need your advice - tendon boots for a TB

bedbug

Visit site
Since I've always hand chunky boys I've never really had to worry about boots. Now the OH has himself a TB and they are starting to jump. It is mainly show jumping they are starting to do but may pop the odd solid fence when on fun rides.

Now I'm told that I would be best to get him tendon boots front and back.

I've looked on ebay and well there are so many different ones where do I start......HELP PLEASE

What makes a good tendon boot and can you get them for back as well as front (don't laugh told you i've never had to worry about them before)
What points need to be measured on the leg so you know your getting the right size
Oh dear what have I let myself in for I can see I am going to end up spending my life trawling through ebay listings...can I cry now
confused.gif

3Beasties

Visit site
My TB wears pony size Tendon and Fetlock boots
blush.gif
He hasn't got particularly weedy legs but any other size is massive on him and slip down!

I have Masta ones which are nice but ideally I would love sheep skin lined leather ones.

Sorry probably not much help to you!

Binkybex

Visit site
If you are going to pop the odd solid fence then I suggest a nice set of brushing boots all round as they will protect the front of the leg as well.

Tendon boots are open fronted for showjumping so that the horse feels it if it hits a pole, and no you don't have them on the hind legs, usualy fetlock boots are put on the hinds with tendon boots in front.

both types generaly come in pony, cob, and full. If the tb has long legs with a good amount of bone then buy full if it is the smaller type then cob will probably fit.

I couldn't say what type are best but the velcro ones are easiest to deal with. hope that helps.

Squeak

Visit site
I have a pair of premier equine in large for my 16.2 thoroughbred and they fit really well. For their hind legs they need fetlock boots rather than tendon boots and on the PE website they have a table for sizes. Also they have a SALE on atm
wink.gif

jumptoit

Visit site
Mine (16HH TB and 15HH TB x) have cob size Veredus pro light tendon boots for SJing as the plastic is flexible so it doesn't rub their legs like I found some other brand did
smile.gif
. I use either matching fetlock boots on the back or premier equine event boots, the latter I also use for XC.

Erehwemos

Visit site
I would recommend the plastic tendon boots with sheepskin lining - they are made by Roma, Kentaur and Eskadron (in order of increasing price!) They are ace - really smart and can be put in the washing machine.

duggan

Visit site
Tendon boots go on the front, and are designed to prevent strike injuries. They won't prevent tendon injuries. If the horse has dodgy legs give him the support from bandages, if he's quick with his hinds use tendon or speedycut boots. Otherwise, for general protection, just a decent set of brushing boots will suffice.
Its certainly worth putting a good set on him, if he's an ex chaser/hurdler he may well be inclined to brush through at first!
Woof do some nice boots, and they are a good fit for our tbs. We use club ones, and some of the expensive competition ones which I don't recall the name. Ours are all cob sized in front, but have some full sized hind ones. Measure the cannon bone before you go shopping
wink.gif

Good luck!

bedbug

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys....really appreciate it.

hehe....the saddlery is not far from me so could go and have a look and feel and ask a multitude of questions...they are used to that from me but they do get paid handsomly with all the gear I end up buying