Natural weaning

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Sorry, that should be “MORE likely to stop milking in they can’t see or hear each other”. Only other advice is that they are all different and some will be less (or more) distressed than others, some won’t be bothered at all; some foals will be fine whilst their mothers will be distraught, and vice versa, sometimes both will be unbothered.
I got the typo! Did you wean abruptly or gradually! I’ve read for and against for both! Only had experience with abrupt - it worked fine and mare and foal coped well. I want it to be as stress free as possible - however there is evidence that prolonging the weaning process just introduces more stress for longer…so whilst this might seem better to us humans it’s not necessarily the best for mare and foal…but then there is the opposite argument 🤯 that getting them used to time apart is beneficial 🤯 I think it’s a case of suck it and see??

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I got the typo! Did you wean abruptly or gradually! I’ve read for and against for both! Only had experience with abrupt - it worked fine and mare and foal coped well. I want it to be as stress free as possible - however there is evidence that prolonging the weaning process just introduces more stress for longer…so whilst this might seem better to us humans it’s not necessarily the best for mare and foal…but then there is the opposite argument 🤯 that getting them used to time apart is beneficial 🤯 I think it’s a case of suck it and see??
Yes indeed, I've done both with minimal-to-no distress. It really depends on the circumstances and characters of the particular animals. Usually I'd just slip the mare away from the herd and put her in with other mares in a distant paddock. She may call a bit - or not, oftentimes - the foals usually don't give a stuff and just keep playing with their mates.

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Yes indeed, I've done both with minimal-to-no distress. It really depends on the circumstances and characters of the particular animals. Usually I'd just slip the mare away from the herd and put her in with other mares in a distant paddock. She may call a bit - or not, oftentimes - the foals usually don't give a stuff and just keep playing with their mates.
Fab! I think I’ll just see what happens! Mare will be coming into the stables and the foal staying out with the youngsters - I’ll just sneak her away one day! Probably shouldn’t have taught the foal to come to the gates when she here’s my voice 😂🤦🏼‍♀️

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Well, today something interesting happened! Foal accidentally started the soft wean process all by herself!

Top rail down in the field and she and her little friend escaped! No idea how long they were in there but everyone was very chilled at tea time when I came to find them!

I think I may well allow this to happen daily, just for an hour or so and increase time gradually until full weaning time…

Reactions: JBM

Alwaysmoretoknow

Visit site
When I had one deliberate breeding and one 'accidental' (orphan foal found wandering round the Forest and adopted by my shetland) I waited until 8m to wean when they were absolutely tired of each other.
They had been used to being turned out together so a bit of slight of hand was deployed to put wb foal and mum into their usual large foaling stable and then quickly pulling her out and replacing her with the wb foal's (orphan) companion and quickly shutting the top doors.
The mares were then quickly tacked up and ridden to a friend's yard out of earshot. Both were then offered distracting treats/small amounts of high value food . We were then able to open the top doors in about 2 hours and then were able to safelly turn the two babies out together in about 4 hours
No one squeaked, squealed or neighed. I think the mares were relieved to be shot of their maternal duties and the foals were happy to be allowed to become more independent.
Funnily enough the orphan foal and his adoptive mother are still together today and he will defend her with his life against any other horse or other threats that he perceives to be a danger to her while still being happy to go away for short rides.
We really don't give our horses enough credit for their emotional intelligence sometimes.

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Week one of gradual/soft weaning is under way!

Mare and foal cool as cucumbers with it! Happy as Larry for a couple of hours in adjacent fields. They stay relatively close to the fence line. I’m watching like a hawk, but no evidence of stress. No calling to each other, no fence walking, no noses poking through either side.

On returning to the stable at night mare will happily go inside for food and foal will happily wander round saying “Hi” to new things for a minute or two.

I’m sticking with this, because in my situation this has got to be less stressful for both? Right? There is literally no point in them being separated where I witness either being remotely unhappy…

I’m hoping to increase the time gradually so that come 6/7m it’s not even a big deal. From what I’m reading and asking other breeders it’s entirely individual and depends on the set up you have. If this goes to plan it will mean that mare and foal can stay on the same yard which will be much easier rather than hauling mare to my friends for 8/12 weeks 🤞

Reactions: JBM

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Week one of gradual/soft weaning is under way!

Mare and foal cool as cucumbers with it! Happy as Larry for a couple of hours in adjacent fields. They stay relatively close to the fence line. I’m watching like a hawk, but no evidence of stress. No calling to each other, no fence walking, no noses poking through either side.

On returning to the stable at night mare will happily go inside for food and foal will happily wander round saying “Hi” to new things for a minute or two.

I’m sticking with this, because in my situation this has got to be less stressful for both? Right? There is literally no point in them being separated where I witness either being remotely unhappy…

I’m hoping to increase the time gradually so that come 6/7m it’s not even a big deal. From what I’m reading and asking other breeders it’s entirely individual and depends on the set up you have. If this goes to plan it will mean that mare and foal can stay on the same yard which will be much easier rather than hauling mare to my friends for 8/12 weeks 🤞
P

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
I don't see why you would need to, given what you're doing, but 50ml (adult dose) of aloe vera a day is cheap, proven and will be harmless of not needed.
Gradual weaning is going well, but will give that a try ☺️ best to have it in and not need it. I really don’t think there will be any stress when 6m comes around - but with horses you never know, right? 😅

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
I was watching Cavan foal sales last day and was appalled to see a 3 month foal in the ring alone (weaned)
Was throwing an absolute fit the poor pet
She isn’t weaned, and she isn’t 3 months. She is very independent and wanders off in the field with her pals every day. So all I’m doing is putting my own mare in the adjacent field for an hour or so every day so they can see and hear each other. It’s gradual weaning. Not for everyone, but I’m my case is causing absolutely no stress as I have the set up for it. The intention is to REDUCE any stress for mum and foal. Any signs of distress and I wouldn’t be doing it. I’m just following the foals lead and growing her independence.

