My position

Shoei

Visit site
Hi Guys,
I'm just wanting some hints, tips and general moral support regarding my riding position.

I have ridden for over 20 years, I have only been focusing on dressage for the past couple. I have lessons weekly at least. And my riding school in tests is not atrocious. But my position is AWFUL!

I very rarely see myself ride. My husband came and filmed this afternoon and honestly I nearly cried. My hands are moving about too much and my feet are jiggling around in rising trot.

I know part of the issue is my horse who I am working too hard at. He needs to be more in front of the leg which I'm working on. He is also a Gelderlander, so not know for there smooth gate, but I look like a total novice 😥

Any hints and tips greatly appreciated.

wren123

Visit site
I got my husband to video me and I was horrified too! I used to be a very good rider but I had a big gap and restarted.
What improved me was changing my instructor, working on my posture of the horse, reading books and watching videos and trying to ride channeling my inner charlotte duJardin, I did improve.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
When I had lessons on an RS horse and deessage schoolmaster I regularly got positive comments about my position. I now ride a tonne of Suffolk and look like I have no idea. I volunteered to be a Guinea pig for a stage two trainee and she said something and the penny dropped. I said I felt like I was all over the place and she explained that was to be expected when I'm trying to hold together a massive and unbalanced horse. My attempts to do everything on something the size of a car, that you simply cant get your leg around, isn't going to look pretty.

My point is it's not about how you look, it's about how effective you are as a rider. Some horses need you to look ridiculous. Get a good instructor and listen to your horse.

(Oddly though, and possibly shouldn't say this but swapped out my thin basic reins for some proper, nice, rubber covered ones and now my thumbs are actually on top! That wasnt the reason I switched the reins, the others were too short)

RachaelJC

Visit site
I saw a photograph of me riding recently and I clearly hold my right hand four inches or so higher than the left, which correlates wuth an unusually tight right shoulder issue I've been dealing with for the past month.

But now that I know, I focus on it to make it right.

So now that you know about your hand movement, focus on keeping them still and make sure you record your riding again to check yourself.

cornbrodolly

Visit site
Over many years of riding I developed some very bad habits - twists , mis-alignments , tightness. It took intense Alexander Technique training to get me right .The main things that worked for me
a) not to try too hard , as that tenses muscles and we cant then absorb movement
b)releasing the neck spine to get the back into an upright position.
c) allowing rather than forcing legs to drop
d)breathe!

nikkimariet

Visit site
Solution? Watch as many inspirational riding videos as you can. Watch them move with the horse, slow it down and rewind it and watch their subtle half halts and leg aids. Then watch your self. Then go ride. Then watch yourself. Then watch somebody inspiring.

It’s hard if you haven’t got someone on the ground as many benefit from ‘shorter/longer reins sit up shoulders back leg on the girth’ etc. But you CAN train yourself.

I’ve always been a neat rider but little things annoy me on my younger horse. Fig I have no problem sitting up tall and straight on. Rooni I get defensive (thanks Nova lol) and slouch, tip, and slide my lower leg back. I was SO disappointed with some pictures of my riding a month or so ago I started recording all my sessions and getting as many pictures as possible. Every stride I was shouting in my head at myself.

A bit hard faced but it’s worked and I’m almost pleased with how I look on him again lol.

chaps89

Visit site
I can also echo Alexander Technique - a while ago I posted a short video of me before and after a session which showed a massive difference, if you're able to search for it on the forum.
The ignorance bliss stage is great, no idea what's wrong. It is the semi conscious of your failings but not yet able to fix it stage which is horrid, but definitely a starting point.
Once you know there is an issue you can then start working on it. The way to fix it will be different for different people but at least you know what to work on and can try different things :)

emilylou

Visit site
Its no stirrups November! I have always found taking away the stirrups- and later the saddle has done wonders for my riding. I do most of my riding alone with no mirrors or eyes on the ground to help so if I am struggling with a schooling issue I take away my stirrups and suddenly the solution becomes obvious! Great for core strength and the easiet* thing to do. There is some great advice above too!

*meaning no help, thought or equipment required- actually not so easy to do!

