Need to vent - sorry - farrier late again!

3OldPonies

Visit site
OMG he's really done it this time - a whole hour late - and no call or text contact either until I started to chase him up. Quite honestly if he wasn't so good and didn't do a group discount, I'd be looking for someone else. This is the third time this year that he's been late - and on one occasion he didn't manage to make it at all and I had to re-book.

Anyone else have the same trouble?

Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get him to me on time? I'm usually first call of the day, so it's not as if he's been on other yards chatting for ages.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Well despite living in the same county as me, we clearly don't have the same farrier. :p Mine is usually early, and if he's going to be late always lets me know. I'd have a word personally, but only if you are prepared to lose him and know of another one that can step in if you do. Good luck. :)

ETA maybe you could say, "Ermm yes I could do 9, but I really need you to be on time as I have to get away by 10..... " and see what his reaction is.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I always feel that farriers are like vets. It's virtually impossible to pin them down on time.

It's the nature of the job - and I certainly wouldn't be getting worked up about it.

bexcy-bee

Visit site
This is why I loved my farrier so much!

He was never ever late, regardless of what yard I was at at the time, he was the cheapest around and did a fab job!

In fact, he was nearly always early, sorry to rub in my good luck!

If it upset me that much I would ask why he was late, explain your taking time off of work or whatever to be there and need to get back ASAP, but personally it wouldn't bother me too much, an hour isn't really that long realistically

Bexcy-bee x

Buds_mum

Visit site
Take it from someone who does calls and visits people as part of their job, keeping time is IMPOSSIBLE!!!

You may think your the only person who wants him to be on time, but so did the last person, however the person before that dragged two trims and a loose shoe out for him to do without booking in, he's too nice to say no.

He also was stopped by road works for 10 minuets and his phone hasn't stopped bleeping and ringing since 5.30 am. Its now nearly lunchtime, he hasn't had breakfast, brunch but has had endless cups of coffee and really needs a PEE!!!

Your not his only client, he is invaluable to your horses soundness, and by god if he does a decent job give him a smile and wish him well!!

Or get him to come to you first, I bet he is never late to his first call!!! :p

Hackie

Visit site
Take it from someone who does calls and visits people as part of their job, keeping time is IMPOSSIBLE!!!

You may think your the only person who wants him to be on time, but so did the last person, however the person before that dragged two trims and a loose shoe out for him to do without booking in, he's too nice to say no.

He also was stopped by road works for 10 minuets and his phone hasn't stopped bleeping and ringing since 5.30 am. Its now nearly lunchtime, he hasn't had breakfast, brunch but has had endless cups of coffee and really needs a PEE!!!

Your not his only client, he is invaluable to your horses soundness, and by god if he does a decent job give him a smile and wish him well!!

Or get him to come to you first, I bet he is never late to his first call!!! :p

None of that is an excuse not to contact and advise you will be an hour late. It takes, what, 30 seconds to send a text or leave a voicemail?

I personally do not have time to wait for an hour, twiddling my thumbs, for anyone to grace me with their presence. Its so rude to assume your time is more valuable than mine.

Some people migt not get worked up over it, but if it makes ME late to get to work or see a client, I don't see why I should be happy about it.

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
When he starts off he's not to know whats in front of him, literally!! Naughty horse, naughty owner not having horse ready, giving advice, emergencies, silage trailers, road works, a cup of tea to re-hydrate himself, the list is endless......... put the time to good work polishing your horse or cleaning tack :)

If he's a good farrier put up and shut up. Tie your horse up and leave him to get on with the job, then he'll not be so late at the next place if he doesn't have to make small talk.

9tails

Visit site
3oldponies says she's usually the first call of the day, so he's got to be having a lie in. I expect my farrier to be up to an hour late, we are usually booked in around 3pm and start to worry if he's not there by 4pm.

Buds_mum

Visit site
None of that is an excuse not to contact and advise you will be an hour late. It takes, what, 30 seconds to send a text or leave a voicemail?

I personally do not have time to wait for an hour, twiddling my thumbs, for anyone to grace me with their presence. Its so rude to assume your time is more valuable than mine.

But its not their time its is everyone elses!!! Just send them a text before they are due ie. 'fetching horses in now, are you running on time? have to get to work!!'
You would be amazed how many people book the farrier for when they are on day or afternoon off, therefore assume others do. Yes its communication but farriers seem, to rightly or wrongly, be a privilege that we pay for. In my area anyway there isn't enough good ones to foible over time keeping!!

