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
:eek::eek::eek:.

Blimmin’ Nora. That sounds incredibly nasty. Can I ask what you and your vets did, as to save a horse with such an injury is very good going.

All best vibes for a smooth continued recovery for Alice.

I did nothing other than cry and beg the vet to save her just about covers my usefulness. I have to admit I was beside myself. My old boy is feeling the heat and has been tricky to keep comfortable, I had been trying to prepare myself for possibly having to make a decision as he has had a number of niggles over the past few months. But nothing prepared me for finding Alice in that state and it totally tipped me over the edge.

She was immediately given pain relief and antibiotics via IV and then assessed in the field to see if anything obvious was broken and when it was thought possibly not, encouraged to take a step on it to try and get into the yard which was 100 yards away and on level ground, she was non weight bearing and seemed quite shocked, but with a bit of encouragement she did take a step and then was able to walk quite easily which raised everyone's hopes. A second vet had arrived by then with the x ray kit and lots of images were taken, she did have a little sedation to help her.

Both vets were confident nothing was broken although a line of gas could be seen. She was then bandaged and loaded. The little star walked straight on the lorry and travelled well. The one vet rang the hospital and updated them, whilst the other shot back to their offices and emailed the images over to the hospital.

.A team was waiting at the hospital and she went straight to x ray again, she didn't need a lot of xraying as the images sent to them were excellent. I was then told she had to go straight to theatre for arthroscopy and joint flush, I said my goodbyes and tried to remember the wonderful surgeon telling me he was confident that she had the best possible prognosis because of how quickly we got there from point of injury.

We were sent home and I stared at the phone for the next god know how many hours, whilst writing the advert for the horse that had kicked her and being thankful that her backend is insured, not for enough but something is better than nothing. I also wished I had got up as early as I do in the week to get them all in, because had I done that there was every chance she would not have been injured. All week had been boiling and the horses were so pestered I had been getting them in by 6.30, on this fateful morning it was raining well, no flies, cool and I thought they would be settled rather than pushing gates to come in so I had a little rest and didn't get there until 8.30am. I found her under the oaks and I do wonder if there had been an argument about who had the best shelter, but who knows, I never will.

The hospital finally called me at 7pm and said the surgery was a success, very little dirt in the joint, no bone fragments or debris. 20 litres of flush gone through. She was down a long time and struggled to get up, apparently she sat like a dog for ages despite being given help to rise. Don't tell her, but the surgeon said she has a big bum and was comfortable on it !, what a cheek, she would be mortified if she knew that.

She was finally back in a stable a good while later and then had IV drip until Wednesday and then oral antibiotics. I went to see her Sunday and Monday and was upset to see how depressed she was. She didn't recognise me at all. Tuesday was much the same but I did take her for a pick of grass which she liked. I realised why she was so down on the Tuesday, she was locked behind bars because she had a permanent catheter in and allowing her to look over the door would mean she could rip it out. Wednesday she recognised me instantly and wanted out. I took her for a graze and this time had a tight hold on the rope because there was a glint in her eye ! The surgeons daily reports were positive and she was an excellent patient.

The catheter was out on Thursday and she had her top door open which she was loving and no one could walk past her without speaking to her. We were allowed to fetch her on Friday as there was no issue with her eating her meds and the hock was good. Her dressing was changed this morning and I saw the hock for the first time, it is clean and no filling. One of the arthroscopy ports is a little sticky and the face of the hock is sore from bandage pressure. She has a pressage boot on. She is on box rest but can be hand grazed on the lawn. She is a bit unsettled and was box walking tonight, but she sees all her friends going out and in normal routine, she would go too, so it is to be expected. She has various toys which she is ignoring. Stitches out on Saturday and then a teeny paddock will be erected for her. It is going to be a long and probably angsty week but at least she is still with us.

I am exhausted and relieved in equal measures.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I am sorry to hear about your worrying week, AA but so glad that she seems to be making a good recovery. All the best to all involved and fingers crossed that all continues to go well.

Adopter

Visit site
AA what a horrendous week, success at the show and then to find a frightening injury. As you say, thats horses there is always the unexpected round the corner. Good news that she is home and making progress, all her HH fans will be sending healing vibes and wishing her a speedy recovery.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Wow, AA, thank you for your detailed reply. How lucky we are in this country to have such good vets nearby. The vets from both of your practices pulled out all the stops. What did they replace the lost synovial fluid with?

It must be hard to handle the miscreant without bearing a grudge, although we all know that horses will be horses. Even my saintly IDx mare booted the senior mare on her hock last year, no idea why, but it was much less severe than this.

I’m sorry that the old lad isn’t too great atm, it must be such a worry.