Navicular and diet

paddy555

Visit site
to get over your riding difficulties have you considered adding magox? I realise there is magox in pro hoof but adding a bit more has been known to act as a calmer and it is probably a lot cheaper than buying a calmer.

I add salt to my barefoot horses feed. They get around 50ml per day (500kgs) they also get a good 20ml scoop daily of bicarb (sodium hydrogen carbonate) I found the addition of bicarb had very noticeable effects for one horse.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I do not agree with you. If a horse has unbalanced feet, and particularly if there is collateral ligament damage, then I would not want it working in any area where it is constantly required to be turning corners or circles. There is a reason why turning corners is usually where navicular type lameness first shows up.

The objective is not just to build a stronger foot. The primary objective is to allow the soft tissue damage which creates the lameness to recover, and only subsequently supporting it and preventing it becoming damaged again by building a better strength foot. It's not just about a new foot, the damage has to be allowed to recover, and work on straight lines on supportive flat surfaces is more likely to achieve that result than turns and circles.

Tallyho, you are the only person I have ever seen advocate arena work and lunge work for the early stages of a navicular rehab.

Can you tell me where I have used corners? Is a wide circle a corner? If so, thats a new one on me.

Thank you ycbm. There is a first for everything and my boy recovered fully in spite of my terrible lunging habit.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Can you tell me where I have used corners? Is a wide circle a corner? If so, thats a new one on me.

Thank you ycbm. There is a first for everything and my boy recovered fully in spite of my terrible lunging habit.

I don't know of any lunge line available that would create what I would describe as a wide circle. A circle is a continuous corner, yes.

Some people may have no choice. But if straight line work is available, then imo it would not be sensible to work a navicular horse early in its rehab in a normal size arena, or on the lunge at any time and especially not on the lunge over poles as the OP rightly said she would not be doing (which is where our disagreement started).

I am glad that your horse recovered.

tallyho!

Visit site
I don't know of any lunge line available that would create what I would describe as a wide circle. A circle is a continuous corner, yes.

Some people may have no choice. But if straight line work is available, then imo it would not be sensible to work a navicular horse early in its rehab in a normal size arena, or on the lunge at any time and especially not on the lunge over poles as the OP rightly said she would not be doing (which is where our disagreement started).

I am glad that your horse recovered.

I can't see where I recommended poles either but, thank you.

tallyho!

Visit site
Not the school of thought for my navicular... although we are not talking making the horse go round like a bucket on the end of a rope here...

Just do it gently on a soft surface. Any exercise is beneficial. make sure it is gentle.

Here

I answered why, you told me I was wrong.

Yes so I answered... you are taking everything I say way out of context ycbm... what is it you're really trying to get at? I don't know that I've purposely gone out of my way to offend you?

Are you the vet here?

There are lots of vets and physio out there with some ideas that may be different to your beliefs. The ultimate aim is to get the horse well. You're welcome to speak to my vet if you seek justification to my actions so fervently.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes so I answered... you are taking everything I say way out of context ycbm... what is it you're really trying to get at? I don't know that I've purposely gone out of my way to offend you?

Are you the vet here?

There are lots of vets and physio out there with some ideas that may be different to your beliefs. The ultimate aim is to get the horse well. You're welcome to speak to my vet if you seek justification to my actions so fervently.

I am trying to make sure that people reading this thread who are trying to rehab a horse for navicular which is still on the early days of recovery like the OPs horse don't think that it is recommended practice to lunge the horse as part of the rehab.

Vets don't have a great record in knowing how to cure navicular syndrome, so no, I don't want to chat to a vet who told you to lunge a navicular horse thanks.

I don't have anything personal against you Tallyho, but surely you can't blame me for answering you on the pole question? . I am glad that your horse recovered. I am concerned for the people whose horses have not yet recovered. I am sorry that has offended you.

Last edited:

cellie

Visit site
to get over your riding difficulties have you considered adding magox? I realise there is magox in pro hoof but adding a bit more has been known to act as a calmer and it is probably a lot cheaper than buying a calmer.

I add salt to my barefoot horses feed. They get around 50ml per day (500kgs) they also get a good 20ml scoop daily of bicarb (sodium hydrogen carbonate) I found the addition of bicarb had very noticeable effects for one horse.[/QUOTE. Mag ox hadsnt helped in past and new hoof supplement has magnesium in it . I've Just started adding salt hoping tweaking his diet will help . I've added valerian last few days and can already feel a difference . Hes normally stressed in stable on his own but was happy enough last night . I'd like to do abit more so he can self trim and improve this boxy hoof 😀

tallyho!

Visit site
Good luck Cellie, these things take time. I remember how stressed I felt at the time. Really hope he comes right :)