Feathered

Visit site
I'm the same as 9tails, I expect him to be late. My appointment is usually half 8 and he usually gets there about half 9. I'm always there on time and waiting though with horse ready, cos of course the one time I wasn't was the one time he was on time!

I don't complain though, good farriers are hard to find, especially ones that will come out for just one trim.

Buds_mum

Visit site
3oldponies says she's usually the first call of the day, so he's got to be having a lie in. I expect my farrier to be up to an hour late, we are usually booked in around 3pm and start to worry if he's not there by 4pm.

Why has he got to be having a lie in? :confused:

Sticking up for the service provider here, but you really don't know what comes up in their day!

I just book my horse in when I know I have the time to allow him to be running late, I do yard jobs and pootle about. IF I have to get to work then I let him know but luckily my horse stands fine so farrier happy to do him and chuck him back out.

Communication and good will :) (and beer at christmas ;))

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Well my farrier must be extremely organised or hard hearted and not do anyone any unscheduled favours as he has never been late by more than 15 mins.

I'm sorry but it takes 20 seconds to send a quick text saying they will be running late. They are a professional running a business at the end of the day, I would expect a professional approach and that is not ignoring your clients or the fact you are going to be an hour late for one and not notifying them! It's not like they aren't paid enough let's face it......;)

lottiepony

Visit site
ha only an hour???? I've had farriers in the past that have just not turned up at all :) I never expect mine to be on time but luckily he's fab as happily gets my girls in and shoes her whilst I'm at work so no need to worry if he is late :)

3OldPonies

Visit site
Honestly - I would understand if I were booked later in the day and he had run into other things along the way, but I am the first call of the day and then he goes onto the yard across the wayto do my friends horses. I just think that as he knows I have to get to work, it wouldn't hurt to let me know that he is going to be late. As someone said it is just professional courtesy to let your client's know, especially when you know that they are expected at work themselves. (I have explained to him before that I am on a bit of a time limit when he was this late once before as he'd decided to go shopping first (yep, he did admit to that!) If I knew he was going to be late I could ask someone to step in for me in advance instead of rushing around like a looney trying to call in favours so that someone could be there to take any instructions about what needs to be done for the pony that is having problems with his feet. And before anyone asks, no I really couldn't wait any longer, I can't expect my employer to put up with me turning up half way through the morning. They're pretty easy going, but even so, it's just not the right thing to do.

By being late for me this morning, he was then late for my friend's horses which in turn has meant her YO having to phone and explain why she is late for an appointment. So for those poor people booked in this afternoon - well sorry guys he'll be running even later by the time he gets to you . . . .

Fransurrey

Visit site
Many people have jobs where things over run and make them late. In any other profession, the professional would be expected to communicate. Strange how some farriers are never late (mine is always early - as was his predecessor!) and if they do have to fit in lost shoes or lameness, they communicate. Last shoeing I was put back a day because of something coming up. Not a problem, as I was told the day before (and would have just booked a week later if the rescheduled appt was a bad slot for me) and I wouldn't have a problem if he called as I was getting my pony in, if it was a genuine reason for being late.

The last farrier that was late for me had such an ear bashing the poor guy had his tail well and truly between his legs. My pony had been stood waiting for nearly two hours, after which I turned him back out (then the bloody farrier turned up!). I sent a message back to the head farrier that they were fired and I wouldn't be recommending them to anyone. The reason for lateness was that a previous client asked if they could shoe TWO extra horses. I hope the owners kept them on, because they lost me as a client. I completely agree about them considering the fact that some of us have jobs which require turning up at a reasonable time. I got to work AFTER lunch, that day and my boss was less than impressed.

Jools2345

Visit site
Well my farrier must be extremely organised or hard hearted and not do anyone any unscheduled favours as he has never been late by more than 15 mins.

