NAF Mud Guard Supplement

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
Further to my post below re: sensitive horse I just wondered whether anyone had used the above supplement and whether they think it works at all.

Didn't get any replies which surprised me - I'm sure a lot of people have horses with sensitive skin and I like the idea of working from the inside to help combat things on the outside - bit like taking vitamins!!

So if anyone has used this or similar please can I hear your experiences.

Thanks.

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
[ QUOTE ]
NAF mud guard sup does not work...

Come to that, most NAF products don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm that totally goes against what i think.

Naf Mud Guard supplement DOES work - i have a very pink skinned horse and he got mud fever very badly in the first winter i owned him.

Ive had him on Naf mud guard for 2 winters now and he hasnt had mud fever at all since the first bout.

wysiwyg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NAF mud guard sup does not work...

[/ QUOTE ]

Erm that totally goes against what i think.

Naf Mud Guard supplement DOES work - i have a very pink skinned horse and he got mud fever very badly in the first winter i owned him.

Ive had him on Naf mud guard for 2 winters now and he hasnt had mud fever at all since the first bout.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that truely so?

I bet you have changed your routine as regards to your pony?

Sups truely don't work.

It's all hypthetical.

Vicki_Krystal

vpequestrian.weebly.com
Nope - he still goes out as much as he did.
I dont have time to change my routine with my job!

I was as sceptical as you - i believe supplements are a expensive waste of time on the whole..

HOWEVER - this one really does seem to have proved me wrong and i believe it does work, as do a few other people that have started using it.

It the ONLY supplement i use, and only for that one horse, all the others get normal feeds with no sups.

Solstar

Visit site
it does work- I have mad no changes to my horses routine this winter, at all. he has been having the naf supplement since sept- he is scab free. i have previously had a vets bill for antibiotics etc to treat his mud fever every winter.

what works for one horse doesnt always work for the next horse though.

wysiwyg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it does work- I have mad no changes to my horses routine this winter, at all. he has been having the naf supplement since sept- he is scab free. i have previously had a vets bill for antibiotics etc to treat his mud fever every winter.

what works for one horse doesnt always work for the next horse though.

[/ QUOTE ]

SO.....It actually dosent work, does it?...your last sentence would confirm this.

Squeak

Visit site
Have to admit to it not working with my horse, but I started using it halfway through the winter when he had already had a bout of it and it does say that for it to be most effective it should be started before the winter so not sure it was a fair trial but I havent bothered trying it again. Have you thought of using one of the feedmark ones, called Benevit, I think, which is much cheaper( they always do deals) and I have heard good things about?

Snugglebum

Visit site
I haven't used it my self but my boss tryed it on one of her two horses as a test to see if it would work.She did find it to work and now has both of them on it and she now swears by it.

Shay

Visit site
Not only are supplements one of those things that work on some and not on others (the same is true of humans btw!) but I find treatments for mud fever also work on some and not on others. Plus what works on one yard may not work on another.

I'm intrigued to find people who do think this works as I have a pie cob X with almost permenant low grade mud fever. I was firmily in the "most supplements are daft" camp until recently. But I have found the NAF Ener-G incredibly effective which has made me doubt my scepticism.

I suspect mid muddy winter is not the right time to start - but I might give this a go next year.

Solstar

Visit site
martha79- i was saying that it does work for my horse, but might not work for guildfords horse.

are you going to put anything helpful into the post or just keep on slating something that works for others?

wysiwyg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
martha79- i was saying that it does work for my horse, but might not work for guildfords horse.

are you going to put anything helpful into the post or just keep on slating something that works for others?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not if it doesn't work.

There are other ways of getting rid of mud fever than spending money on something that may, or may not, work.

Washing the effected area, treating it, and keeping it clean and dry, does work.

Now, that is helpful, don't you think?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
It's got MSM and zinc in, amongst other things - is that right? Both of which are widely regarded as being helpful for good skin. I had a look at it a few months ago when my mare had mud fever. In the end I put her back on Red Cell which she gets all the time she is working, which seemed to help enormously (prior to that, the usual management suggested by M79 wasn't making much difference).

I would not agree that supplements don't work - if the horse doesn't have access to good quality forage and doesn't get much hard feed, the vits and minerals have to be supplied in a different way.

StinkiPinki

Visit site
It works superbly on my pink skinned warmblood, i just have to make sure hes on it before the ground gets muddy.

It has honestly completely cleared up what used to be quite a nasty case of mudfever with no other action from me at all,, i was already washing with teetree and drying long before i put him on NAF mud guard, its the only thing that could have made that much difference.

KS1

Visit site
Mud Guard DOES work and I haven't changed any routine apart from giving Mud Guard.

My lad one year suffered Mud Fever from September to March and I tired so many recommended prodiucts that was just like throwing my money away. It got so bad I had to call the vet who sedated him so he could shve his painfull legs. I must have spent around £500.

Then I seen Mud Guard and the following year and every year since I have used it and my lad doesn't get any mud fever at all now.

So yep I fully recommend it.

L&M

Visit site
When I bought a coloured cob he failed the vetting due to the severity of his mud fever. I nearly didn't buy him as our grazing was heavy clay, but liked the horse so much felt I had to take the risk.

When he arrived home I put him straight onto the naf mud guard, and smothered his lower legs with udder cream, and he never had mud fever in the 6 yrs I owned him!

I was lucky that it worked for him and would certainly give it a go.

Good luck!

Racergirl

Visit site
Im another one it works for - my sensitive skinned TB lives out 24/7 and come winter, our field is fetlock deep in thick mud. The first year she was out there, she had mud fever which i treated for a week, but without being able to take her off the mud completely, there wasnt much I could do. Started her on Mud Guard at double dose for two weeks, and it cleared without any further intervention from me. Cleared the rain scald she decided to get just to add to her attractiveness as well.

Feed Brinnicombe equine's think mud now (which is exactly the same,just cheaper!) and start early doors at normal dose, havent had a problem since.(with the rain scald or the mud fever)

Feedmark do a suppliment called Equi-Dermis, which is largely brewers yeast (and other bits and bobs)-I had red on that for a while, but it doesnt do as well as the others (though it doesnt claim to specifically treat fungal problems) though she looked amazing !!

ladyt25

Visit site
I think the mud guard does work but we used it last year after ours had already started with it. However, I wasn't convinced the sore legs were mud fever, we think the change of feeding (ie the introduction of hay) was more the cause. I haven't started the mud guard this year but am keeping an eye on te horse who developed the problem last year - so far so good.

I actually don't necessarily believe cleaning the legs or keeping them try actually works on its own as mud fever isn't really to do with the mud as such, it can be caused by diet change or the bacteria in certain soils that some horses are sensitve to.

I woukd never rule out using a supplement - some work for some horses, some don't. I would certainly say NAF pink powder works though!

LadyRascasse

Visit site

My old boy would beg to differ on that, NAF products are fantastic and really changed my lads life. NAF is the first company I go for if I need a supplement, for no other reason than it does what it says on the tin. Every horse is an individual and should be treated as such. sometimes they need more of a supplement that average and other times they need less.