My personality transplant horse.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Remember my dispairing thread early winter about my horse being pretty unrideable at times, at best horrible to ride.
It got to the point a few suggested pts 😳
I admit I kind of gave up and just sulked and stressed about never riding all winter instead.
He was a prat, like he was living on nerves Well, spring has sprung, we are slowly back to it.
Again nothing has changed really. He’s still out all night and in all day as per last summer. He’s managed on the same feed all winter, just extra hay.
Yet we have had a personality turn around again.
He’s sleeping in his stable instead of racing circuits, grazing in the field and today, the real break through we got stuck behind two horses and kept a lid on it!
This is after following them a good chunk of the way, then parting from our nanny horse to do the last (sometimes treacherous) bit home alone… 60E899BD-0344-48AF-966A-844EB91C2A4C.jpeg

As you can see, loose rein and 4 feet where they are supposed to be 💝😊
We had a few looks at things but he didn’t even think of exploding.
Such a weirdo!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
You have my total sympathy as I also have a mare who is much trickier over winter. Thankfully, she doesn't seem stressed in the stable over winter, but she becomes a challenging ride and field time has to be managed carefully whereas in warmer weather, she's foot perfect to ride and happy to live out.
It’s a nightmare isn’t it. I get especially annoyed as i feel like I need to force myself to keep riding or it will get worse. In actual fact I don’t think that’s the case.
Must just be the weather/atmospheric changes 🤷‍♀️

Alibear

Visit site
We did all the vet investigations last year, and one thing they told me was to keep her fit, so I've had to keep up with the work. However, I've resorted to lunging and long reining more than riding to get through. She's also jut returned from a month at the trainers as she was just a bit to much for me. She only came home on Sunday but all good so far. I just need to get us through this week's cold snap and then I think it will all be fine again.

SEL

Visit site
From having two who become slugs in winter (done all the tests - just seem to have Equine SAD) I now have BabyCob who spends from Nov to March on his toes, spooking at nothing and generally being a knob. The first year I put it down to being a baby, but I had same again this winter.

I'm not sure why but I think he needs to be in a lot more work than my job and daylight hours (& weather) really allow so need a plan for next year.

Relieved yours is back to normal!

PurBee

Visit site
I was just considering equine SAD too @SEL . Now the spring equinox have happened, we’ve got 12/12 light and dark hours, and my pair have this week perked-up more too. This winter has been horrendous weather and ive seen them be affected by endless winter rain before, but rather than get hyper they are quieter.
If i rode them daily, theyd likely be more hyper if i didnt winter ride. I keep activities regular to at least keep them attentive and help through the worst. They are generally good with continuous vile weather, but we’ve never had it drag on literally daily for 5 months.
Theyre usually stoic and resilient but this winter season has even got to them at times, and us all!

Glad to hear your boy has turned around OP, onwards and upwards! Gorgeous pic 🙂

SEL

Visit site
I wonder whether some horses need vitamin E. supplementation over the colder months? Some vets are now advocating it for all horses.
I supplement my two winter slugs and it makes no difference....

Supplemented the winter idiot and it made him worse.

I'm actually planning to hibernate next year.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
If you ever find a cause please can you let me know. I have a personality transplant cob and I've no idea what is causing it. He's been checked by the vet but typically whenever the vet has been there he's been having a good day so he probably thinks I'm being iver dramatic. I've tried rugging less and rugging more and he's been getting vit e.

As soon as the weather turns and its cold, wet and windy he's spooky and it just seems like he's furious at everything. The few days of good weather we had last week really highlighted the difference in him, he was suddenly his normal cuddly calm friendly self. Then it rained again yesterday and despite being in a full neck rug and perfectly warm he was again spooky and furious at everything, he's impatient to go out in the morning but once out realises he hates the rain so now I put him out, he gets mad about it and then 5 minutes later he comes in again and eats his haynet.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
The only thing left that this can be, surely, is the length and brightness of the light in winter. That he has a kind of equine Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Next winter I would try stuffing him as full as is safe with vitamin D.

