Mystery stable poo spreader?

xxcharlottexx

Visit site
Any clues on what is going on with my horses poo.

If I bring them in during the day and the poo gets left overnight or the horses stay in overnight I end up with my horses poo spread all over the place. He shares his stable with the mini but I don't think it's her as seems to be overnight when it breaks down even when they're not in.

Thought maybe condensation at first from the roof but now it's warmer it doesn't drip.

There is a little Robin around could it be him?

Worms, though they were done with pramox earlier in the year?

His poo has always been on the looser side but it does come out fully formed so is it just them trampling around but it never used to do it and I think it's fully formed when friend chucks back out in the afternoon but by next morning it's splatted?

It's only my horse. Mini and other 3 all as normal.

Very confusing!? IMG_20210324_100227_compress5.jpgIMG_20210324_100227_compress5.jpgIMG_20210324_100221_compress49.jpg

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I also think it's birds, but since they're only doing it on that horse's poop, and not the other 4, maybe it's a pure coincidence, but it makes me wonder if it possibly is something more desirable for the birds in his droppings, than in the other horses poop.
Could it be something in his food that he doesn't chew/digest properly, which might come out basically intact the other end inside his poop?

Or perhaps it's simply that his poop is looser, thereby easier to open, and rummage through, than the other 4 horses poop.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
the one of mine this happens to only gets sugar beet and cheapo pony nuts :p there's a pigeon that nests in the rafters between his stable and an empty one. doesn't seem to venture next door to root through the mare's.

PurBee

Visit site
I’d say birds too - theyre amazing at breaking up poop!
I’ve seen them fly out of my barn after rummaging the poop.

The other day i spied my gelding watching the birds rummage through his outside poop piles. He was so close to them, his head low so he could get a good look at these weird flying things, only about 12 inches away from them, the birds are obviously very used to him as they didnt fly off.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I’d say birds too - theyre amazing at breaking up poop!
I’ve seen them fly out of my barn after rummaging the poop.

The other day i spied my gelding watching the birds rummage through his outside poop piles. He was so close to them, his head low so he could get a good look at these weird flying things, only about 12 inches away from them, the birds are obviously very used to him as they didn't fly off.

From the birds point of view, perhaps he's just a giant, living, candy dispenser.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Rats will also do that. I have camera's in a barn and was horrified to watch rats sifting through the muck of my treasured super star. Measures were immediately put place to put a stop to that ! I only see evidence of rats when it has been very wet and the ditches are full of water. In normal conditions the cat is enough to put them off.

Crows sift the muck in my fields and pick through it until it is a fine tilth and impossible to scrape up.

PurBee

Visit site
From the birds point of view, perhaps he's just a giant, living, candy dispenser.

? hehee...i was amazed how close the birds hopped by his face peering at them!

The birds even hop around picking up the hay seeds when they’ve finished a net, especially in winter time. Lovely to know the haynets are also keeping the birds going through the winter aswell as the horses ?

AandK

Visit site
Birds or rats. I get this if I leave droppings overnight in my stable (horse is out overnight at the mo), so I skip out when I've turned him out, as it's harder to pick up when spread out! Handy thing is they also spread the little bits I have missed, so I can see them and remove in the morning... :p

hobo

Visit site
Rooks I would struggle to get back to the stable when turning out before the buggers were in and spreading. It all stopped when I stopped feeding hard feed they only have hifi and balancer now so no sweeties to eat.

Equi

Visit site
Deffo birds. This type of poo makes poo picking in the summer a pain in the ass cause all the birds come back from whereever they were in winter.