I'm sorry but it takes 20 seconds to send a quick text saying they will be running late. They are a professional running a business at the end of the day, I would expect a professional approach and that is not ignoring your clients or the fact you are going to be an hour late for one and not notifying them! It's not like they aren't paid enough let's face it......;)

this, mine has only ever been late for me (at home or at work) about 6 times and only ever 15 mins and i always get a call to say he is running late and thats in over 15yrs. he wont do unscheduled work for anyone and all of his clients know that. if it is a true emergency he gets up early or does it at the end of the day so he does not cause problems for his clients. he is slightly more expensive than the other farriers in the area and only takes on new clients if clients horses die and they are not replaced.

the amount of times i have been there when people who dont even use him come over and ask him to replace a lost shoe as their farrier cant for a few days and he always says no as he wont mess regular clients about

suestowford

Visit site
Ours have often not turned up until a week after they've been due, and we always book our next date while they are here, so always weeks in advance, but often get shunted by other things.
We never get a time when they are coming which can be awkward, but if I have to go to work I leave money and headcollars with my neighbour and she sorts them all out for me. I have a lovely neighbour:)
It is annoying when they don't come, but we are in a very rural area, as are most of the places they work in, there isn't always a signal for a mobile so sending a quick text isn't always possible.

3OldPonies

Visit site
WOW - suestowford - a whole week late - I really couldn't be doing with that! Like you I book the next appointment as one is finishing. I really couldn't cope with lateness on that scale.

TBH I wouldn't be so worried about the hour today, if it weren't for the fact that it keeps happening and I do have to be at work myself. Also the appointment was a week later than it should have been anyway!

Hackie

Visit site
But its not their time its is everyone elses!!! Just send them a text before they are due ie. 'fetching horses in now, are you running on time? have to get to work!!'
You would be amazed how many people book the farrier for when they are on day or afternoon off, therefore assume others do. Yes its communication but farriers seem, to rightly or wrongly, be a privilege that we pay for. In my area anyway there isn't enough good ones to foible over time keeping!!

But it IS their time - whether they be servicing other clients, driving or whatever they are doing that had made them late for a scheduled appointment.

Why should anyone have to enquire if they are running on time?

I know in my job, if I am visitng a client and I am late, I take the initative and advise them of the situation - it would never occur to me not to do otherwise, and it would be highly unprofessional.

As for assuming that I have the day off and so can wait for them - how does that work? Even if I have the day off, who is to say that I have an hour to hang around waiting for someone to turn up? My time away from work is actually MORE precious, not less.

Noone is saying that things don't crop up that cause delays, but its the frequency and lack of communication that is highly unprofessional, and I've never tolerated it from a farrier.

My last farrier was a dream - he would shoe without me while I was at work, I realise that won't work for everyone but even then, he always turned up when he said he would, as he'd call me after to speak to me.

PolarSkye

Visit site

This. I have had unreliable farriers before now, but my current farrier is wonderful - always on time, always happy to come out at odd times to replace a lost shoe before a competition or clinic, efficient, knowledgeable. Oh, and he doesn't charge to put in stud holes or replace a dislodged shoe. Just love him.

Bottom line, as service providers, farriers should be adept at managing their time and their clients' time - it's part of the job . . . and, as others have said, as customers we certainly understand that sometimes things come up - but it's hard to be understanding in the absence of any sort of communication. If Nick were going to be late (hasn't happened yet) I know he would find a way to let me know.

P

BWa

Visit site
Ha ha, I love my farrier, however he is terrible in terms of arriving when he says, an hour late is good going for mine. I just assume he will arrive at some point that day! I have been known to leave the farrier to catch mine! It's a good job he is good at what he does!

fatpiggy

Visit site
Only an hour late - count yourself lucky. I had a very skilled farrier but he was totally up himself and used to slag off other people's work, and he was NEVER even remotely on time. I always booked 6 weeks ahead as soon as he finished my horse so it wasn't like I was expecting him to fit me in at short notice. One time he was booked for 11 am and didn't turn up until mid afternoon (good job I'd taken the whole day off work). I didn't dare leave the yard so had to go most of the day on just my breakfast (at 6am!). He never answered his phone and despite having my number, never ever called to say he would be late. The two straws which finally broke the camels back for me were when I'D made the booking for him to come, everyone else hijacked it and he left without doing my horse at all (I'll come back tomorrow, great another days leave wasted) and finally when he didn't turn up at all. Eventually I found out he'd gone on holiday!!! My horse's arthritis was worsening anyway and the concussion of roadwork in shoes was aggravating it so I took her shoes off myself, bought a rasp and just kept her tidy - she couldn't hold her front legs up for any length of time sometimes and would need to put them down again to rest. I didn't mind beause I knew she wasn't being naughty, and just nibbled away at them every weekend, but he would have got angry and hit her.

