Naked showjumping

trina1982

Visit site
Anyone remember the 'simply the best showjumping tour' with John Whitaker and Geoff Billington. John jumped bridleless and saddleless. And if my memory serves me well, they were deffo not 2' high!
I remember watching it as a teen and thinking - but how does he steer?? Thus my investigation into riding from my seat began lol!
Loved that video (tootles off to ebay.....)
Trina x

rhino

Visit site
Anyone remember the 'simply the best showjumping tour' with John Whitaker and Geoff Billington. John jumped bridleless and saddleless. And if my memory serves me well, they were deffo not 2' high!
I remember watching it as a teen and thinking - but how does he steer?? Thus my investigation into riding from my seat began lol!
Trina x

Ooh, link it if you do :)

Can I just say that it was on a very particular horse, in a contained arena, not a busy warmup arena, and he was not jumping in a grand prix class... While it is great it's not really a direct relation to the picture in this thread.

He also rides using this sometimes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/945000/images/_946490_whitaker150.jpg

Not exactly minimal tack, and he does market draw reins, as well as this

http://www.forestviewequestrian.com/ekmps/shops/forestview/images/pelhamroundings_lrg.jpg

which horrified me!! Although I'm sure JW knows the difference between a pelham and a weymouth :D

Last edited:

trina1982

Visit site
Yep Rhino, I know. I was just reliving a childhood memory prompted by this thread. It was kind of relevant, miss, honest. :p

As I have aged (nearly 3 0 now!) i have opened my eyes a lot more to stuff, and although i have found the dvd on ebay i'm not sure it will hold the same magic as it did when i was 13 or so.....

Trina x

rhino

Visit site
Yep Rhino, I know. I was just reliving a childhood memory prompted by this thread. It was kind of relevant, miss, honest. :p

As I have aged (nearly 3 0 now!) i have opened my eyes a lot more to stuff, and although i have found the dvd on ebay i'm not sure it will hold the same magic as it did when i was 13 or so.....

Trina x

I still have the Milton video somewhere :eek: :eek: :D

welsh horse rider

Visit site
Trina x

I have the link to the site it is sold on

8th down

http://www.equestrianvisionshop.co.uk/acatalog/Showjumping_Training_.html

:D:D

chels

Visit site
76079_1691061879050_1312840159_1869612_3171067_n.jpg

Why we need a studguard!
163962_1756698279919_1312840159_2003883_3389315_n.jpg

This horse is kind of a freak of nature though, kindest animal on the planet :D

chels

Visit site
I think in the end it comes down to the riders knowing their horse, and what works for them.
I know if I put much hardware on at once on my white boy, he would damn near turn himself inside out.
BUT in the same breath, had I ever attempted jumping my old boy in the cavesson and french link the white one wears, I would not have come back alive.
I do agree with the 'I'd rather see a double in good hands than a snaffle in bad ones' consensus though.
I'm going to slink off back to CR now, I am hugely embarrassed that I didn't read the OP properly and have posted photos I can't delete :eek:

rhino

Visit site
I think in the end it comes down to the riders knowing their horse, and what works for them.
I know if I put much hardware on at once on my white boy, he would damn near turn himself inside out.

The photos were meant to go on the fb page anyway :D I had posted a pic here with minimal tack but my horse is not exactly a top competition horse and it suits him.

Gorgeous boy - and so clean :eek: :D

intouch

Visit site
There's one thing worse than pain, that's the denial of pain. Wife beating used to be not just acceptable, but expected, even by the wife, to keep her under control.

MagicMelon

Visit site
OP, I looked at your FB page and think you've gone a little bit wrong in wanting people to post pictures of themselves with minimal tack and DROPPING the reins totally when in mid air. I dont think this proves anything! I DO agree that minimal tack should be encouraged though definately and I think thats the direction you need to go in.

texel

Visit site
Frederico Caprilli (the father of the forward seat used when jumping a horse) would be turning in his grave.

These days it seems it is all about winning, nothing wrong with that; but it is usually done at the expense of the horse.

Unfortunately the horse he is far too stoic for his own good sometimes. When in pain he may do nothing at all and tolerates it. In the wild mares give bith to their foals quietly for fear of attracting predators - giving birth is not painless - it damn well hurts alot.

However we do not know how a horse percieves pain we can only assume he does by the way he reacts to pressure from a bit for example by snatching the reins and shaking his head.

If horses screamed as loudly as pigs do, when they experience a painful stimulus, then no one would be riding !

The way to control and communicate with a horse is by understanding his brain.

If you want to ride your horse tied up with gadgets like an oven ready chicken that is your choice.

It seems the origial reason for this thread has been lost in the ether, ElaineH originally posted to ask for pictures of 'naked showjumpers' only a few people have posted their photos so far.