My next equine project horse

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have been remiss and just caught up, so pleased this is still going thanks AA and Ted☺️

I am amazed anyone still remembers the furry fool and all his friends. We are all still plodding on and enjoying or should that be enduring the odd world of 2020 we are living in.

Alice went off the yard in the lorry for the first time this year last week to go and do some clear round showjumping. Her excitement was embarrassing, she had a disco on the lorry there and back, we were bopping, banging and swaying our way around the lanes. Three attempts to hurl the tack on her, note to self - tack up on lorry next time, at the practice fence she let out a huge squeal but no buck thankfully. Quite how an 80cm course produced so much dancing and prancing is beyond me, but she had fun and was certainly happy to be out of lock down.

Ted is having a bit of an argument with himself at the moment. He is living on the slimming world paddock and gets very excited when he sees me move the electric fence to allow more grazing. So excited that he then refuses to let me catch him to move him. He is not allowed to run feral unless I am totally out of time to play games with him or so annoyed that I might slap him (if I can get near enough !). There is no point in temper loss with him but at times I could throttle him.

So we stand in the field, socially distanced and have a conversation. 'Put your head in this and you can go in there', it is not ruddy rocket science, you have had 8 years of training, effort, money, love, care and loyalty, what part of that can't you understand ! Anyway, prices are at an all time high now, he must be worth a fortune, 17.2h weight carrier, handsome, schooled, travels, 100% in traffic etc. I shall advertise him, with the caveat of - bring your binoculars to view him.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
When he gets upset he does it in style. After 8 years of effort we have had a major set back. This was caused by a cow falling through the hedge into Ted's field. This was Wednesday and I can still barely handle him on the ground. Ridden yesterday and mega reactive.

The luck I am having with my motley crew at present is driving me to the point of giving up. It is a blessing I have no other interests other than sleeping and eating.

Attachments

• 120999467_1063240574146346_5021916810398190150_n.jpg
    120999467_1063240574146346_5021916810398190150_n.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 225

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted :eek:.

Mine once did similar with an unwanted sheep who broke in. Completely hysterical.

How’s Martha?

Home from her 3rd trip to horsepital 10 days ago. Tested for everything known to man all negative thankfully. Now having little to no access to flushing autumn grass to prevent any further colic episodes. She is now wildly bad tempered and prone to throwing anything she can get hold of, across the yard. Rode her this morning, shaken not stirred !

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Home from her 3rd trip to horsepital 10 days ago. Tested for everything known to man all negative thankfully. Now having little to no access to flushing autumn grass to prevent any further colic episodes. She is now wildly bad tempered and prone to throwing anything she can get hold of, across the yard. Rode her this morning, shaken not stirred !

My holiday fund has gone on vet bills this year so you have my sympathy. I don't envy you explaining a grass free diet to Alice!!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Noooo, it sounds like a real run of bad luck. Sometimes it can seem that they are self destructive fools or that the universe has it in for you.

I have simply circumvented the part where you hope for a sound, sane horse who can do stuff by simply buying one with major problems - so anything other than time off is a bonus!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
When he gets upset he does it in style. After 8 years of effort we have had a major set back. This was caused by a cow falling through the hedge into Ted's field. This was Wednesday and I can still barely handle him on the ground. Ridden yesterday and mega reactive.

The luck I am having with my motley crew at present is driving me to the point of giving up. It is a blessing I have no other interests other than sleeping and eating.

Oh Ted................

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I hope Ted and you are doing a little better now...

Thank you, that is kind. He is ok, desperately short of work, he does really need a new home with someone to give him the time and one to one he deserves but he would so easily be misunderstood and end up in trouble. So as long as I keep working and have access to the wonderful facilities I am very lucky to have, he will stay put.

Alice is having an ideal year, she loves doing nothing and thrives on it. Plenty of grub and opportunity to kip is her idea of heaven, much like her owner ! Her half brother is doing a bit of BD and has a few points now. He is another who needs moving on. The old superstar is truly ancient now but heading into winter in nice shape, will he winter, I honestly have no idea. He has the best of care and I am kind of prepared for the inevitable.

The gassy cob had another session a couple of weeks ago once again baffling the vets. She is now limited to an hours grazing in the morning and has had a hard standing area built for her outside her box. Many possibilities have been ruled out which is reassuring but still without an answer is so worrying. She is now on Equine 74 which has helped her, we have farts ! She looks fabulous and is feeling well, but with 4 colicky sessions, 3 trips to hospital and immense worry I am totally worn out. If only they could talk ! Christmas is cancelled and thank god for Lidl, I did consider applying for school meal vouchers for her !

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I often think that with a different owner some things might be better, but other things not. There is no guarantee that it overall will be better, most likely it will just be different.

Even though there is benefits with getting more one to one attention, don't forget that there is also benefits with being one in a group, and having a knowledgeable owner who understands him.
I don't agree with you using the words "he deserves", Ted was lucky the day you decided to make that lanky 10 month old foal your next equine project.

{{{{{{Vibes}}}}}} to the gassy cob, hope the Equine 74 continues to make her fart.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Gassy cob suggestion sorry ted....have you asked for a microbiome assessment of her gut microbes....there might be something there which is not helping the problem, which is over producing with the change to grass?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Gassy cob suggestion sorry ted....have you asked for a microbiome assessment of her gut microbes....there might be something there which is not helping the problem, which is over producing with the change to grass?
Good idea. I've heard very positive stories from friends of stressy horses becoming sensible, calm happy hackers after a full workup.