Auslander

Visit site
I was a less than elegant rider (although effective) when i switched from riding baby racehorses to dressage horses - and it took a stint in Germany to make me realise that I was being far too busy, and working with what I had under me, rather than what I should have had under me - ie; I was working far harder on forwardness, suppleness and straightness than the horses were. Once i learned that the horse needed to be doing more work, and I needed to be doing less, my position improved, and I got pretty tidy.
All gone out the window now, as Alf and I just slob around on the buckle, but I know what I need to do if I want to ride properly again!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It does depend on the shape of your horse. On my round bodied cob I had big movements in my lower leg as he pushed it off his sides with every stride. On horses of a slimmer build that happens much less. I also realised the other day that I never have instructors telling me I'm twisting any more. Or that I'm not using my right leg. I obviously used to sit twisted to try to get my narrow hips to cope with his width.

On my four year old earlier this year I looked like a rank beginner as he threw me around the saddle with his inability to balance our weight and his own loose movement. The stronger he gets, the better a rider I look 😆.

For your feet, try riding a hole shorter. For your hands, try bridging the reins on the outside (hold the inside rein in both hands).

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think part of the process is firstly being a bit kinder to yourself, all of us are a work in progress and few are blessed with a naturally great position ;)
Try not to shy away from video footage, it is really useful but I agree with LC that it can be overwhelming when you see 10 things you want to do better - it's more achievable to pick one thing at a time and concentrate on that.

The saddle you are using is a big factor, as is the horse, for sure. I know I look loads better on a horse that has flat sides and goes for itself, than my naturally backward thinking round bodied welsh!

you are already having regular lessons so the first thing I would do after checking that the saddle wasn't pushing you around somehow, is to chat with your instructor and tell them you want to improve your position. See what they suggest :) also if you could arrange some lunge lessons either on your horse or at a really good riding school, that gives a good opportunity to really concentrate on yourself rather than having to try and do that while in control of the horse :)

Marigold4

Visit site
Subscribe to Dressage Training channel with Mary Wanless? Lots of really clear webinars explaining exactly how to improve position. I have no connection to it - I've just found it incredibly useful as I can go back over useful material again and again till I get it right. Watching her teach similar riders to me is v useful too. Her books are also good.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I’ve only been riding 3 years and only at a riding school, but I’ve improved enormously by getting my instructor to video me (on Welsh D with 5* energy saving rating) then she jumps on and I video her. I compare the vids for what I’m doing wrong (and could have cried many times at how awful I was). It has helped so much - got 7 for Rider Position in (first) Prelim recently, that would never have happened six months ago, plus ‘my’ horse appreciates it and goes way better too 😊.

oldie48

Visit site
Having seen a recent vid of me on Rose, I was appalled but once I'd got over the shock it was really helpful. However, one thing I've found really helps is working on getting the horse properly in front of the leg and soft over the back. Always a work in progress but it really does make a huge difference, I defy anyone to look good on a horse that is behind the leg and tight in the back, especially if it's got a decent amount of movement. A good trainer also helps as do mirrors!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Oh that looks mighty uncomfortable! Silly question, but what does it do / achieve?
looks like a wobble cushion. if you use them on a chair they are a bit like sitting on a gym ball, it makes you do "active" sitting and use your core rather than just slouching in the chair ;) I used to have one when I worked in an office. it also stopped my back from aching.

Shoei

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Re his saddle. The saddler is booked to come monday as I think it may need adjusting. She should have cone last week but was postponed due to floods. I'm hoping that will make him a bit less sticky.

I have dug out my old tripod so I can video myself.

Keep them coming 😁

hollyandivy123

Visit site
yep its a wobble cushion, i sit on it with the my legs lightly on the floor and use what is left of my core to balance upright..........took time to get use to and i had to increase the time to use over 1-2 weeks, no sit on it all the time and the waist band on my jeans went down a size and the belt up a notch or two..................you can also pop it on the floor balance on it and try and do squats etc

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
yep its a wobble cushion, i sit on it with the my legs lightly on the floor and use what is left of my core to balance upright..........took time to get use to and i had to increase the time to use over 1-2 weeks, no sit on it all the time and the waist band on my jeans went down a size and the belt up a notch or two..................you can also pop it on the floor balance on it and try and do squats etc
Thanks for this, never heard of them, think I’m going to have to buy one!

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Re his saddle. The saddler is booked to come monday as I think it may need adjusting. She should have cone last week but was postponed due to floods. I'm hoping that will make him a bit less sticky.

I have dug out my old tripod so I can video myself.

Keep them coming 😁

Just make sure that the saddle fits both of you, and that it puts you in balance. It would be useful to see some pics of the saddle on the horse, and then you on it too 😃