The trouble is good farriers know they are hard to come by so know they can get away with rudeness and being late etc because it is unlikely you will sack them.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Ha ha, I love my farrier, however he is terrible in terms of arriving when he says, an hour late is good going for mine. I just assume he will arrive at some point that day! I have been known to leave the farrier to catch mine! It's a good job he is good at what he does!

It's very likely that it's because he is so good at what he does that he is late. Good farriers are always in high demand and tend to take on too many clients and be very accomodating on lost shoes - lameness problems, vet visits. The farriers I know that can offer you an appointment at the drop of a hat are often the bad ones. or those slowing down ready for retirement :p
No excuse for not texting to say they are running late though - in this day of technology it's easy to keep clients informed.

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Only an hour late - count yourself lucky. I had a very skilled farrier but he was totally up himself and used to slag off other people's work, and he was NEVER even remotely on time. I always booked 6 weeks ahead as soon as he finished my horse so it wasn't like I was expecting him to fit me in at short notice. One time he was booked for 11 am and didn't turn up until mid afternoon (good job I'd taken the whole day off work). I didn't dare leave the yard so had to go most of the day on just my breakfast (at 6am!). He never answered his phone and despite having my number, never ever called to say he would be late. The two straws which finally broke the camels back for me were when I'D made the booking for him to come, everyone else hijacked it and he left without doing my horse at all (I'll come back tomorrow, great another days leave wasted) and finally when he didn't turn up at all. Eventually I found out he'd gone on holiday!!! My horse's arthritis was worsening anyway and the concussion of roadwork in shoes was aggravating it so I took her shoes off myself, bought a rasp and just kept her tidy - she couldn't hold her front legs up for any length of time sometimes and would need to put them down again to rest. I didn't mind beause I knew she wasn't being naughty, and just nibbled away at them every weekend, but he would have got angry and hit her.

The trouble is good farriers know they are hard to come by so know they can get away with rudeness and being late etc because it is unlikely you will sack them.

Frankly if you say you farrier would have got angry and hit your arthritic horse, because she couldn't hold up her front legs for any length of time then that is NOT a skilled farrier imo. He shouldn't be working with horses if he shows that disrespect for one. Terrible.

ponypilotmum

Visit site
Mine knows I'm on a tight schedule and books me in first thing. He's usually about ten minutes early and has set up by the time i'm there. Used to use a farrier who would just dawdle along at his own speed, and i'm afraid he lost my business. When you have shoeings and trimmings to be done, school run to do, work to do, kids round your ankles - time is important. He's brutally honest, kind and fair with the animals, and although more expensive than the cowboy up the road, he's worth every penny.
My vets do an any time any vet scheme, but will usually give you a choice of day / vet, and give you a specific time too. After years of idiots, and since moving to a new area I really value both my vet and farrier.

Misog2000

Visit site
My farrier is still my farrier as not only does he do a good job but he is always on time or early, my previous farrier did a good job but was always late so he got sacked. I work full time, and while work are flexible, arriving hours after I said I would doesn't go down well.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Frankly if you say you farrier would have got angry and hit your arthritic horse, because she couldn't hold up her front legs for any length of time then that is NOT a skilled farrier imo. He shouldn't be working with horses if he shows that disrespect for one. Terrible.

No, he never hit her for that reason but I knew he would have if I'd carried on using him . He would lose his temper if the horse he was doing got fidgety and while I wouldn't condone bad behaviour in a horse (that is the owners fault ultimately) shouting at and hitting a horse because it was losing its balance is not acceptable. He once slapped my poor girl across her muzzle in front of me - her crime? to turn her neck and rest her nose on his back. If she'd bitten him or something then fair enough, but she was just sniffing him. She looked so shocked and confused and I was mad because when I'd first got her she was terribly headshy. Our previous farrier had always said she was so good and well behaved that if he left her the tools she would have shod herself. He didn't even bother tying her up! As soon as anyone touched her legs or feet she would just go off with the fairies and spend the entire time in a trance. So when she started asking to put her feet back on the floor I knew she really wasn't comfortable.

paulineh

Visit site
I once waited all day for my farrier to turn up and he never did arrive. He had done this a couple of times , made every excuse in the world. That was the last time I used him.

I now and have done for the last 20 years, taken mine to the forge. Don't need to book 6 weeks in advance or worry that he will be on time. Nice farrier, somewhere comfy to site and even a cup of coffee too.Don't have to worry to have cash can use my CC