Need for retirement livery

Amber54

New User
Visit site
Hi I am looking to diversify from sheep farming to doing retirement livery .
I have 50 acres, large barns plus stables.
I would be looking to start next year and would like so info on what is expected
I live on site, check all animals twice a day, and have plenty of natural shade and water.
What would you want for your oldy. Thank you

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
would want horse introduced to the herd gradually to avoid nasty kicks etc.....regular farrier visits, vet once a year for tetanus jab. depending on how bad your area gets i would want fly mask if my horses eyes got mucky due to flies,and a fly rug if horse has allergic reaction. , would also want phone call if horse didnt look right so i could decide whether to get the vet. option for having a rug in inclement weather if horse liable to lose weight and hay and /or feed given daily . if feed would want to be sure that my horse got it and was not pushed away so maybe have a small area taped off for those who need feeds... i have said what i would want and accept that i am a bit fussy and many other people wouldnt want half of that...any rugs,fly masks etc to be provided by the owner but administered by you...hope this helps

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yes I think you would need to consider all the things s45 suggested. My own retirees are pretty self sufficient and I don't generally faff with them too much but other people definitely would do - and I do at least have all the options covered should I choose them at the moment ;)

I would also want to be able to visit when I chose (within reason obv). as a new service you might have to do a bit of legwork to get a good reputation/trust. I have known horses be put in retirement livery that haven't thrived because the YO saw them as an easy way to make money rather than horses that require just as much care/monitoring as ridden ones. not suggesting you are like that OP, but owners may be skeptical at first.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
yes agree, would want to visit sometimes maybe once or twice in the first 6 months and less once i was happy that horse was being looked after would be happy to phone first to make sure it was ok to call in...... also would want to be able to have PTS at retirement premises with the option of being there if quality of life is not so good.

Amber54

New User
Visit site
Thank you for your input I would allow visits anytime and also send regular photos and videos if requested.
I have bred and shown my own horses for 30 years to a good level and have a lot of experience in the elderly.

Annagain

Visit site
This is a decision I could be facing soon. My old boy is oin the verge of retiring as he's sound for a few weeks then lame for a few weeks and repeat and I just can't bear watching him go through it all the time. He's mostly fine if left alone in the field. He can retire where we are, especially over the summer but last winter he got quite stiff when he was in overnight (which is compulsory on our yard) so a retirement livery where he can live out all winter with a barn to come and go as he pleases with a few quiet mates would be ideal for me. It would be the only factor that could make me send him away as I'd miss him terribly. The best of care would obviously go without saying.

Amber54

New User
Visit site
I am hoping to start taking horses in the spring any viewing is welcome but if needed sooner I may be able to help.

Annagain

Visit site
I am hoping to start taking horses in the spring any viewing is welcome but if needed sooner I may be able to help.
Where are you? I suspect you may be a fair distance away as we have very few sheep farms around me (even in Wales!)

Annagain

Visit site
Ah not too far then, I'm in the Vale but I work in Bedwas one day a week. I might be in touch in the Autumn!

gryff

Visit site
Have you looked at Happy Horse retirement home in Crai, between Swansea and Brecon. They have a lovely Facebook page which keeps owners updated on the comings and goings of their horses. It's lovely to see how well cared for the animals are. They might be worth contacting to see what services they offer.

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
There are no track retirement livery yards in South Wales? It seems to be something a lot of people are now interested in with oldies with metabolic conditions. Looks like it could be a bit of work to set it up correctly but fairly low maintenance from there on in.