I'm off to research light duration and density effects on horses now!

mini-eventer

Visit site
Mine is similar but not quote as extreme. I have had to ride 6 days a week all through winder to keep a lid on him 🥱 He is chilling a bit more now so looking forward to some let down time in summer

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I wonder whether some horses need vitamin E. supplementation over the colder months? Some vets are now advocating it for all horses.
He had it, along with about a million other supplements tried over the past few winters.
The only thing left that this can be, surely, is the length and brightness of the light in winter. That he has a kind of equine Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Next winter I would try stuffing him as full as is safe with vitamin D.

I'm off to research light duration and density effects on horses now!
Let me know if you find anything! Thank you for your support with him, trying to find an explanation, appreciated it lots.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Let me know if you find anything! Thank you for your support with him, trying to find an explanation, appreciated it lots.

20 year old research that showed exposure to artificial bright light in winter improved both performance and attitude.

Also a few references to horses being crepuscular meaning their activity levels are higher at dawn and dusk. In winter, my guess would be that you are more likely to be riding close to those times, which may have some impact.

I think he lives out? Are you able to stable him an hour before riding and use human SAD light box?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
This is interesting because current yard keeps stable lights on a summer schedule in the winter (with timers) for the horses since they are in at night. It's mostly because some don't want them to grow such a thick coat, but I wonder if it impacts SAD and/or mood 🤔

poiuytrewq

Visit site
20 year old research that showed exposure to artificial bright light in winter improved both performance and attitude.

Also a few references to horses being crepuscular meaning their activity levels are higher at dawn and dusk. In winter, my guess would be that you are more likely to be riding close to those times, which may have some impact.

I think he lives out? Are you able to stable him an hour before riding and use human SAD light box?
This was the first winter he spent out over night.
Usually I bring in but I had thought there was probably a link between less turn out and his behaviour so I stuck to summer routine this winter. So he comes in between 6 and 7 am work dependant and go’s back out 3-5.30
Ish pm.
I generally ride at about 10.30 but that’s not set in stone so yes I could easily time wise put lights on. I’ll read your link properly and have a think.
Interesting!!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Our nanny horse and rider pulled out today due to weather so i took him and led TB round the village loop, figured he may count as company! Could have been a bad move as they don't get on all that well, its a bit love/hate.
There's no way I'd have attempted that a while ago. The first 3/4 of the way was really calm and quiet then Ziggy did seem to wind up slightly, I suspect maybe he heard something ahead or trotting the next road maybe. Nothing bad though just a bit on his toes. The hard bit there was him like that and the polar opposite TB trundling along behind :rolleyes:

They used to do a lot of ride and lead together but always the other way round. I find it much easier to ride the lazy one forward and hold the more forward one back. Its way trickier the other way round 😄
This, however is another pretty good break through. Its a half way to getting back to him going out alone when needed and me not relying on someone else to ride my own horse.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I'm going to look at lighting, he has a kind of square floodlight unit in his stable so i cant just switch bulb, neither do i have electrical sockets on the yard, so needs a bit of thinking about.

Ceifer

Visit site
I think I commented on your previous threads so forgive me if so. The only horse I’ve known like this had neuro issues. She was fabulous in the summer and calm weather. Winter she was a nightmare, particularly in the wind. Vet said the wind hitting her face would be very painful for her.

mavandkaz

Visit site
Had an interesting chat the other week with vet about turnout routines and light/vit d.
In the summer we turn out overnight and in during the day, and he was asking if we found a change in them, as research is pointing to it affecting their circadian rhythm.
I would prefer 24hr turnout but not an option, so go for longest time out that I'm allowed. We had one on the yard with EMS who could only go out for a couple of hours so owner supplemented with vit d.
Would be interesting to find some proper research

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think I commented on your previous threads so forgive me if so. The only horse I’ve known like this had neuro issues. She was fabulous in the summer and calm weather. Winter she was a nightmare, particularly in the wind. Vet said the wind hitting her face would be very painful for her.
I have wondered things like this. As i said before he is a bit of a head shaker.
How did they diagnose or confirm this?

druid

Visit site
I’ll Google that, never heard of it but thank you!

Blue light masks - effectively trick the horse into thinking it is summer. Expensive but if it fixed your problems... They do also do special lighting units to simulate daylight but the masks are easy to use