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Why are you starting the process before six months? (Just curious, I’ve only weaned one foal).
To reduce the stress at 6m when weaning comes. It’s not for every mare and foal as it can be more stressful if the foal is clingy to mum. This isn’t the case for me. So the idea is that I’m gradually increasing their time apart. They can still see and hear each other at all times. There is very limited nutritional value in mums milk come 4 months of age. So as long as your foal is healthy height/weight, independent enough for this not to cause stress and eating forrage/grain it can be a less extreme method than cold turkey weaning. To add to this - at present they are together for 20hrs a day. So it’s not that foal is going without milk. I can see them both from my house and I’m constantly checking that there is no fence walking or other behaviour that indicates stress. In fact the opposite is true. Im having to drag the foal in from her field and my mare is running to the opposite gate to come in at night. If foal wasn’t particularly confident id suggest that this method may just prolong the stress response. But I have a little diva and her mum is very grateful for a few hours peace☺️

JBM

Visit site
She isn’t weaned, and she isn’t 3 months. She is very independent and wanders off in the field with her pals every day. So all I’m doing is putting my own mare in the adjacent field for an hour or so every day so they can see and hear each other. It’s gradual weaning. Not for everyone, but I’m my case is causing absolutely no stress as I have the set up for it. The intention is to REDUCE any stress for mum and foal. Any signs of distress and I wouldn’t be doing it. I’m just following the foals lead and growing her independence.
I wasn’t referring to what you’re doing at all? I’m sorry if I’ve offended you I’m just talking about a foal I seen on my own weaning thread

I would like to point out you’ve turned my thread into your progress with your foal so please don’t snap at me for posting

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
I wasn’t referring to what you’re doing at all? I’m sorry if I’ve offended you I’m just talking about a foal I seen on my own weaning thread
Non taken - just wanted to clarify that I’m not trying to whip her away from mum before her time. I haven’t seen your other threads, so had presumed you were replying to the most recent post in this one 😂

JBM

Visit site
Non taken - just wanted to clarify that I’m not trying to whip her away from mum before her time. I haven’t seen your other threads, so had presumed you were replying to the most recent post in this one 😂
I would’ve quoted you if I was replying to what you are doing
As you are doing to me

HappyHackerK8

Visit site

I would like to point out you’ve turned my thread into your progress with your foal so please don’t snap at me for posting
I’m not snapping, and I’m not turning your post into anything. I’m asking for advice. I actually started my own on weaning and I think it was you (or someone) who directed me here as I’d started too similar a thread…

JBM

Visit site
I’m not snapping, and I’m not turning your post into anything. I’m asking for advice. I actually started my own on weaning and I think it was you (or someone) who directed me here as I’d started too similar a thread…
Wasn’t me but yes I did see that comment and I believe (correct me if I’m wrong) they were saying people had already given advice on your question here.

I understand there was a miscommunication between us but just keep in mind just because someone post on a thread after you doesn’t mean they are replying to you

HappyHackerK8

Visit site
Wasn’t me but yes I did see that comment and I believe (correct me if I’m wrong) they were saying people had already given advice on your question here.

I understand there was a miscommunication between us but just keep in mind just because someone post on a thread after you doesn’t mean they are replying to you
Duly noted. Also worth pointing out that if a thread is started; other people may well just hop on and ask questions about their own personal circumstances, or for clarification. So just because in one persons eyes the thread has come to an end - there may be further questions from someone else. This may be slightly frustrating I guess, but you can just unfollow the thread to avoid these frustrating people asking silly questions or irrelevant updates! I’m sure they don’t mean to offend anyone 😉

JBM

Visit site
Duly noted. Also worth pointing out that if a thread is started; other people may well just hop on and ask questions about their own personal circumstances, or for clarification. So just because in one persons eyes the thread has come to an end - there may be further questions from someone else. This may be slightly frustrating I guess, but you can just unfollow the thread to avoid these frustrating people asking silly questions or irrelevant updates! I’m sure they don’t mean to offend anyone 😉
Was simply stating that I had started this thread to ask about different methods and experiences from people who have done it
You have started using it to give updates on your own weaning process (perfect)
I then post on my own thread about a foal I have seen stressed from early weaning as I felt she was weaned too early.
And you respond to this as if I’ve singled out your foal? For some reason
I have no problem with you using my thread to update your weaning process I did have a problem with you assuming me posting on my own thread is somehow related to you

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site

I was watching Cavan foal sales last day and was appalled to see a 3 month foal in the ring alone (weaned)
Was throwing an absolute fit the poor pet
Put your pitch forks down…

This is where it went wrong 😂😂

@JBM was talking about Cavan horse sales… Not @HappyHackerK8 s foal ☺️

Just a wee mistook

Last edited:

JBM

Visit site
Cosmo has been checked by the vet and doesn’t seem like anything is dropping soon!
He’s pretty much weaning himself so he’s just going to winter out with the herd (mum included) and we will reconvene in spring as I kinda want his mum there for emotional support if possible when the ball drops!
He also has a little wart on his nose keeping an eye but I’ve heard they can be common on babies

Attachments

• 703BEDAF-CF1F-4E9D-A6D6-FCDF5E3F842D.jpeg
    703BEDAF-CF1F-4E9D-A6D6-FCDF5E3F842D.jpeg
    436.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 1F66EB64-17F5-4BB6-987C-12B3E2426B04.jpeg
    1F66EB64-17F5-4BB6-987C-12B3E2426B04.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 12